All Topics / Help Needed! / Pointcook or SE(knox/Scoresby/Narrewarren/Hallam)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of smartcubesmartcube
    @smartcube

Hi all,

Iam planning to buy a house now (bought an Investment Pro 4 months ago) currently renting in S.E. I would like to know your thoughts on Pros and cons of going PC or SE (Knox/Scoresby/Narre warren/Hallam) areas Iam looking in SE suburbs.  Budget is 5K.i also need to consider School/Travel (Me Wife both work in City).

Ta

Profile photo of BreeceBreece
    Participant
    @breece

Hi SmartCube,

The first question I would ask is "for what purpose?"

Do you intend to live a simple life, close to schools, an activity centre with shops and amenities for you and your family to enjoy? 

Or are you looking to develop this property into 2-3 townhouses?

Point Cook has some advantages from a cost and amenity perspective, however there are very few opportunities to further subdivide the recently developed areas in and around PC.

Knox.. well Knox is another story when it comes to Town Planning. Lovely spot but they are doing everything in their power to avoid a gentle density increase.

The South East corridor has some benefits, from established communities, schools and activity centres, as well as reasonable public transport into town for you and your wife.

Consider your primary motivation and spend some time getting familiar with the areas as you narrow down your search.

Best of luck!

Breece

Profile photo of jmsracheljmsrachel
    Participant
    @jmsrachel

I’ll keep it short, stay away from point cook! It’s a nightmare.

Profile photo of PLCPLC
    Participant
    @plc

Agree with Joe. Point Cook would be a no go for me.

How do you travel to work? Public transport, car? Would you consider Hallam and Narre Warren too far to commute to the city every day for work?

What area are you renting in at the moment? Do you like it there?

Cheers

Tom

PLC | Phoenix Loan Consulting
    Email Me | Phone Me

Melbourne based Mortgage Broker | Making Finance Simple

Profile photo of BreeceBreece
    Participant
    @breece

Another reason we should be encouraging infill development…

A Tale of Two Melbournes

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/10b-price-tag-to-service-citys-growth-areas-20130212-2eb62.html

Profile photo of smartcubesmartcube
    @smartcube

Thanks guys for ur feedback.

tom/Joe,

Why would PC and areas around that be a no?(not that i want to go there) i see government planning to build another small city around there only 20 kms from city.lots of young families settling now.

We travel by public transport .yes i think hallam and narrewarren are bit far(this could change)renting currently in malvern and cant afford to buy a house there.

Breece

i would like to live in this place and if the land size is big enough develop a second unit in next 10 years or so.

was driving through knox/scoresby(anne rd/David Rd/kathyrn road) i see lots of big blocks(800 + sq) now with new units of 2 or 3.Looks like its going thro a lift up(old houses bought and new houses/units build on it).my kid needs to start his primary school next year so planning to settle in an area(which has some good schoolS) before that.

Thanks

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

re Point Cook, only one road out of the place and it is RAMMED during peak hour.  You've already spent ages on the road before you even join the freeway.  As for public transport, you will have to take that same road to the station, only to find there is nowhere to park.

Always do a couple of trial runs of the commuting situation of your target suburb in the morning and evening before you decide fork out hundreds of thousands to move in.

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of jmsracheljmsrachel
    Participant
    @jmsrachel
    JacM wrote:
    re Point Cook, only one road out of the place and it is RAMMED during peak hour.  You've already spent ages on the road before you even join the freeway.  As for public transport, you will have to take that same road to the station, only to find there is nowhere to park.

Always do a couple of trial runs of the commuting situation of your target suburb in the morning and evening before you decide fork out hundreds of thousands to move in.

I wouldn’t even call it a road. More of a dirt track.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.