All Topics / Help Needed! / Realestate discount when selling 2 properties?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Profile photo of goatusgoatus
    @goatus

Hi all,

If im selling two properties shortly – has anyone had any experience selling 2 properties at the same time and drawing a bit of a discount on the realestate fees from the agent for giving them both listings? Any advice on what it should be costing me to get rid of 2 units in Perth (both will be around the $340k mark)? Will be getting a few agents through to see what they quote – but would be good to have a yardstick. No experience selling property.

Cheers

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Hi Goatus

I'm not sure how much they charge in Perth but I'm sure you'll be able to negotiate a decent discount if offering up two listings.

Just make sure that you choose a good agent. Depending on the market, I'd have no issues with coughing up a little more to pay for a high performing agent rather than getting a decent discount off one that hasn't't sold many over the last few months.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

REIWA suggests a selling fee of 3.3% (inc GST) for the sale of a property in WA. Marketing fees may, or may not, be included in this fee depending upon your negotiation skills.

Note all fees are negotiable and you are entitled to bat hard for yourself.

If the properties are in a reasonable distance from one another then a single agent may be reasonbaly placed to handle the sale of both.

Agents in WA are reporting reduced selling times and when I last looked a few months ago stock available on the market was below long term averages. Strike the right price and you may end up moving your properties reasonably quickly.

Profile photo of goatusgoatus
    @goatus

Thanks gents – so should 3.3% be the standard rate and I should be able to negotiate them down from there, or any decent agent will be charging at least 3.3%?

Is there a good way to determine an agents worth/performance other than taking their word for it? Any advice on what to ask them to help make a decision on who to go with?

Thanks again, this is a great resource.

@derek

Where are your properties located?

Might know an agent or two in the area.

But you are correct 3.3% is REIWAs recommended starting point. Don't also forget to talk about services, how they sell, home opens and so on. A couple of percentage points here or there will pale into insignificance if you get a quick sale at an acceptable price.

Profile photo of JpcashflowJpcashflow
    Participant
    @jpcashflow

Hi Goatus 

Im an ex agent from melbourne, so here is my opinion

Ways to see if your dealing with a good agent

1) ask them what properties they have sold in the area in the last 6 months, have they got material ready to prove this 

2) how do they value properties, do the use rp data, gut feeling "etc"

3) most important testimonials or can you call a current vendor to see what they think of the service so far

I wouldn't personally give the two properties to the agent, use one of properties as leverage

if they provide good service and they get you a good price then give them the 2nd property to sell

for fees like Jamie said what's more important the price they sell it for or the commission you pay

after you see three agents you will get an idea what the average sell price will be and also the average fees

Rather then setting out one fee maybe you can do some thing like this "eg"

500k – you pay 3%

530 k you pay 3.3 

For marketing: internet is a must

a board is good

newspaper starting to die out and very expensive

Jpcashflow | JP Financial Group
    http://www.jpfinancialgroup.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Your first port of call in finance :)

Profile photo of Gazza21Gazza21
    Participant
    @gazza21

If you’re around Clarkson I know of an agent charging 2.5% on the basis any more would be a bit cheeky as properties are pretty much selling after the first home open. We’re finding there are a lot of people at the home opens we got to (as many as we can fit in) looking to spend the kind of money you’re looking for.
    Feels more like a seller’s market than a buyer’s!

@goatus

Thanks again all – very useful info.

The properties are 2×1 units / villas in Westminster and Osborne Park respectively – within 5km of each other. 9 – 12km from Perth city.

Good to hear things seem to be selling quickly. Will interview a few agents and see how it feels.

@derek

Ha, Westminister and Osborne Park are little black spots in my network. Sorry cannot help.

@goatus

No dramas, you have been very helpful. Cheers.

Profile photo of jvalenderjvalender
    @jvalender

Hi I know a good agent, his name is Jarrad Mahon 0403659753, give him a call and pick his brains, think his average days on market is 14 days,Good luck !!

Profile photo of Kent CliffeKent Cliffe
    Participant
    @kent-cliffe

Hi Goatus,

I can give you some pointers as I am often dealing with agents on the opposite side of the fence. The  good agents are the ones which make my life a little harder than normal.

• Get  a few different agents to appraise your property and get a feel for the market. No matter how attractive it sounds ( even if they could have a buyer)  don't  necessarily go with the agent that has promised the highest price.  A common strategy especially in this market is to list  then crunch the vendor on price. However,  this will hurt you in the long run as most of the interest on your property will be the first couple of weeks.
    • Find out what marketing strategies will they implement when listing your property. Personally, I would want most  of my money spent on good online advertising with professional photos.
    • Ask for a customer service charter, this is great to set your expectations on how frequently and for what reasons will contact you.  if the agent doesn't have a customer service charter I would say their listing style is very ad hoc.
    • Ask or a list of properties that they have sold within the last six months. Make sure that the average listing days and  discount on market is common for your area. You can find a lot of those statistics out on the REIWA  website or alternatively purchasing a subscription to Price Finder/Rp Data.
    • Ask for  between 5 and 10 previous clients phone numbers, pick a couple at random and give them a call.

Never tell the agent your bottom line, because if you do this as the offer which you're going to get. Always, ask them to present all offers but give them as little feedback as possible on what price you would accept.

Profile photo of BigCubezBigCubez
    Participant
    @bigcubez
    Kent Cliffe wrote:
    ,A common strategy especially in this market is to list  then crunch the vendor on price. However,  this will hurt you in the long run as most of the interest on your property will be the first couple of week

How true. Nothing worse than listing too high and seeing potential buyers dry up. 

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.