All Topics / Legal & Accounting / What CGT and GST am I up for when building apartments

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of ApartofitApartofit
    Participant
    @apartofit

I have a block of land which was purchased in my partners and my name.  The block has  been rezoned R100 hence could potentially build 16 units on it.  I have advised to be careful re GST and CGT when the apartments are sold. Does anyone know what the implications are. The block is in Perth WA.

Also I would like some advice on whether we should be setting up a trust etc to do this development. Obviously the block is currently in our own names…….

Cheers

Profile photo of Dan42Dan42
    @dan42

If you are building to sell, the profits will most likely be treated as revenue income, rather than capital profits. This means that you won't be eligible for any CGT discounts.

You will need to register for GST. You will be able to claim the GST on your building costs, and will have to pay GST on the sale of the apartments. You may be eligible to use the margin scheme when selling the apartments, which will reduce the GST you have to pay on the sale.

As the block is already in your own names, it can be an expensive exercise to transfer it into a trust. You may have to pay stamp duty, depending on WA stamp duty rules re: transfers between connected entities. You may also have to pay some CGT on the gain in value between purchase date and transfer date.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

But it could still be worth considering a transfer to a trust for added asset protection and tax reasons. Do the numbers.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.