All Topics / General Property / IP at Gold Coast?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Profile photo of LC888LC888
    @lc888

I'm going to GC next week and am thinking of looking at some properties. I've read mix bag of predictions about IP in GC. One magazine said it's the spot to avoid and some experts said as GC's properties are at rock bottom that it is a good idea to buy now.

What do you guys reckon? 

Profile photo of TheFinanceShopTheFinanceShop
    Participant
    @thefinanceshop

Personally Gold Coast is not my cup of tea and I have been looking at it over a long period of time. I can think of a dozen places that tick more boxes in terms of Equity, cash-flow, renovation, etc plays. 

Why are you looking at the GC and what is the strategy?

Regards

Shahin

TheFinanceShop | Elite Property Finance
    http://www.elitepropertyfinance.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Residential and Commercial Brokerage

Profile photo of Nigel KibelNigel Kibel
    Participant
    @nigel-kibel

Certainly houses have fallen a great deal I looking at a 40 square house on the water near Mermaid beach they were asking just over 1 million, 5 years before they brought an old house built the current one, they paid $960,000 for that.

So my view is its a great time to buy a house to live in, however most investors make the mistake of buying holiday let apartments the overheads are often killers. There will be better opportunities in Brisbane.

Nigel Kibel | Property Know How
    http://propertyknowhow.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

We have just launched a new website join our membership today

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

I'm not a fan of the GC either.

I also kept my eye on the Logan market for a while back in 2010 and it doesn't look like properties have moved since, a quick search shows similar listing prices to that a few years back.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of LC888LC888
    @lc888

Hi All,

Thanks for your advice. I'm just going to be there for holidays, so, thought I can inspect some properties. No particular strategy, really. Looks like I might as well enjoy my holiday and not bother about inspecting any properties!

Profile photo of Andrew_AAndrew_A
    Participant
    @andrew_a

It's a big area, lots of different categories and markets. Excellent distressed buying, also yields are starting to look attractive, things like brick homes a few years old being sold at 7%+ in good areas as the builder has gone bankrupt, lots more like that.  Still a lot of negativity around, probably likely to continue for some time, though it has picked up in recent months.

If you are looking for a project such as reno and strata as one example then I know there are superb properties out there at the moment.

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Bought a PPOR house 5 bedroom on the water in Palm Beach in 1996 for $296K.

Some 5 years later it was worth $1.2M.

In saying this the GC in my opinion is a complete basket case.

There are good parts and there are parts i wouldn't buy if they were giving the Titles away in cornflakes packets.

Agree with Andrew some good bargains to be had with many distressed sellers but if you want regular and hassle free cash flow i think you can do better in other parts of Qld.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

@lc888

Thanks for your advice, Richard.

What about those suburbs not immediately at Gold Coast, such as Upper Coomera, Coomera, etc., where apparently there's an infrastructure development plan? Read something about it end of last year, but couldn't find the article anymore >.<

Profile photo of CatalystCatalyst
    Participant
    @catalyst

Positive Real Estate have been pushing Coomera for 5 years now because they build units there.

Just be very careful. When you don't know an area well you can easily make a poor purchase. One suburb may look very similar to you but may be completely different to the knowing purchaser

Profile photo of Nigel KibelNigel Kibel
    Participant
    @nigel-kibel

There is no shortage of supply in Coomera. Some friends of mine were developing there before the GFC. Guess what they have not progressed that far. As I said Brisbane is a solid and much safer market to invest in.

Nigel Kibel | Property Know How
    http://propertyknowhow.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

We have just launched a new website join our membership today

@lc888

Ok, thanks guys.

@lc888

Yes, agreed. The last time I went there was probably 15 years ago. My partner is from Germany and has never been, so, thought we would take advantage of the cheap jetstar mid week deal :-)

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek
    LC888 wrote:
    Looks like I might as well enjoy my holiday and not bother about inspecting any properties!

This comment wins on so many fronts it ain't funny. Mind you, as a holiday destination I don't think the GC is that great either.

Leave the cheque book at home and do your research from home. Sometimes the euphoria of a holiday clouds ones judgement.

Profile photo of BugalooBugaloo
    Participant
    @bugaloo

Steer clear of Beenleigh. Have been in since 2000, minimal capital growth and numerous tenancy issues, property manager  issues.  Can't sell, nothing selling for over three years.

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Really Bugaloo nothing sold for > 3 years.

Funny i have financed 3 sales in 2 months from forum members who have purchased an investment property in Beenleigh so not quite sure about that comment.

My Solicitor for the last 18 years runs the largest Conveyancing practice in Beenleigh and she is absolutely flat out.

Admittedly caution needs to be taken however i think your response was a slight exaggeration.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.