All Topics / Value Adding / Termite damage in floorboards – thoughts?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Profile photo of babyflynnbabyflynn
    Participant
    @babyflynn

Hi all,

I have found a good reno project, however the kicker is that there is termite damage in the floorboards and they would have to be replaced.

Anyone have any experience in this area and would be able to provide a guesstimate as to the cost of having this done?

Just a standard 3 bedroom house, single bathroom etc.

Thanks in advance!  

Profile photo of kateej03kateej03
    Participant
    @kateej03

Hi,

Not sure on the cost, but make sure you check that the stumps have not been damaged – this will be what costs you the most!

Thanks,

Kate

Profile photo of TheFinanceShopTheFinanceShop
    Participant
    @thefinanceshop

What Kate said – also and this too is a big one, is the termite activity active or inactive?

Regards

Shahin

TheFinanceShop | Elite Property Finance
    http://www.elitepropertyfinance.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Residential and Commercial Brokerage

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Tread carefully – it might look like a good deal on the surface but could potentially cost you heaps.

I take it that a pest inspection came up with the finding – do they have an idea of the extent of the damage and likelihood of it getting worse? Have they provided an idea of how much it will cost to rectify? If you get serious about the purchase – perhaps get a second inspection done by another company just to make sure the advice is accurate.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of IPBIPB
    @ipb

HI BabyFlynn, 

Did you get a pest inspection on this or are you looking at hoop pine floorboards in an old Qlder with borer holes in them?

Andrew

A builder.

Profile photo of babyflynnbabyflynn
    Participant
    @babyflynn

Hi Andrew, 

It is just a property I am looking at purchasing. It is qlder style and the the agent had disclosed the white ant damage however is of the understanding that there are none currently active. Another purchaser had apparently gone through and had seen only damage to the floorboards and not the bearers and joists(?). 

Just after a general idea if it is just the floorboards that need replacing to see if it worth looking further into it. 

Thanks for all the replies,

babyflynn

Profile photo of moxi10moxi10
    Participant
    @moxi10

Hi Flynn

Extreme caution or better yet total avoidance is the best policy here. I've been hired to do two termite repair jobs in my previous capacity as a carpenter. The damage to both houses was much greater than the owners had been lead to believe by several "experts" more qualified than your RE agent. In one of the houses I ended up literally propping up the roof section by section as I demolished and replaced almost every wall in the house. Then I replaced most of the ceiling joists and several hanging beams in the ceiling. The flavor of the rafters didn't seem to appeal to the termites, so I only had to replace two of them. The neighbors ended up complaining to the local council before the job was done, and two council inspectors paid me a visit on site. When they saw the extent of the repairs, they were not happy that I had proceeded without involving them. However, they recognized that the quality of the work was good, and when I explained that one thing lead to the next they left with stern warnings that I not repeat the exercise. The other house, while slightly less damaged than this one, was not a project for the inexperienced or faint hearted. Neither were cheap, and both impossible to budget accurately.

Profile photo of IPBIPB
    @ipb

Hi Babyflynn, 

I have been renovating and building for almost 25 years now and whilst i agree with moxi10 as to exercise caution. This could be an opportunity. Negotiate the purchase price down once you have determined to your best ability the extent of the damage with the assistance of experts actually looking at and inside the building. Do up some estimates of repair and add 30-40% to it and negotiate that figure off the purchase price.  Termite damage can be good. It scares other buyers away. Yet it can be easy to repair. Or if it wasn't inspected properly, a real disaster as moxi points out. 

<moderator: delete advertising>

Andrew

Participant
    @babyflynn

Hi Andrew,

Unfortunately it is in NSW and it is up for auction. But I agree that it could be a good opportunity depending on the extent of the damage. Having another look at the property this weekend so will have a good look around.

I know of some other very active investors who target this type of property and who do very well out of it.. hmmm food for thought.

Profile photo of DWolfeDWolfe
    Participant
    @dwolfe

Hi all,

Babyflynn, have you had your own pest inspection done? I'm a bit concerned that you have written 'the agent disclosed, and another purchaser' what about a proper pest inspection, what has that told you?

The problem with relying on other people rather than your own experts is that, as others have said, it could really cost you big time.

I did purchase a property with termite damage (vic) however the damage was minimal and the termites had been treated 5 years previously and were not active at the time of purchase. The agent disclosed nothing, the termite damage was found during our building and pest inspection which we paid for.

The only properties I don't pay for building and pest inspections on are ones I'm going to knock over!

Other than that, if you get an inspection done, and they say the damage is just in the boards, and an easy fix (you can replace the floor boards with particle board flooring and stick carpet or floating floor boards over the top) then maybe there is an opportunity for you to negotiate a good price. Just please do some more homework :)

Cheers

D

DWolfe | www.homestagers.com.au
    http://www.homestagers.com.au
    Email Me

Participant
    @babyflynn

Hi DWolfe,

Big fan of yours! Yes, I would definitely do more investigating ie. pest/building/thermal imaging etc however just wanted to get an idea if it was even worth going that far with what I know from the agent.

I agree that it may just take replacing the floorboards with particle board and carpet over the top – that to me doesn't sound like a major job though?

Thanks!

Profile photo of DWolfeDWolfe
    Participant
    @dwolfe

Thanks Babyflynn :)

It's one of those jobs that's going to depend on if you do it, or a builder and how much floor you have to re-do. It's not the worst job, and depending on the amount of floor it may not cost the earth, but check it out properly.

As Kate said above, if it's stumps, just start jogging quietly in the other direction.

If it's up for auction and you are serious, still pay for the inspection, it's a cost of doing business correctly. Even if you miss out on it at auction, or decide you don't want it as the termites are still crawling it's well worth the small sum. Better to burn $500 than $5000 or more…..

Cheers

D

DWolfe | www.homestagers.com.au
    http://www.homestagers.com.au
    Email Me

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

If they have gone into the floor joists ask yourself how did they get there? ie through the bearers/over ant caps etc? Where else did they go? ie what is missing – walls, roof space?

There may be a lot more damage that isn't evident to the inexperienced.

Profile photo of StormyStormy
    @stormy

Hi Babyflynn,

The first of three properties i looked at before deciding on the one i have just purchased had termites.

The property had everything going for it,close to town, a big flat block and nice reno potential without spending too much. I really had my mind set on this property. I arranged a pest and building inspection as a matter of course and low behold the property had termites. The inspector said he couldnt see live termites but there was termite damage in the subfloor and in the detached garage. I was still pretty keen to go through with the property but would renegotiate the purchase price to take in the repairs.

The pest inspector suggested i get a thermal check done to see if there were live termites in the property. I agreed, as I wanted to know if the termites had moved on and the damage was just limited to those two areas. A thermal check was carried out and live termites were detected in the wall of one of the bedrooms.The inspector also said you could hear them making a popping sound. The pest guy spoke to the tenant and was told that there have been termites there for ages. The Tenant said he has already lost two timber cupboards that were sitting in the garage due to termite damage. The tenant is a friend of the vendor and i cant imagine him not letting the vendor know about the termites.

The vendor seemed surprised that there were termites in the property and suggested that she would get it fixed for a couple of hundred dollars. I was still keen to go through with the sale but i needed to get a quote from a carpenter to see how much it would cost to repair the damage.

The quote to replace almost all of the detached garage, subfloor sections under the kitchen, and replace/repair damage to one of the bedroom walls was almost 20k. I was still wanting to go through with the sale and even suggested I pay 5k of the carpenters bill if she would reduce the purchase price down 15k. The vendor refused to budge, even putting her price up if she was to carry out any repairs. I decided eventually that it wasnt worth it and withdrew from the sale. The vendor immediately pulled it from the market and two weeks later it was relisted again but this time at a higher price. 

Shane

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.