All Topics / Help Needed! / SMSF is it worthwile?

Viewing 6 posts - 21 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

We will forgive Terry for his spelling given his location. (In fact i thought it was better than my normal spelling and punctuation).

I think Terry actually meant  "A SMSF could borrow from a member to reno but couldn't use the property as security".

Also remember the there are Deductible and Non Deductible contributions.

Your Deductible contributions will depend on your age but in the main are limited to $25K per annum and include both your Employers Compulsory Guarantee amount as well as your own salary sacrificed amount.

Non Deductible contributions are limited to $150K per annum or $450K over a 3 year period and are paid out of post tax dollars.

Any Related party loan still need to be documented correctly although interestingly enough the ATO does not have an issue with you lending the money to your SMSF at a lower amount you are borrowing it at and claim a Tax deduction for the loss.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Hi Acutabot 

Regretfully access to surplus funds or cash flow from an asset owned by your SMSF is dictated by your age. 

This will be 55 +

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Participant
    @qlds007

Andrew there is no minimum or maximum percentage amount.

The Trustees of the fund formulate the Investment strategy of the Fund once the Fund is established (or amended) and they are then responsible for the investment decisions.

If you could justify that placing 100% of your SMSF money into property was a sound investment and your Fund Auditor signs off on it then it woould be acceptable.

Whether anyone would do that is a different matter.

Whilst i own a number of properties inside my SMSF (with nil borrowing) i also hold a variety of other income producing assets.

Personally i would never put 100% of my investment into a single asset class.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Yep. Thanks Richard.

JUst after I made that post I passed a fatal accident with the dead body of a motorcyclist on the side of the road…

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

Hi Terry

Yep it is a contribution as you say – though I've watched so many people scratch their heads over what that means that for the purpose of the renovation discussion, the only thing many folks understand is the word donation.  Only when that word is used do they seem to really understand they cannot then get it back out of super.

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Participant
    @qlds007

Terry, after seeing such an event i think you did very well to get out half the post you did.

Think i might have just and logged off.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Viewing 6 posts - 21 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.