All Topics / Value Adding / Painting yourself v hiring a painter

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 34 total)
  • Profile photo of baconbacon
    Participant
    @bacon

Just a question regarding painting.

Have an apartment with is close to 10 years old. Feels dull and could do with a fresh paint job.

Wondeirng Pros v Cons on doing yourself / hiring someone.

Pros obviously painting yourself saves plenty of money

Pros for hiring someone – better job?

What sort of cost do you guys see in terms of hiring a painter to do 2 bedrooms and a downstairs room –

Cheers

Profile photo of FreckleFreckle
    Blocked
    @freckle

Have no idea about pro costings these days. Bedrooms are about as DIY as you can get. Measure your wall area go to a paint supplier (Bunnings) and tell the what you've got and they'll recommend something suitable and quantities. Drop sheets are as cheap as chips and some masking tape (blue variety)  suitable rollers and long handle, paint tray and a few roller cartridges and Bob's your uncle. 3 rooms are a days work for one person even an amateur.

Make sure your paint is water based. Keep your colors light and airy for an impression of space. 

If your walls a pretty grubby wash them down with sugar soap. Don't use sponges. Cotton rags are best.

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

The biggest pain with painting is finding the time to do it. If you've got the time/patience then DIY is going to save you heaps.

Use decent painter tape for preparation and take time to prepare.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

All comes down to what you value your own time at..

If you work fully time and earn $20 / hour and a painter charges you $30/ hour then take a week off in crease your income.

If you earn $100 / hour then it is simply not financial sense.

Personally i would never do work on any of my properties but then some people love getting involved

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of Made_ManMade_Man
    Participant
    @made_man

i know the cost to paint a standard 3bdr house is around $3k and to buy the paint and material for DIY is around $500. price comes down to what you already have like brush, trays painting stick the less you have the more it will cost you. in saying that it will be less the next time around as you will already have everything and will only need to pay for the paint.

also like Jamie said you really need to buy good painters tape as the cheep ones are really hard to get off the wall and may event task some of the paint off.

cheers,

Steve

Blocked
    @freckle

3m Scotch Blue masking tapes are the best. Have a good edge seal for line work and don't leave residue.

Profile photo of wilko1wilko1
    Participant
    @wilko1

Airless paint sprayers online for like $400.

Spring white paint at bunnings /masters -$70 each, 3 rooms prob need 3x 15L tins. That's $210. (They can tint this paint also)

Blur painters tape, gafe tape and builders film to cover windows floors anything else, $150.

Total $760.

could spend 4-5 hours with good prep.

1-2 hours spraying 

1 to Pack up after.

m

extras money and time could include. If you are doing a different color on wall to ceiling. Cutting in

If your walls are new, old or flaking and require a primer,

primer about $100 a 15L 

would only need one coat. 

Profile photo of wilko1wilko1
    Participant
    @wilko1

And you get to keep the paint sprayer. For next time 

Profile photo of Paul B.Paul B.
    @paul-b.

Get on youtube and type in a few key techniques for example: how to cut-in walls, how to paint skirting boards, how to test if paint is water-based or oil-based etc. Just some simple guidance will save you a lot of heart ache.  The painting videos posted by bunnings will also give you a rundown of what supplies you will need.

Blue 3M tape is the way to go. Masking tape will peel the paint right off. Remember not to leave it on the wall for more than 48 hours otherwise it will peel the paint off too.

Another tip is to paint from the ceiling down. Also, paint window frames and door frames before walls.

Get in and give it a go, you can't really go too wrong (and this is coming from someone that struggles to hang a picture up). Crack a beer, crank up the ipod and enjoy!

Participant
    @jamie-m

Just don't leave that blue tape that freckle has mentioned on the wall longer than it needs to be – it's a bugger to take off if it's been there for a while. 

Cheers

Jamie

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of jmsracheljmsrachel
    Participant
    @jmsrachel
    Jamie M wrote:
    Just don't leave that blue tape that freckle has mentioned on the wall longer than it needs to be – it's a bugger to take off if it's been there for a while. 

Cheers

Jamie

still got mine stuck to the wall from 3 years ago. never got round to peeling it off!

Participant
    @jamie-m

lol – same!

I actually enjoy a bit of the DIY – it takes my mind of things and helps me unwind.

The last little project was painting the master bedroom on a Sunday arvo a few months ago. I left some of that blue tape up for a bit too long….it now haunts me every time I'm lying in bed. I keep telling myself I'll sort it out one day.

Cheers

Jamie

Email Me | Phone Me

@paul-b.

Also grab a tub of spackfilla and fill in any holes before you paint! Well worth the extra couple of minutes effort.

Profile photo of CatalystCatalyst
    Participant
    @catalyst
    Paul B. wrote:
    Also grab a tub of spackfilla and fill in any holes before you paint! Well worth the extra couple of minutes effort.

I can't believe how many people neglect to do this. I saw a house once that someone had bought to flip. They hadn't prepared the walls AT ALL. Just painted right over what was there. Chunks out of the wall, and the paint was so thin you could see through it. Sat on the market for many months. All to save a few hours work and an extra hundred dollars in paint.

@paul-b.
    Catalyst wrote:
    Paul B. wrote:

I can't believe how many people neglect to do this. I saw a house once that someone had bought to flip. They hadn't prepared the walls AT ALL. Just painted right over what was there. Chunks out of the wall, and the paint was so thin you could see through it. Sat on the market for many months. All to save a few hours work and an extra hundred dollars in paint.

I would be lying if I said I didn't consider doing the same. Lucky for me I pulled my thumb out.

How good a paint job ends up really is determined during the prep.

Profile photo of MRCCONMRCCON
    @mrccon

Do yourselves a favor and hire an airless spray gun from a hire ship

Or if you are doing alot of renovations they are about $5,000.

It will pay for itself in 1 job, I guarantee it.

If you are replacing the carpet in rooms, all the better, if not (or its floor boards/tiles) lay drop sheets.

Cut some builders plastic over any windows, just 2 bits of tape on the top architrave and let it hang over the window, do this over any windows and door ways where overspray may effect something (kitchens/windows/mirrored doors etc).

Try to stick to a neutral color to save time, and if your doing a modern house with square set ceilings, you can spray the wall color the same as the ceiling color. (I do it in older houses anyway)

These guns can be used to spray weatherboards etc as well, They can run 2PK paint, you can spray your roof tiles with it, fences, and if you put a fine tip in it,, you can gloss all of your internal doors with it as well.

The last renovation I did, I painted a 3 bdr house, inside and out (weathboard), roof, all the fences and all the doors. By myself, In 3 days, at just the cost of the paint.

Blocked
    @freckle
    Paul B. wrote:
     Also, paint window frames and door frames before walls.

We've always done it the other way around. We do a quick cut around the frames then go hard with a roller (walls) if we're not using a gun. The frames are almost always done with a 2" brush so the cutting is done then.

Profile photo of aussieguy2000aussieguy2000
    Participant
    @aussieguy2000

Painting the house can sure save you cash, I have done it myself about 5-6 years ago, I also did doors (same colour). It was not really that hard, though the scotch tape is a pain if you leave it on for more than half a day or so, though a small tub of sample roof paint patches over the few small spots well.

We didn't do the roof though, and I imagine that would be a lot more painful… we used brushes and rollers, was pretty straight forward. Any time I need to patch a hole or touch up paint in the house now I am confident with it, easy to do, even repainted a terrible part of the bathroom on my previous house with ease.

Anything more than just a wall or at most a room I would never do again, I still hate the thought of painting all these years on, as it was a pain staking 3 days preping, painting, and cleaning up… we didn't worry about the carpet either as we replaced that at the same time, lucky as we did spill some timber varnish in one of the bedrooms (was used for the window sills).

When you do it every day, it is easy, but when you do it once off everything takes forever, nothing goes to plan, and accidents happen you just have to deal with (lucky mine were fixed with sample roof paint and new carpet). Redoing painting and carpet at the same time would have been a huge cost, so it was good to save some cash, but I think I  will pay someone else next time.

Profile photo of Dtermnd89Dtermnd89
    @dtermnd89

Find the right painter mention cash and you’re looking at about $1800-$2000 for standard 3×2 with standerd trims and cornices in perth. I chose to paint my own house after the renos, i have painting experience through work luckily and saved $ and time. Unfortunately painting isnt just “slapping some colour on a wall” and first timers not choosing correct paints and having no fennesse may just end up paying a pro to make it look good come selling/renting time.

Profile photo of Eco BuilderEco Builder
    @eco-builder

One thing to note is safety.

We often see many people do their own painting, which involves paint prep.

For your own safety, and that of your family – conduct a simple paint test and check to make sure that the paint already on the walls is not lead based paint.

Sanding of lead based paints allows lead to enter he bloodstream causing all sorts of health issues.

Kids are most at risk as they are constantly putting things in their mouths, and are more likely to ingest lead!

lead test kits are sold at most paint stores and hardware stores!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.