All Topics / Help Needed! / Carpet type for rental townhouse in Western Sydney

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Enchanted Wanderer
    Participant
    @enchanted-wanderer

The current carpet is in a pretty bad shape  and I am trying to figure out what is the most practical option would be. The typical carpet stores recommend cheap polypropylene carpets for around 30 sq m installed, however I am not sure as to the durability of it. Real estate agent said to install dark commercial grade carpet, therefore I am putting it out there – please share your experience with different carpet types and if possible the company names who can supply it.

This is for the second floor, I was also thinking about bamboo floors, but from the noise aspect they may not be the best. Cost wise they are cheaper as I can install them myself.

Profile photo of TheFinanceShopTheFinanceShop
    Participant
    @thefinanceshop

Which city/state are you in?

Regards

Shahin

TheFinanceShop | Elite Property Finance
    http://www.elitepropertyfinance.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Residential and Commercial Brokerage

Profile photo of Paul DobsonPaul Dobson
    Participant
    @pauldobson

Hi Dimsh

We've put the following down in 3 properties so far and we're very happy with it.   The following is from the quote:

Supply and install "Banyan # Caper" 100% solution dyed nylon twist pile extra heavy duty domestic grade carpet, to be laid upon "Eureka" 10mm thick foam underlay ….

Cheers,  Paul

Paul Dobson | Vendor Finance Institute
    http://www.vendorfinanceinstitute.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

An alternative way to finance your home.

Enchanted Wanderer
    Participant
    @enchanted-wanderer

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the reply, I have tried Googling the Banyan # Caper carpet but was not able to find anything, do you mind providing a bit more information on the actual carpet brand or the place where you got it from.

Cheers

Enchanted Wanderer
    Participant
    @enchanted-wanderer
    TheFinanceShop wrote:
    Which city/state are you in?

Regards

Shahin

Hi Shahin,

Western Sydney is located in well the Western part of Sydney, NSW :-)

Participant
    @thefinanceshop

Contact the girls at Kruger carpet in North Parramatta. They are on Church St just before the turn into Bunnings.

Go darker brown but not black. 

Regards

Shahin

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

We carpeted our last 3 bedroom IP for $2.7k using bunnings carpet and installation. Can't remember the type of carpet but it looks nice and modern and is durable.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

Check with the supplier regards burn marks from cigarettes & also flamability of each carpet.

Wool carpet is too high quality for the location.

Profile photo of Paul DobsonPaul Dobson
    Participant
    @pauldobson

Hi Dimsh

We got it from Choices.  Their Store Finder website is at:  http://www.choicesflooring.com.au/choices/?c=29  As mentioned above, we also went with the dark brown.

Cheers,  Paul

Paul Dobson | Vendor Finance Institute
    http://www.vendorfinanceinstitute.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

An alternative way to finance your home.

Participant
    @thefinanceshop

I did a pure wool install on a 3 bedder for an IP in Wenty for $1,300 – that's for the carpet and install. Install was $300 and the carpet was about $1,000. I did it through the Kruger girls.

Regards

Shahin

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

Whatever you decide to put in, be sure not to go with the thinnest underlay available.  Upgrade a little and it will make the carpet seem more luxurious due to the bouncy-ness underfoot.  There are also the warmth and noise-reduction benefits also.

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Participant
    @thefinanceshop

Bamboo is great too – I have installed them in another IP. Is the IP a unit or house?

Regards

Shahin

Email Me | Phone Me

Enchanted Wanderer
    Participant
    @enchanted-wanderer
    TheFinanceShop wrote:
    Bamboo is great too – I have installed them in another IP. Is the IP a unit or house?

Regards

Shahin

This is for the second floor in townhouse, due to noise and the fact that I will have to put bamboo on the stairs I am a bit sceptical about bamboo floors as tenants with small children will regard it as a higher risk.

on the other hand bamboo is cheaper and easy to install.

Profile photo of Nigel KibelNigel Kibel
    Participant
    @nigel-kibel

I always put in a good underlay and a good quality carpet, not light colors, dark, blue or grey. It does not mark and will work better.

However I have brought a lot of period properties including apartments so where possible I prefer to have polished boards than carpets. I find that you cannot put people off with polished boards but a bad carpet can put people off and even reduce the value of your asset.

Nigel Kibel | Property Know How
    http://propertyknowhow.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

We have just launched a new website join our membership today

Participant
    @thefinanceshop

I don't think that tenants would view it has high risk (I personally dont) – you think they would be laying rugs on the floor anyway. I know Bamboo is hardwood but I think it fine. Noise will not be an issue since its a townhouse or do you have people living above or underneath?

Also if its strata you will need permission from the strata manager before laying the floor.

Regards

Shahin

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of Modernity InvestingModernity Investing
    Participant
    @mark-coburn

On a new investment property build, Stepping Stone recommends clients install 300/300 (mm) ceramic tiles to the Kitchen, Dinning and Hall. Then Solution Dyed Nylon carpet to the Media, Lounge and Bedrooms. The upside of this layout method is the carpeted rooms are not connected to one another. This lets you change the carpet in one room with out having to change it all or have a mismatch area looking so obvious.

The best carpet I believe (having carpeted over 100 rental rooms) is "Solution Dyed Nylon". It stays cleaner, It stands up for years longer then Poly-prop and other fibers. Wool is the best for your own home if you look after it, but SDN is the best for rentals. 

A good foam underlay in important too. You wont need to change a foam underlay for 15 years and a SDN Twist Pile carpet will steam clean better then anything else and look like new every time. Rubber underlays flatten, fall apart and can cause your carpet to age much quicker. 

Most, if not all stains will come out of SDN Twist pile with a steam clean. I have carefully trimmed burn marks out of SND Twist Pile carpet with a pair of scissors and left the carpet in for another 5 years.

Don't install Loop Pile, Pattens or light colours. I have found loop piles damage far more easily and it's hard repair loop piles, aim for a Twist Pile and darker then a coffee stain is a good idea too. I make the carpet the darkest colour in the room with the walls a colour lighter and the ceilings always white.

Tenants LOVE carpet in bedrooms and it makes the house feel more live-able for them. After all they are your customer when you are a property investor.

Vinyl planks and ceramic vinyl tiles are great too in kitchens and hallways if you are retro fitting flooring. You will need to have the plank flooring stripped and re-coated every 3-5 years between tenants, this is no big deal. Try not to lay vinyl planks in the sun if you can help it, they can fade, but not badly. Vinyl planks and ceramic vinyl tiles are really, really durable. Even when they are old they look better then sheet vinyl flooring. Vinyl ceramic tiles are the  best, but can be a bit pricey. You keep a couple of spares and if one get badly damaged by a removalist or the tenant, it's just a case of warming it up with a heat gun and lifting the old one out and replacing it. 

I laid timber laminated in 10 units 7 years ago and I now know the hard way it is rubbish in a rental situation. Bamboo is very hard wearing, but it hates water, be warned! Timber floating, Bamboo and solid timber goes in the same category as quality wool pile carpet, all great but not in a rental. Just too hard to look after. They all last longer, look better and work out cheap over the life of the product, If you look after them.

Modernity Investing
    Email Me

Profile photo of CatalystCatalyst
    Participant
    @catalyst

Lots of good points from Mark. I too use SDN now. I used cheap Bunnings stuff once. It looks and feels cheap. It's not a lot more to get something decent. I prefer carpet in bedrooms. And yes don't get a pattern, asier to match if need be.

I've used both carpet and polished floorboards in living areas. Depends on the location (floorboards can be cold) and the rental tenants.

I also like the vinyl planks. I've used them in kitchens and laundries. Looks great for a budget price.

I've got a great carpet layer if you need one. He can source the carpet and lay it. He's a perfectionist. Never seen better work. I had a bad experience with one carpet mob. Terrible joins in the carpet.

Profile photo of Modernity InvestingModernity Investing
    Participant
    @mark-coburn

Someone asked me about colour: I have found that if you choose a colour that doesn't have black or blue in it, the room will look warmer. I go for coffee coloured browns. They hide the dirt and look good with the tenants furniture.

Modernity Investing
    Email Me

Profile photo of Ryan McLeanRyan McLean
    Participant
    @ryan-mclean

I like Mark's idea how the carpet isn't all connected so you can easily upgrade one room if you need to.

I have young kids and have lived in many rentals and while lighter carpet tends to look better to begin with (says my wife) it gets dirty pretty quickly and therefore needs to be replaced quicker.

Turns about carpet isn't meant to have baby food smeared all over it

Ryan McLean | On Property
    http://onproperty.com.au
    Email Me

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.