All Topics / Value Adding / Renovation information and courses

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of ChrisA1ChrisA1
    Participant
    @chrisa1

Hi everyone

I am in a bit of a dilemma with moving forward in renos and as such I am looking into renovation courses and information.

From my reading, I have found that Dean and Elise Parker have a comprehensive pack available, Cherie Barber has her information packs and courses and Jane Slack-Smith has (had??) books and courses available (I am not sure if Jane is still selling her packs and/or holds courses as she appears to have moved into the brokering game – http://yourpropertysuccess.com.au/your-property-success-products/).

I am interested in Dean’s renovation pack as it takes the reader through all steps from sourcing the deal through to the renovation and Cherie’s courses sound excellent. What I would be interested in is a renovating ‘mentoring program’ to learn the fundamentals through the information and on-site seminars etc, then have ongoing contact so I could discuss options and walk through other renos to see understand their thinking processes (a three day course is great to get you fired up initially, however what happens two months down the track when looking at your own reno??)

There are some great comments on the thread at https://www.propertyinvesting.com/forums/property-investing/value-adding/4331689 but this thread seems to be a few years old now so I am unsure about its relevance now.

Appreciate any advice and comments, including how others developed their knowledge around what and how to renovate.

Has anyone bought Dean’s pack or attended Cherie’s courses – comments??

ChrisA1

Persistence is 'to keep on keeping on, no matter how hard the going may be'

Profile photo of OsmanDesignpacOsmanDesignpac
    @osmandesignpac

Hi Chris , As you are aware the project must stack up without costing you an arm and a leg before you get too deep financially into the job, andeven before you sign the contract.  Not all renovation projects are best suited for a renovation and an on-site design meeting to design a concept plan from which an estimate from a builder is good start.  With several hundred of renovations we have designed we have found that as a rough rule of thumb, budget on $2000 a sq.m. for renovations and or extensions. The best way to reduce costs of a renovations is to redefine the room uses which avoids removing walls and new roof beams  (e.g. the new kitchen to be located in a existing bedroom space that is to link with the new deck extension)

Naturally the size of the project, access and the standard of fittings will affect the final outcome  Of the several hundreds of renovations we have designed for clients, the estimates we have obtained from builders at the concept stages needs an extra 10% and a another cost review at final design stage add approx 3% to 5% from past history. 

Our fee to undertake an on-site concept design to get the ball rolling varies from $375 (2 hrs on site ) to $500 (3 hrs on site) which includes an hour or so back in the office to tidy up the drawing and organise an estimate for you.  We will also check out any Town Planning issues that may affect the site  as we can cater for that also as well as Survey and Engineering  The above fee is based on that the project is with 20 klms of our office at Underwood Qld  Visit our  web site for the link called "The Process"  Hope the above assists.

W: http://www.osmandesign.com.au   E: [email protected]

Profile photo of vendorfinancevendorfinance
    @vendorfinance

I am interested in Dean’s renovation pack as it takes the reader through all steps from sourcing the deal through to the renovation and Cherie’s courses sound excellent.

Profile photo of wilko1wilko1
    Participant
    @wilko1

If you were starting out trying to research how to do a reno successfully. I would try for a 2nd hand copy of dean and elises renovation guide.

a couple books throw in

start small, cheap house, inexpensive reno. Don't tackle something that is completely out of your depth If you are absolutely green.

and you wouldn't get into the reno fullstop if you worried about 2 months down the track, what exactly are  you worried about? 

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.