All Topics / Help Needed! / First Time Investor- New 2Bed Apartment Sydney – Help Appreciated :)

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Profile photo of katie_bkatie_b
    @katie_b

Hi Everyone

Basically I'm looking at purchasing my first investment property in the North Shore of Sydney. I'm interested in a new 2 Bedroom Apartment and I have a lot of questions I hope to have answered on the forums.

Please excuse my inexperience.laugh Although I have been researching and learning as much as I can on property investment, I still have many grey areas that I would love some help with. 

In summary:

• I wish to purchase a New apartment to take advantage of the First Home Buyer Concessions and use my First Home Saver account funds as my deposit. I have a budget of <$600,000. 
    • I will live in the Apartment for 6 Months and then I will lease it out and move away for work. 

I have my eyes set on the Meriton Development in St Ive's called the 'Alcove'. I have toured some of the apartments and was very impressed with the entire development. Does anyone have any experience with Meriton or specifically some of their St Ive's developments? 

Link- http://www.realestate.com.au/project-alcove-nsw-st+ives-600000071

Also I am considering contracting a 'Buyer's Agent' to negotiate a price on my behalf. Is this still a good option for purchases under $600k? I have a feeling there is discounts to be had in the market, especially for new apartments. I have researched some buyers agents and the results seem very promising. 

Prices for 2 bedrooms ranged from 550-650 depending on size and location. This included estimates of $550-$600 rental per week.  

What should I be looking for in an investment apartment? Anything in particular that is essential to secure high rental returns?

Any advice, tips or stories would be great. I need as much information as possible ! smiley

Thanks in advance for your help! 

Katie

Profile photo of Mick CMick C
    Participant
    @shape

Hi Katie,

Welcome to the forum.

—Meriton–

* One of the largest and most respectable developer; good quality build and on time most of the time.

* Their stock/properties generally priced slightly higher than the market compared to another OTP ( off the plan)- so hence capital growth can take a bit of a hit…

1. Your question " What should I be looking for in an investment apartment"

Depends what your after, every ones situation is different. factors to consider

– Your financial position and capacity

– Experience 

– Risk tolerance

– Support ( family/ financial )

– Short/medium and long term goal

– Comfort level with investing

– Tax

– Capital gain tax/ Land tax

– Where you are currently in your "life cycle" -ie expecting kids? marriage?

– Stability of work

Generally speaking, OTP carries a certain level of risk and i personally consider it an poor investment unless you have some extremely trustable knowledge source of information that advise you the apartment or location is set to increase in value….as it's very common for OTP apartment to lose it's value overtime due to oversupply, environmental factors, market slow down, builders over pricing, over supply of stock in the same development and lastly mass sales/off loading of stock by the builders and another buyers. 

Before considering OTP as your FIRST property- make sure you have a min 15-20% deposit ready to go …now not later + have a stable work history. 

Regards

Michael 

Mick C | Shape Home Loans
    http://www.shapehomeloans.com.au/
    Email Me | Phone Me

Same Banks. Better Rates. Served With a Passion.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Be prepared for a low valuation for new off the plan type propertie.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of katie_bkatie_b
    @katie_b

Hi Michael

Thank you for your post.

I understand the risk in OTP purchases and have thought about the increased supply of units in the area I wish to invest. 

St Ives was once a very traditional North Shore Upper Class suburb with High barriers to entry for buyers. As of the past 5 years, units and development have risen heavily, Although the area still remains very affluent. 

If I was to negotiate an excellent purchase price, maybe something in the line of 10-12% off the asking value- I would be a lot better off in terms of a short term fall in the value of my property as more units etc are built and offered?

If I have a look at DA's in the area and find out that further unit developments are not planned- this could suggest a steading of supply and a longer term capital gain as unit demand in the area is hopefully steady or rising?

In response;

– Your financial position and capability- 21 Year Old – Will be in a full time, High paid Mining Career end of 2013

– Experience- No Experience with Prop Investing

– Risk tolerance- Medium Tolerance to Risk

– Support ( family/ financial )- Good family for support both emotional and financial

– Short/medium and long term goal- Short Term- Get into property market at a good price- Medium- Lease for rental returns paid into my Mortgage- Earn high income from job and pour a lot of capital into my mortgage – Long term- Refinance to purchase more properties. 

– Comfort level with investing- Comfortable. 

– Tax- Soon to be high income earner with Professional mining job.

– Capital gain tax/ Land tax- Not looking to sell first property for a while

– Where you are currently in your "life cycle" -ie expecting kids? marriage?- Single, No Kids – 21 

– Stability of work- Stable career so far- Mining could potentially be unstable though am confident of earning high figures for entire career. 

Katie

Profile photo of TheFinanceShopTheFinanceShop
    Participant
    @thefinanceshop

I live in Gordon and think its a massive mistake to buy OTP in St Ives and surrounding areas. 

If you are looking in these areas – invest in land. The area is due for massive growth. You can pick up some really good buys around Turramurra. 

How deposit do you currently have?

I know you said you understand the risks associated with OTP but what do you believe they are? 

Regards

Shahin

TheFinanceShop | Elite Property Finance
    http://www.elitepropertyfinance.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Residential and Commercial Brokerage

Profile photo of DanielleDanielle
    Participant
    @dgirl

Hi Katie,

First, congrats on considering buying your first IP.

I can't get my head around the apartment idea though, especially in a complex of 300.  No scarcity value.  Guess I just cannot fathom buying an IP with no room for manufactured growth either.

Not to mention your equity will always be at the mercy of the surrounding sales — including the distressed sales.  So when one Owner in that complex has to get rid of their property quickly, guess what happens to the value of your unit? 

We all invest differently, so it's only my 2 cents, but I would be looking for something less than perfect, something you could extend, renovate or develop.  Likely not an apartment in a large complex. 

dgirl

Profile photo of Nigel KibelNigel Kibel
    Participant
    @nigel-kibel

Although I have nothing against off the plan, what you need to watch out for especially the large developers is that you often pay for future prices in other words you over pay on the front end and may end up with a short fall at the other end. Personally I would stick to smaller blocks say no more than 35. Also consider buying just as an investment and perhaps look to other states.

Nigel Kibel | Property Know How
    http://propertyknowhow.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

We have just launched a new website join our membership today

@katie_b

Hi 

Thank you everyone for the posts. I may of underestimated the risks involved with OTP. Thank you for pointing out the pitfalls of OTP. 

I guess I was looking for something to buy straight into and not have to worry too much about renovations or upgrades etc. 

Is it even worth taking advantage of the First Home Buyers Tax Concession on new apartments in Sydney? 

Maybe I should be looking for something to renovate or upgrade.

I am really pleased with the responses as I'm starting to realize how close minded I was in terms of Investment opportunities. 

Thanks!

Participant
    @thefinanceshop

One of the biggest problems with OTP is the strata – its a killer. Also there is a massive number of developments going up in Kuring Gai. Virtually at the same price you can buy land which is slowly disappearing in that area.

Regards

Shahin

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of ChrisA1ChrisA1
    Participant
    @chrisa1

Hi Katie

You talk about using a buyer's agent to negotiate a price. From what I understand, you can't negotiate a price for OTP purchases, the price is set by the developer.

If you are interested in using a buyer's agent, they can help you find a property from the start where you describe what you are after and they provide comments/suggestions based on your discussions.

There is a list of buyer's agents at http://rebaa.com.au/members/ or the good old internet search.

ChrisA1

Persistence is 'to keep on keeping on, no matter how hard the going may be'

@katie_b

Hi Shahin.

Thank you for your valuable insight into the local area.

I understand the area is booming in terms of medium density developments but what I don't understand is how these developments end up selling out?Or aren't they selling? In your experience, are people buying into these developments as a cheaper entry into the affluent North Shore, but in doing so buying at a 'North Shore Premium' and instantly losing value in the property once they decide to sell. How am I able to get the 'Real Value' of property? I notice these websites etc offering paid valuations of the property or area but is anyones valuation trustworthy? 

I do most of my searching on realestate.com.au. I don't seem to see many land offerings around the North Shore. 

I guess I am way behind in my knowledge and research. 

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m
    katie_b wrote:
     I notice these websites etc offering paid valuations of the property or area but is anyones valuation trustworthy? 

An independent valuation should be accurate. However, at the end of the day, it's the lenders valuation that counts – and that won't be able to occur until the property is complete and ready for settlement. Anything could happen to the market between now and then.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Participant
    @thefinanceshop

Ok just a few points – firstly they are not selling out and those that are buying in the kuring gai area are mainly from Asian decent and a lot of buying newer properties for their children (students). 

Treat this as as a business. Run the cashflow numbers and you will see how negatively geared these properties are. Also think about the property in 15 years time. Do think they will hold their value against the property which is say 25 years old?

You need to run the cashflow numbers against each property that you are interested in. 

You can order an independent valuation which will cost you around $300-$400 and this is generally reliable. Don't accept the developer's valuer for obvious reasons.

Re the lack of land in Kurring gai – what does that tell you? They are hard to find but they are there. There is currently a 4 bedder in Turramurra which I am eyeing for my own portfolio. It is going for around $700's and it needs massive reno but has the potential for a Granny Flat in the back. This is a much better short and longer term property than the OTP's. You do of course need higher deposit. 

If you going to take one word of advice – sit down and do the cashflow numbers.

Regards

Shahin

Email Me | Phone Me

Participant
    @thefinanceshop

Here is a quick snap shot on the pros and cons of OTP:

Pros:

1. High depreciation benefits 

2. Able to secure a property today with little deposit and can settle at a much later time say 1 or 2 years

Cons:

1. No guarantee when the property will be finished and normally it never finishes when the developer says it finishes

2. Workmanship is generally poor and you don't see it until its finished

3. Strata starts out relatively low but rapidly increases overtime (as little as 1-2 years)

4. Usually you pay a premium for the stock

5. Valuations are a massive risk when it comes to finance – this is less evident in Kuring gai constructions and more evident in an area like docklands neverthless a risk 

6. Very little room to manufacture CG as it is a brand new dwelling (this to me is actually the biggest bug bear)

Regards

Shahin

Email Me | Phone Me

@katie_b

Hi Shahin 

You've convinced me out of OTP :). I'm glad I posted on here. So much helpful advice.

I may hold out and save more for an actual house that I can reno.

Thanks Everyone

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m
    katie_b wrote:

I may hold out and save more for an actual house that I can reno.

Thanks Everyone

It's a much better option – at least that way you can manufacture growth rather than waiting for it to kick in.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Participant
    @thefinanceshop

That's great! You would be surprised how many people still going ahead with OTP purchases even though I explain the risks and cons.

Do the numbers and work on alternative strategies.

Regards

Shahin

Email Me | Phone Me

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.