All Topics / Help Needed! / Buy land and build house.

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Profile photo of Nue1Nue1
    @nue1

Hi all,

I have many plans going through my heads at the moment, but still a new to investment property.

I'm currently saving to invest and likely to have around 60k around May.

My first original plan was, buy a unit or a house, and rent it out in area of west of Sydney. But I see some flaws in doing that, either go for rental +/0/- CF or capital growth which is buy and hold, means takes time to "financial freedom".

I came up with another plan which is buy block of lands and build a house, then either hold for capital growth (and rent it out), or built then sell. A great challenge but need to plan things ahead before performing anything.

Since I have no clue with my second plan I need some advice and guidance here.

The process of building a house:

1. Know my budget, in my case it's 60k cash (also less deducted credit cards, and blah blah blah), and know my borrow capacity.

2. Buy a block of land, and my target is at 800sqm minimum, priced at 100k or a little more than this. The area that I'm interested to build is in Hunter region (near New Castle).

– To buy a block of land, is it a normal home loan to invest?

– You don't pay stamp duty on the land, just the closing cost. With this, so it will be a normal "out of pocket" during the process of building, to repay the loan, do I get this correct?

3. A contour and detailed survey and geotechnical report needs to be done, and passed it to the builder.

– Anyone know roughly how much this cost?

4. Builder show design concept to me, if I'm agreed, show it to Town Planner? If town planner is ok, then submit for DA approval? This has to be done by me or any other professionals can take care of this?

5. Construction Certificate, after DA approved? I believe having private certifier will speed up the process?

6. Obtain another loan called "construction loan", so this is the 2nd loan for construction which the funds will be release in stage phrases of constructions.

7. As I'm a time poor and live around 200km away from site, should I hire a project manager? and how? Is it necessary?

8. Wait for the construction to finish, during this period, the construction loan and original loan are in place, means I have to pay repayments out of pocket?

9. Once construction is complete, keys are handover to you, receive occupation cert from council or from private certifier, it's a happy ending to do whatever now?

-Do I get all these steps correctly? Please comment on anything to add.

-Roughly these processes should take no more than 18 months?

-2 loans are involved (buy block of land and construction loan)?

-All the loans, has to be out of pocket during the process of building?

-Providing that I have 60k, land is 100k, and house is around 250k, plus other cost 30k (council, professionals, and etc) total of 380k, will what I have be enough to cover?

Thanks in advance guys.

Profile photo of Nue1Nue1
    @nue1

Am I asking in the wrong section of the forum or Have I asked the not possible to answer questions here?

Profile photo of TheFinanceShopTheFinanceShop
    Participant
    @thefinanceshop

The process of building a house:

1. Know my budget, in my case it's 60k cash (also less deducted credit cards, and blah blah blah), and know my borrow capacity.

A: You need to know 2 things. One is servicing and 2 what your Funds to Complete scenario will look like. So with $60k cash/deposit what is the max LVR and thus to be constructed price. Do you potentially compromise on the land portion, construction portion or both.

2. Buy a block of land, and my target is at 800sqm minimum, priced at 100k or a little more than this. The area that I'm interested to build is in Hunter region (near New Castle).

A: Make sure the land is suited to what you want to do with it. Check for easements, etc.

– To buy a block of land, is it a normal home loan to invest?

A: In so many words yes but different lenders have different policies. For example, if you want to purchase a vacant land and have no genuine savings then you need to go with lender x e.g NAB rather than lender y e.g. Westpac.

– You don't pay stamp duty on the land, just the closing cost. With this, so it will be a normal "out of pocket" during the process of building, to repay the loan, do I get this correct?

A: Based on the above you fall under the threshold so yes there is no stamp duty. What do you mean by out of pocket costs? Do you mean the DA and CC process?

3. A contour and detailed survey and geotechnical report needs to be done, and passed it to the builder.

– Anyone know roughly how much this cost?

A: Who said you need a geotechnical report? You don't always need this. The survey is $1,200 and the Geotechnical Report if required is $2,000.

4. Builder show design concept to me, if I'm agreed, show it to Town Planner? If town planner is ok, then submit for DA approval? This has to be done by me or any other professionals can take care of this?

A: It depends there are many ways to skin the cat. You can get your builder to do the whole lot, you can go through a private town planner or you can do it direct with the council. I would go for option 1. If you have money and are time poor go with option 2.

5. Construction Certificate, after DA approved? I believe having private certifier will speed up the process?

A: Correct for both questions. Prviate Certifier will certainly be quicker but you will need to pay approx $2-3k in fees.

6. Obtain another loan called "construction loan", so this is the 2nd loan for construction which the funds will be release in stage phrases of constructions.

A: Correct. You can initially get a pre approval but for formal approval you will require an executed Buiding Contract, DA plans and Progress PAyment schedule.

7. As I'm a time poor and live around 200km away from site, should I hire a project manager? and how? Is it necessary?

A: No do it through the builder. I can refer you to a good builder in that area.

8. Wait for the construction to finish, during this period, the construction loan and original loan are in place, means I have to pay repayments out of pocket?

A: Yes? What other option is there?

9. Once construction is complete, keys are handover to you, receive occupation cert from council or from private certifier, it's a happy ending to do whatever now?

A: Yes.

-Roughly these processes should take no more than 18 months?

A: That is sufficient time allocated.

-2 loans are involved (buy block of land and construction loan)?

A: Correct.

-All the loans, has to be out of pocket during the process of building?

A: Correct

-Providing that I have 60k, land is 100k, and house is around 250k, plus other cost 30k (council, professionals, and etc) total of 380k, will what I have be enough to cover?

A: Yes – it then becomes a question of going into LMI territory or staying under. This is dependent on the long term IP strategy. If you are going to use this as an IP at a later stage – make sure you get a depreciation schedule.

Regards

Shahin

TheFinanceShop | Elite Property Finance
    http://www.elitepropertyfinance.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Residential and Commercial Brokerage

@nue1

Shahin,

Thank you very much for your answers there, easy to understand, open paths for me now :)

Mind send me PM or reply here which builder is it?

Thanks.

Nue1

Participant
    @thefinanceshop

Sure its Wincrest homes and ask for Clark – he manages CC and Newcastle areas.

Regards

Shahin

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of JothamJotham
    @jotham

On 800sqm could you build a town house for around 250k?

@nue1

I believe the majority of townhouses is 650 sqm.

Not sure about the price though because I did not plan to build a townhouse but two storeys.

@nue1

Very interesting to see that the prices of the builder charge for construction includes nearly everything that needs to be done, basically I only need to obtain block of land and contact the builder, and that's it!

Question for experienced investors though,

– I believe the downside for having builders do everything, ie. they will charge more (their profit) for their professionalism to do everything on my behalf to the council. That is likely my profit will be lower than expected? Do I get this right?

Thanks Shahin.

Nue1

Participant
    @thefinanceshop

Nope surprisingly that's not right. Make sure you read the Building Contract in great detail.

Regards

Shahin

Email Me | Phone Me

@nue1
    TheFinanceShop wrote:
    Nope surprisingly that's not right. Make sure you read the Building Contract in great detail.

Regards

Shahin

Alot to learn, won't know I see the big and long contract anyway.

Thanks again Shahin.

Nue1

@nue1

– Contour survey by registered surveyor

– Preparation of working drawings

– Council application fee or Complying Development Fee

– Construction Certificate

– Engineers slab design

– Sydney Water/Hunter Water fees (standard approval)

Are these cover the whole thing Shahin? Or have I miss anything out?

Profile photo of olivia18olivia18
    @olivia18

Thank you for sharing it….its really great and beneficial information you have provided to me and other people too…. in shorts you have defined role of property consultants in terms of financing a home………………………….

Participant
    @thefinanceshop

– Contour survey by registered surveyor

A: No you need to pay for this and its around $1,200

– Preparation of working drawings

A: If its a display home then the builder will do this. Note that display homes are considerably cheaper than custom homes. Not all builders do custom homes (although this is starting to change as the building industry is slow and everyone is trying to stay busy) and custom homes will be much more expensive.

– Council application fee or Complying Development Fee

A: Generally no.

– Construction Certificate

A: No. The certificate itself will cost approx $2k if going through a private certifier. Its the conditions of the DA that you need to pay close attention to. For example, the DA may say that you need to submit dilapidation reports, overflow paths, etc which will all cost extra and certainly isn't covered in the normal building process.

– Engineers slab design

A: Depends on the builder but yes its generally covered.

– Sydney Water/Hunter Water fees (standard approval)

A: Not this is not covered.

Regards

Shahin

Email Me | Phone Me

Participant
    @thefinanceshop

Yes here are some of the things:

1. Landscape plan 

2. Council Contribution Cost

3. Arborist report

4. BASIX

5. Stormwater and OSD Plan

Regards

Shahin

Email Me | Phone Me

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.