All Topics / Value Adding / Painting yourself v hiring a painter

Viewing 14 posts - 21 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

I really don't think you can save yourself much money DIY-ing the painting if you plan to use paint brushes and rollers.  It is bewildering how long it all takes.  You'll spend what you could have saved on things like:

– petrol money driving to and from the site

– more paint, because you are less efficient at using it than the pros are

– speeding fines, trying to get home quickly after a long tiring day painting

– massages and such, trying to get your poor shoulders to recover from all the painting

– lost rent, because it took you ages doing the painting

Don't let your first DIY painting effort be a big one.  Have a go at something smaller, such as just one room, before taking on a big project.

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of CCMaxwellCCMaxwell
    Participant
    @ccmaxwell

We have just had our house painted by "professionals", and the result was under whelming to say the least. They left marks on the walls, uneven coats, they painted the wrong colours onto the wrong walls, and even had areas where they'd switched tones in the middle of the wall!

I really think that it is worthwhile taking the time to do the painting yourself, save money and maybe even do a better job. All you need is a decent roller and painters tape, as others have said here before me.

Good luck!

Profile photo of Lewis_AdamsLewis_Adams
    Participant
    @lewis_adams

Agreed mate! im in the process of painting my property myself and even though ive had offers to help i still find doing it myself i take more pride in the job! goodluck!!

Profile photo of Paul B.Paul B.
    @paul-b.

I find it a lot easier to paint the frame (with some overstroke onto the wall) and then cut the wall in to the frame. If you do it the other way around then you are attempting to paint the frame edging (usually less than an inch wide) without overstroking onto the wall and this is bloody hard.

Profile photo of Paul B.Paul B.
    @paul-b.

Thats disgraceful but you need to be on top of managing tradesman. You need to make sure 110% they know what you expect and what the scope of works is. I hope you didn't pay them until they fixed it up! 

Profile photo of RedwoodRedwood
    Participant
    @redwood

Hey mate,

Last year I painted my beach house and balcony myself.

Pros – 

Cheaper – cost me $1500 in materials plus my own labour and the quotes ranged from $13k to $20k. Added to that is the beer I drank during the dar – hey it was fun!

Paint quality – a lot of painters water down pain, which may reduce quality – they is an exterior paint job in a coastal area.

Cons – 

quality – I mentioned paint quality however, obviously, I am not an expert so there were a few spots in the high areas that were not the highest standard however, who is to say a 'expert painter' would not provide the same

Time – painting takes a long bloody time. Painting my balcony with beams etc took ages as did the exterior

Safety – My house was a double story – I can tell you I did not use scaffolding, just a ladder an paint can

However this is an exterior, the same considerations will be included for an interior including the smell, moving furniture, materials such as paint blankets and sticky tape.

Cheers, Ivan

Redwood | REDWOOD | SMSF | PROPERTY | FINANCE
    http://redwoodadvisory.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

SMSF - PROPERTY INVESTMENT - WEALTH CREATION AND FINANCE SOLUTIONS

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates
    Redwood wrote:

Cons – 

Safety – My house was a double story – I can tell you I did not use scaffolding, just a ladder an paint can

Painters are one of the few trades who can work off a ladder at heights.

Profile photo of DwightDwight
    Participant
    @bigvman

I love painting when I can. It’s mainly for the emotional investment and getting my hands dirty. It always takes longer than you think it ought to. I’d pretty much back my quality over a yellow-pages job.

But once you’ve finished the job, you say ‘Never again!’ At least until next time…

Dwight

Cashflow Positive Investor

Profile photo of TheFinanceShopTheFinanceShop
    Participant
    @thefinanceshop

I agree with Jacm – especially if you are time poor.

You just need to compare how much you sae versus spending the same time on other activities.

TheFinanceShop | Elite Property Finance
    http://www.elitepropertyfinance.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Residential and Commercial Brokerage

Profile photo of TheFinanceShopTheFinanceShop
    Participant
    @thefinanceshop

……and i’m such a bad painter its not funny. I just wasn’t born with that part of the brain it seems.

TheFinanceShop | Elite Property Finance
    http://www.elitepropertyfinance.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Residential and Commercial Brokerage

Profile photo of sciencesurfsciencesurf
    Participant
    @sciencesurf

Learnt something the other day that people might find handy if they’re DIY painting.

When you’ve finished with your brushes/rollers/paint in tray, and you know your gonna use then again shortly, stick them in a plastic bag and in the fridge. Works a treat and if your like me and hate washing up and choose to throw good rollers away, also saves you money. So simple I feel stupid for not thinking about it sooner!

sciencesurf
    http://sciencesurf.wordpress.com/
    Email Me | Phone Me

Click my website for the Sunshine Coast Property Blog

Profile photo of RUOKM8RUOKM8
    Participant
    @ruokm8

I just painted our place myself. Exposed beams, then all ceilings, walls, trim and doors. Definitely worth doing yourself, a full job like that would cost a fair bit, not sure where people are finding painters that would do it for $1800-$2000. Not in my part of Sydney anyway.

As mentioned by someone else, doing the trims before the walls is a good idea, I didn’t and its near impossible to do the trims without getting paint on the walls.

I also said ‘never again’. But gee its nice to sit back and see the work I’ve put in. Proud moment. :)

Profile photo of TerryTerry
    Participant
    @talsar

depends on the property
    if all it needs is a quick coat of paint because you are going to bulldozer it next year hire a spray unit and paint it all one color because it wont matter
    if it requires any form of quality unless you are an experienced painter get a tradesman you’ll save your self time and money
    and a whole lot of heart ache

also bare in mind that if you don’t know what you are doing any job you do will look great to you even a really crappy one

Terry | TRC Property Services
    Email Me | Phone Me

Remember: nothing stays the same and you can't make change with out changing

Profile photo of thecrestthecrest
    Participant
    @thecrest

Painted our 6 x 2 brm villas recently at our motel in Wagga. Doing painting all day created very peaceful days of de-stressing , plenty music, time to think, and very rewarding financially and otherwise. Throwaway roller sleeves reduces cleanup time, plenty of small plastic disposable handheld tubs, a damp or wet rag always ready for minor spills n drips, and good lighting for ceilings essential. Appreciate the info on spraying, might try that next time.
    Cheers
    thecrest

thecrest | Tony Neale - Statewide Motel Brokers
    http://www.statewidemotelbrokers.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

selling motels in NSW

Viewing 14 posts - 21 through 34 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.