All Topics / Help Needed! / offers over?? how much

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of no ideano idea
    @no-idea

Hey all hope you're having a stress free day! I've just found this site and hoped you guys might help me out smiley I'm a first time buyer and have seen a house I'm interested in but it's for sale for offers over $xxxxxx. It's been on the market for over 7 months now so unsure if the price has been lowered etc but how much should I offer above the price? is it a set % above? will the agent refuse to submit my offer if it was a tad below?

Any advice would be great many thanks

Profile photo of DWolfeDWolfe
    Participant
    @dwolfe

Hi no idea and welcome!

When looking at this property, have you looked at other sales prices in the area?

I'm not talking about realestate.com.au asking prices, but what the properties in the surrounding streets, and that are similar have sold for.

The reason I ask is that the main thing you need to do is research before you buy anything. Even if it looks like a good deal it mightt end up costing you a lot of money in the long run because you didn't know what you were buying.

So other questions you might ask are……

How long do properties take to sell in that area?

What is the condition of the house?

what restrictions are there on either the property of the use of the land?

Is there termite or structural damage?

Is there are feud between family members preventing a sale (seen it before)?

Is the agent rubbish?

There are heaps of questions you need to find the answers to before you run out an put an offer in.

Once you put an offer in writing the agent must submit it to the vendor (that is true for here in Vic, not sure what state you are in). The vendor can either accept it, ignore it or make a counter offer.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

D

DWolfe | www.homestagers.com.au
    http://www.homestagers.com.au
    Email Me

Profile photo of rusty05rusty05
    @rusty05

Well said Dwolfe,

I was only going to add that to me the Offers Over always screams "I really want more but this is the lowest I will happily accept." Doesn't mean it's worth that, and not sure if i'd be making offers above that figure but I know people do. It all depends on the true value of the property and what the numbers look like for you, not what the vendor wants!

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Awesome post from D Wolfe.

7 months on the market is a long time – unless they're not strongly motivated to sell, you should be in a good negotiating position.

I would disregard the asking price and work off the figure that you think it's worth – which should be based on a comprehensive due diligence process, which D touched on above.

Cheers

Jamie 

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of Kara47Kara47
    Participant
    @kara47

Have seen one locally "offers over $200,000" sell for $198,000.

Cheers,

Kara

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Yeah it's not uncommon.

Some vendors have unrealistic expectations. As a broker I see it a fair bit – properties that have been on the market for a while at an "offers over" whatever price end up selling for less than the baseline price they were after.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of Made_ManMade_Man
    Participant
    @made_man

just like Jamie said. Crunch some numbers and only offer what you think its worth, even if its lower than the asking. You may be the lucky 100 offer that makes them realise they are asking more then they are going to get. 

I have had offers accepted that have been under the offers above guide price.

Profile photo of Made_ManMade_Man
    Participant
    @made_man

Are you looking to purchase a PPOR or  IP 

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.