All Topics / Help Needed! / Building Insurance advice needed

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Profile photo of SundanceSundance
    Participant
    @sundance

Hi all,

I've just purchased my second IP in Tamworth.  The house is a basic 3 bedroom, 1 bathroom brick veneer.  The purchase price was $255k. 

When I phoned the insurance company to organise cover I was told that it should be insured for $320k as this is how much it would cost to replace the house if it was razed to the ground.  Am a little confused by this as it's more than the purchase price which obviously also included the land.

I've looked at a few online calculators to see how much insurance cover I should have but the amount on each website varies considerably.  Is there anyone who can tell me how I should calculate how much to insure for?

Thank you,

Sundance

Profile photo of tlm1987tlm1987
    @tlm1987

Hi Sundance;

I can't offer you an answer on your insurance, but wanted to ask, what made you choose Tamworth?

Profile photo of CatalystCatalyst
    Participant
    @catalyst

You need to have sufficient insurance for replacement. Don't forget if your house burns down you have to pay to have it demolished and taken away. Then the rebuild. Most insurance covers accom while rebuilding too.

You'll probably find the cost to insure for $50,000 less is very minimal anyway. And if the insurance company feels you've under insured by 25% they'll pay you 25% less than the claim amount. Why risk it?

Profile photo of TheFinanceShopTheFinanceShop
    Participant
    @thefinanceshop

Who is your building insurer when you settled the property and what was the amount insured? Or has settlement not taken place yet?

Regards

Shahin

TheFinanceShop | Elite Property Finance
    http://www.elitepropertyfinance.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Residential and Commercial Brokerage

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

I'm with catalyst.

It's better to overcompensate then under.

I remember how many people were under insured a decade ago during the Canberra bush fires. A scary thought.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

Exactly .. you have to demolish (which requires a permit which costs, and the demolition contractors which also costs).  Also permits for the rebuild are needed.

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of SundanceSundance
    Participant
    @sundance

Catalyst and Jamie – good advice from you guys as always.  Will keep it insured for the $320k as is.  Hadn't really thought about the demolishing and being taken away side of it before.  I've also just had a look at how much my PPOR is insured for and I'm going to increase it tomorrow as I feel it's underinsured.

Shahin – insurer is NRMA.  I also have PPOR and IP1 insured with them.  Settlement takes place tomorrow.

tlm 1987 – why did I choose Tamworth?  I wanted to buy regional and I liked the fact that Tamworth was a big town with several industries and sources of employment.  The houses are also reasonably priced.  Before I made an offer on it I had about 5 houses picked out in regional areas of NSW – Dubbo, Wagga, Bathurst and Inverell.  While trying to decide which one to make an offer on, there was a price reduction on the Tamworth property so I went with that.  It was a bit scary as we bought sight unseen. 

Cheers,

Sundance

Profile photo of TheFinanceShopTheFinanceShop
    Participant
    @thefinanceshop

Ok you need to make sure that the sum insured is equal or more than the valuation amount for the building. At $320k you should be fine.

Spend a couple of bucks more and go for the higher amount.

Regards

Shahin

TheFinanceShop | Elite Property Finance
    http://www.elitepropertyfinance.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Residential and Commercial Brokerage

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Ahhh – Tamworth settlement today. It just clicked!

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Participant
    @sundance
    Jamie M wrote:
    Ahhh – Tamworth settlement today. It just clicked!

Cheers

Jamie

Yep, it's me.  Very excited today!!!! 

Participant
    @jacm

Gotta say I absolutely hate it when the insurance companies ask me how much it would cost to rebuild.  Those not regularly in the business of building things would not know.  I'd rather them keep a spreadsheet guiding them on the latest rebuild costs and advise me accordingly.  It's also very easy to forget things like the cost of replacing driveways and paving, pergolas, carports, garages, fencing, washing line, and gardens.

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of Nigel KibelNigel Kibel
    Participant
    @nigel-kibel

I tend to use AAMI because on building insurance they do full replacement cover so you do not have to worry about being under insured. 

Many Australians in the past have been underinsured which has left people under insured by thousands in  some cases. Also stick to the major insurers my experience is that they pay out

Nigel Kibel | Property Know How
    http://propertyknowhow.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

We have just launched a new website join our membership today

Participant
    @jacm

Agreed – AAMI is great.  They won't insure all kinds of properties, but I use them for anything that they will insure.

Email Me | Phone Me

Participant
    @sundance
    JacM wrote:
    Gotta say I absolutely hate it when the insurance companies ask me how much it would cost to rebuild.  Those not regularly in the business of building things would not know.  I'd rather them keep a spreadsheet guiding them on the latest rebuild costs and advise me accordingly.  It's also very easy to forget things like the cost of replacing driveways and paving, pergolas, carports, garages, fencing, washing line, and gardens.

Thanks very much JacM.  Once again all the things you forget to take into account when insuring.  Will take it onboard.

smiley

Participant
    @sundance
    Nigel Kibel wrote:
    I tend to use AAMI because on building insurance they do full replacement cover so you do not have to worry about being under insured. 

Many Australians in the past have been underinsured which has left people under insured by thousands in  some cases. Also stick to the major insurers my experience is that they pay out

Thanks Nigel, great advice.  Will check AAMI out.

yes

Profile photo of donxxxdonxxx
    Participant
    @donxxx

Hi Jacqui,

Do you know who might be a good insurer for a block of 6 x timber flats in Brisbane? All on one title. above flood levels..

Cheers,

Don

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.