All Topics / Help Needed! / Communicating by txt msg with tenants

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Profile photo of dinglc01dinglc01
    @dinglc01

Hi All,

I self manage my rental property and my tenant only ever really communicates by text or phone call (he doesn't really use his email).  I don't mind this but from a "cover my butt" point of view, I prefer to have things in writing.

Are text messages an acceptable form of written evidence?  It seems to me it is the same sort of thing as an email, provided I periodically download the texts onto my computer. 

I continue to send formal letters for important things like periodic rent inspections and would write a letter if rent ever became overdue or there was an issue. 

I'd appreciate your thoughts. Are there any agents out there who have experiences worth sharing?

Thanks

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

I'm no legal eagle but I can't see why text messages would be treated any differently to an email from that perspective.

The legal guru Terry W may be able to elaborate.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of julierjulier
    @julier

I would say to cover ur butt on anything that seems important just send it in a printed format anyway. If u send the email as well as text u have that record.

Profile photo of jmsracheljmsrachel
    Participant
    @jmsrachel

Speaking of text msgs, my tenant texted me last night (sunday) at 9.45pm because she wants the globes changed from 60 to 80 watts. What cheek!

Profile photo of PropertyGutsPropertyGuts
    Participant
    @propertyguts

same.  one tenant with a liking for text messages.

Profile photo of N@thanN@than
    Participant
    @n-than

This is one of the exact reasons why I have a PM handle my properties. I really don't want any personal relationship with my tenants. I want it to be strictly business then I know I won't be second guessing myself or feeling guilty when I up my rents!

Participant
    @jmsrachel

my ip's are managed by a pm but they still love to text me.

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

Just make sure that they don't exceed the maximum wattage for the light fitting.

Profile photo of Rick staRick sta
    Participant
    @rick-sta
    jmsrachel wrote:
    Speaking of text msgs, my tenant texted me last night (sunday) at 9.45pm because she wants the globes changed from 60 to 80 watts. What cheek!

haha! Why not reply with a drunken text at 3:30 am informing her of a rental increase. 

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

I'd direct them straight back to the PM with a kind reminder that you're the property owner – not the manager. The PM is getting paid to manage the property – I'd be annoyed if tenants were contacting me directly, especially after hours, especially on the weekend!

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

If some problem were to arise you may find youself in a tribunal or court and you could have the texts admitted as evidence. I wouldn't rely on them too much though, especially not for contractual matters.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Participant
    @jmsrachel
    Rick sta wrote:
    jmsrachel wrote:

haha! Why not reply with a drunken text at 3:30 am informing her of a rental increase. 

I texted her back with 2 letters. F and O.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.