All Topics / Value Adding / Improvements to ex NSW Housing Commission House

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 12 posts - 21 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Profile photo of TheFinanceShopTheFinanceShop
    Participant
    @thefinanceshop

Yes this is very true – I lot of people do not realise that campbelltown has a close proximity to beaches.

Regards

Shahin

TheFinanceShop | Elite Property Finance
    http://www.elitepropertyfinance.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Residential and Commercial Brokerage

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m
    Catalyst wrote:

Have you started painting? If not just a hint.

If the walls have nicotine stains paint with zinzer first otherwise the tar will just seep through the paint.

Awesome advice! Something that I hadn't considered before – and we're about to embark on a big paintjob….well, one day…

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of StormyStormy
    @stormy

Hi tlm,

Thats part of the reason I was drawn to Cambelltown. I also lived there when I was a lot younger and spent most of my weekends heading down to Wollongong.

Campbelltown seems to have almost everything I am looking for in an area.

Its a major hassle if i have to drive into the city but where I can I will catch a train.

Shane

@stormy

Hi Catalyst,

Thank you so much for the tips, I can never have to much information from those more experienced. The paint job will be a big one thats for sure. The whole inside colour scheme is way to dark for my liking and will need to have a complete sealing and painting of walls, especially being nicotene stained.  

I am keen to get into the property but settlement has been delayed. It was due to settle last week but the vendor wasnt able to. It could be up to two more weeks before I can take possession of the keys. There are so many things you cant prepare for when buying, the vendor not being able to settle was something i didnt expect. 

I have almost used up all of my holidays to put into moving in, painting etc so I will be behind in my plans to get the reno's done.

Its been a big learning curve for me.

Shane

@stormy

Yesterday afternoon I finally picked up the keys to the house. I can enter under licence whilst the Vendors side sort out their issues.

I think it will take another couple of weeks before the official settlement but at least I can do some basics like airing out the property, sugar soaping the walls and general cleaning. 

I have been advised to wait to do anything other than that because the property is still not deemed to be mine. I have learnt so much about property purchasing thats for sure.

Shane

Profile photo of Paul B.Paul B.
    @paul-b.

Keep us posted Shane! Some before, during and after photos would be great.

@stormy

Will do Paul B.

I have taken a number of photographs of the property in its current condition.It looks like it will be a bigger job than i first thought.

As this will be my PPOR for next couple of years I will certainly learn by this one. I will be a lot wiser when I am eventually ready to purchase an IP.

Shane

Profile photo of James740James740
    @james740

I just finished a renovation on my ex gov house.  I didn't do anything on the outside, solely focused on the inside.  New floor, new  kitchen, new bathroom.  All in all, spent 20k, had the bank do a valuation and came back 70k higher than the purchase price, or 40k up if you take out reno and buying cost.  but out of the 20k reno, about half of that was deducted as legitimate repairs.  So it was definitely worthwhile for me.

Profile photo of TheFinanceShopTheFinanceShop
    Participant
    @thefinanceshop

Nice work – where abouts?

Also what flooring did you use, carpet, tiles or laminate? 

Regards

Shahin

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of James740James740
    @james740

Doonside NSW

bought some laminate floors and did the whole house with it.  That was probably the only easy part of the entire renovation.  I had a million holes in the walls to fix  up when I first got it.  THought about doing the kitchen and bathroom myself but that would've taken a ridiculous amount of time, so I just bought the bathroom wares and tiles and let the trades put everything up.

Profile photo of TheFinanceShopTheFinanceShop
    Participant
    @thefinanceshop

Very nice – I was thinking laminate as well. 

Regards

Shahin

Email Me | Phone Me

@stormy

James,

Thanks heaps for the info. It gives me hope. With my settlement due 5 weeks ago I am still not into my property. I am really keen to get started and up until this morning was about to walk away from the sale once the "Notice to Complete" had expired. I was contacted by the Real Estate this morning and I finally have a settlement date and time. 

I have allowed myself 12 months to get my reno's done and boy does this place need some TLC. This property will be my PPOR for the next couple of years and then I will relocate to Queensland and have it as an Investment Property. 

The floors in my property are tiles in the Dining/Kitchen/Loungeroom/Bathroom but carpet through the rest of the house. The carpets will have to go as the place has had heavy smokers for many many years. There are also numerous holes in the walls so there will be a lot of work. I will try and do most of the prep work myself but I am by no means a tradie.

It may be worth considering your laminated flooring option. I will look into it once I have the carpets up to see what is underneath.

Shane 

Viewing 12 posts - 21 through 32 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.