All Topics / Help Needed! / Best way to Sell IP in Canberra

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of rusty05rusty05
    @rusty05

Hi wise ones,

We're considering selling our IP in Canberra. It's currently tenanted and has had the same tenants since we purchased it in 2006.

If we decide to sell, I would ring the PM and ask for one of the sales agents from the agency to do an appraisal. We've done this previously and she has simply told the tenants we were revaluing. Would it be the property manager's role to tell the tenants that we're selling?  Also is it acceptable to have other agents through for appraisals as well?

The tenants are on an expired lease and I really don't want the property vacant. I've heard people have offered the tenants some cash ($1000?) or a few weeks free rent etc to stay till the end and put up with inspections etc. If I wanted to do this, would I contact them directly or do it through the Property Manager?

Alternatively we could get them to vacate, give it a quick tidy up and then sell but we'd be losing rent and it would be empty unless we staged it.

Thanks for any advice.

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Hi Rusty

I'd at least get a couple of agents to provide an appraisal and talk numbers – you don't have to restrict yourself to using the agency that's linked with your PM either.

I don't think you need to provide the tenants with any reimbursement. It's a part of renting – properties sometimes sell. 

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of rusty05rusty05
    @rusty05

Thanks Jamie,

being the resident Canberrian on the forum, do you know anyone who does property staging in ACT? Could provide an idea of pricing for staging a small 3 bedder?

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Sorry, I don't know anyone.

Your PM might be able to provide some numbers.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of FreckleFreckle
    Blocked
    @freckle

DIY.. its dead easy. Either rent or buy some cheap new furniture.

We used to move stuff for a guy in Sydney who bought reno'd and sold apt's on the North Shore. He had a simple formula when it came to selling. After the reno we'd bring in 2 dbl beds, a chaise lounge, lounge chair, glass coffee table, glass side table and a tall modern lamp. A vase for table and two mid sized modern pictures – one for the lounge the other for the main bdrm. A cpl of things on the kitchen bench like a kettle & toaster set. Colored scented water for the loo and soft oil/perfume fragrance box or something to give the place a nice fresh pleasant smell.

Don't under estimate the value of smell when selling stuff especially property.

Only used to takes us about 1.5 hrs to pick the stuff up and set it for him. He'd hang the pics and make the beds etc.

He had his own stuff but you can rent furniture for this purpose. There's a few in Canberra. They usually deliver for a small fee too. 

I'm sure Dwolfe can give you more tips.

Profile photo of rusty05rusty05
    @rusty05

Ok, thanks.

Certainly something to think about.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.