All Topics / Help Needed! / Change of plans

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 37 total)
  • Profile photo of brendogsbrendogs
    Participant
    @brendogs

Hi there, 

I've been looking at getting into the investing game for quite a while now but due to the market being so restless and unpredictable I decided to sit back and just learn more thru this forum and other information sources.

Initially I wanted to purchase a property sub divide and build or sell. Then I was scared off that because it's such a volatile area for me to start and if I didn't get a sale I could be in trouble. Then I thought I would head into the renovations game because I know I could handle that with my skills, but I decided against that because of the Victorian market being so stagnant if I didn't get a quick sale after renovations it would ruin profits.

Now I feel like I should just get into the market with some positively geared property/s. Since I've decided to sit back and wait I've saved up a $55k deposit so it's giving me a few more options as compared to a year ago when I had $30k. I earn $60k a year and I'm still living at home with my parents at 23.

What my question is, would I be better off purchasing 1 property around the $150k – $250k range in the more rural areas with decent returns then put my entire deposit onto that property and pay it off quickly, then build up some equity to purchase another identically priced property and continue acquiring properties in that fashion.

Or, should I split my deposit into lets say $30k – $40k purchase one property then after 6 or so months after I save up another $10k or so purchase an identical property.

Any pros or cons with thinking this way or any other ideas that might be able to get me into the market.

-Brendon

Profile photo of TheFinanceShopTheFinanceShop
    Participant
    @thefinanceshop

Hi Brendon,

I know its a bit of a cliche response but it is honestly hard to answer that question with the accuracy it deserves. 

It is dependent on a number of factors. What type of investor are you? Are you a passive investor? I have a lot of buyers (particularly overseas buyers) that come in and want a brand new unit with minimal ongoing maintenance. They are not interested in renovating, etc. 

Or are you an aggressive investor that has the ability to dedicate time and effort into the investment? For example, by way of renovation, subdivision, etc? Calling the local council, understanding zoning, policy, etc. 

What does your cashflow look like? Can you afford negatively geared property for the sake of strong capital growth potential? 

Best to work with a 'team' of people, accountant, broker/banker and explore the option. 

Whatever you do please do the numbers – they will never lie to you.

Regards

Shahin

TheFinanceShop | Elite Property Finance
    http://www.elitepropertyfinance.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Residential and Commercial Brokerage

Profile photo of brendogsbrendogs
    Participant
    @brendogs

I'm not a believer in forecasting growth in this market. Nor do I trust any of the sources who talk about "Hot Spots" around Victoria. So I have decided to be a pro-active investor and make my own profits or income based on good deals.

I am definitely in an aggressive investing mindset, 6 months ago a deal fell thru which was on a sizeable block in which I had plans to subdivide, building plans ready to start and I was hoping to flip it within 12 – 18 months to a builder or take on the challenge with some investors if I couldn't get a sale. I pretty much had everything ready to go when my bid on the property was beaten by a huge margin and effectively made the deal not attractive at all and far to risky with the higher price so I decided to walk away from that one.

So I'm fairly capable of taking on deals like that but for now I won't be seeking those types of projects and stick to trying to get some positive cashflow happening. I do have a good team around me for guidance but now that I'm changing my mentality towards my investment plan I wanted to get some advice from the faithful around here.

-Brendon

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

Hi Brendon

If you have started eyeing off rural areas, you need to decide just how rural you are prepared to go.  You need to work out if you could hold onto the mortgage in the event of a vacancy, and how long it would take you to offload the property to a buyer if you had to.  You need to understand the demand for rentals in the area.

It would be preferable you look at an area that not only had yield but also growth.

Should you sink all your cash into one property or split it into two… well… so many factors in that decision.

Should you put all your money into one property in an area with pretty good yield, growth, and demand, or split it into two and buy two properties in areas with lower demand, yield and growth?  I think you can see what I am getting at.  On one hand you want to speed up your investing, on the other hand, how much risk are you prepared to take on?

You are only 23 years old.  You could very easily just buy a property every 3 years and end up with plenty of property to live off in your old age, without compromising on having some expendible income for fun along the way.  Mortgages are long-term things.  You can tighten your belt for a year or so, but can you tighten your belt for the duration of a mortgage?  25 years?  Probably not.  You will probably want to go out with your mates once or twice in 25 years.

Don't get yourself too stressed … yes, the property ladder is an extremely good avenue for generating wealth.  Location of property is important, but it doesn't mean the property has to be on the sand at Bondi Beach.  Location can be achieved in some suburbs by simply being near the shops.  Tenants love living near the shops.

If you have decided to acquire a rental, think about what services you would want to live near if you were a paying tenant.  Shops, transport, beach if there is one nearby…. and school if we're talking 3 bedroom house accommodation.

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of TheFinanceShopTheFinanceShop
    Participant
    @thefinanceshop

Set yourself a checklist such as price range, net yield percentage, minimum population of the town you are investing in, availability of transportation, employment and amenities. Also start expanding your search and look at opportunities interstate that may suit your criteria. 

Regards

Shahin

TheFinanceShop | Elite Property Finance
    http://www.elitepropertyfinance.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Residential and Commercial Brokerage

Profile photo of WomeninPropMelbWomeninPropMelb
    @womeninpropmelb

Brendogs, you seem a bit confused. You set out talking about subdividing then renovation then buy & hold but then you shy away from it all.

If you have a good team then I wonder why you have not purchased already?

Yes, the market is a bit bouncy in Melbourne- but it is a good time to buy.

I have been pondering responses to "when to buy"…. 

A lot of people get into the market "when the market is good".. or on the way up, then they pay too much and get burned.

If you are handy- start with 1 & do some renovations. You can have all the best team in the world but there is nothing like experience.

Do the math- yes it can lie- but I was taught at University- do the sums – and you think it is a goer- do the sums again- most likely you left something out of your assumptions.

Rural areas can be very hot and cold- hard to figure prices, hard to move and hard to rent.

I would see what your $50K can buy you in Melbourne after that Geelong as JacM seems to do – as a solid investment.

I know someone who bought in Norlane & Corio for $50K years ago- the ends of the Earth it would seem but try buying for $50K in those areas now.

Geelong has a lot going for it- not just lower entry prices.

Profile photo of WomeninPropMelbWomeninPropMelb
    @womeninpropmelb

Oh, & check out Property Investor magazine- there is a quick list in the back on median prices for suburbs and rental returns. YOu can also look at RP Data- a bit more cumbersome but up to date. They call the agents on the weekends to get their auction results….. I used to be an agent.

Profile photo of DWolfeDWolfe
    Participant
    @dwolfe

Yeah bit of a weird post brendogs.

You talk like you are going to buy any minute, but in the same breath talk about how the market is and how you don't believe in hotspotting etc.

How much do you really know?

The lack of knowledge will hold you back, it will create doubt in your mind. But information overload – eg talking about he market being "restless" will also hinder you in making a decision. It sounds to me that you don't want to be in property at all.

Why do you say that you have an aggressive investing mindset? Have you done any property deals before? And if you are aggressive then why sit back and have a smaller gain through cash flow, rather than the larger gain, if you can handle the risk.

Don't take this in any way other than trying to be constructive, but your posts are quite contradictory.

Maybe you should tell us what markets you are actually looking at, and what make you think that they are restless. If you can pin point why you don't want to invest exactly it may help.

JacM and WIPM are also  spot on with their posts.

Cheers

D

DWolfe | www.homestagers.com.au
    http://www.homestagers.com.au
    Email Me

Profile photo of Shell HShell H
    Participant
    @shell-h

Brendon,

You've been given heaps of great advice here from everyone, esp JacM's post.

Congratulations on getting started so young!  Most people your age are not at all in the investing mindset, so with many years in front of you, you are leaps and bounds in front already.  

Good luck on your journey!

Michelle

Profile photo of Shell HShell H
    Participant
    @shell-h

Brendon,

You've been given heaps of great advice here from everyone, esp JacM's post.

Congratulations on getting started so young!  Most people your age are not at all in the investing mindset, so with many years in front of you, you are leaps and bounds in front already.  

Good luck on your journey!

Michelle

Participant
    @brendogs

Ok I understand why you are questioning my intentions I'll try and break up my steps that have brought me to where I am now.

Firstly a couple years ago I had just under $20k in the bank and thought I'm not too far away from purchasing a property. Then the more I researched I realized I didn't want to just purchase a house around the corner and rent it out. I started to read into people purchasing under valued properties renovating them, then selling for a substantial profit. I thought well I can do that quite easily so I looked into it further and purchased the renovation pack available here. I then realized I didn't have enough capital to cover the renovation costs and if anything happened to the end sale price I would have to rent it out then I would not be able to get the value out of the reno because it will then be considered 'used'.

So due to not having enough capital and I wasn't willing to take that risk onboard so early on in my investing journey I decided that strategy wouldn't work for me at that time. 

I then shifted my focus to purchase a house with enough space to subdivide quickly, sell off the remaining land and make it into a quick cash deal and/or if the perfect deal came up possibly building a single unit or house to make a larger profit (this ideally is still what I'm searching for at the moment). 

The deal I spoke about earlier was just something that came up and I quickly punched some figures around and realized it was a very good opportunity, so I pursued it to no avail. This took a lot of time and effort and felt like a huge kick in the guts because it took up so much of my time to organize everything. After this deal fell thru I was dis-heartened and took a month or so off from searching around. I then started up a second business which took up a lot of time away from me for the past 6 or so months and now I'm getting back into researching property and I've decided that maybe right now cashflow will be a better choice for my lifestyle at the moment. Hence why I've asked the question.

I'm not out to make a million dollar deal right at the minute and I think just entering the market will be more beneficial for my current lifestyle. I understand there is still great opportunities to find properties with good returns so I think this strategy is best for me. If I could purchase a property with the option to build or sub divide then that would be ideal.

I said I was in an aggressive investing mindset because I'm not afraid of challenges like the deal that fell thru for me and I have a very open mind to learn. I have totally shy'd away from hot spotting and it's just not my cup of tea that's why I haven't looked into it.

Participant
    @dwolfe

Good reply Brendogs.

It's not that I'm questioning your intentions but I was hoping that you had already questioned yourself about what you want to gain from investing in property.

There are excellent cash flow deals to be had. If you don't have room in your life at this stage for either the extra work that comes with developing or the extra cash needed in renovating then cash flow is a good safe option.

You could, as you say, buy something to develop later, you could buy something that needs a bit off work, that is returning a healthy positive cash flow now, but you could add more value in a couple of years.

Don't worry about the kick in the guts that you get from following a property and having it not work out, this happens. If every property deal was profitable, and quick and super easy we'd all be minted (cheers JacM).

Keep some positivity (borrow some of Shell's she is wonderfully positive smiley :) and try not to get bogged down in what happened previously.

In the back of the magazines as people have said previously are suburb stats. What you can do to start trying to find suburbs that may have cash cows is to have a look at the median sales prices and the weekly rent. start by looking at suburbs in the price bracket you want to invest. (The median price is just a guide for you so you don't look at suburbs way out of your prices range)

Then you can look at the rents. If the sales price is eg $400k  and the rent is $400 p/w, it's unlikely it will be CF+. How ever if the selling price is $200k and the rents are $350 you are probably looking at something good.

Then you can begin to see if that suburb is worth pursuing. And to expand on Shahins post,  Does it have infrastructure and jobs. Hospitals, schools, major chain supermarkets, fast food, what about petrol stations? Has it got discount department stores like a Target?

What about roads and rails? I personally don't look at any suburbs without rail. It can be light rail, but the rail has to be in the ground, it's easy to change a bus route, not so easy with a train.

Major HWYs, are they under construction, maybe you will get a little gain by buying while the road is being built. Are there uni's within easy commuting distance.

It sounds like a lot, and there is WAAAAYYYYY more info that you will need to gather. If JacM or someone could put up the yield calculation that would probably help you too.

Hope this helps give you a kicking off point. As for your questions as to what to buy, only you can decide what to buy after researching you options. No one on here will be able to tell you what to buy, many have tried to get that answer!

Cheers

D

Email Me

Participant
    @brendogs

Thank you very much for your reply, I totally understand what your saying and it's already a major part of my searching criteria. I think we have gone a tiny bit off topic here. So if we go back to my initial question :)

brendogs wrote:

What my question is, would I be better off purchasing 1 property around the $150k – $250k range in the more rural areas with decent returns then put my entire deposit onto that property and pay it off quickly, then build up some equity to purchase another identically priced property and continue acquiring properties in that fashion.

Or, should I split my deposit into lets say $30k – $40k purchase one property then after 6 or so months after I save up another $10k or so purchase an identical property.

Any pros or cons with thinking this way or any other ideas that might be able to get me into the market.

I guess now that we have also established that I wouldn't shy away from something like a subdivision or possible future development these kind of properties are generally going to cost a few dollars more. Advice in this area is really what I'm after and I can see that all the kind people who have replied here have got some decent experiences to share. Is there any other ideas that might float my boat?

-Brendon

Profile photo of FreckleFreckle
    Blocked
    @freckle

Here's a thought for you Brendon.

You keep doing what you're doing and I'll guarantee you'll have around $200k+ sitting in your hot little hand in 5 years time.

If you buy say 2 properties in that time my guess is you won't have anywhere near that. In fact you may have nothing or worse still even owe the bank (underwater).

The returns on property absolutely suck at the moment. It's tuff enough for hardened experienced investors to score in this climate. The risk you as a newbie investor face far out weight any potential returns you might make. Nobody ever went bust waiting so don't let others try and hype you up or convince you to act now etc. 

You're 23 and already on the right track. Plenty of time to dip your toes in the coming years. Personally I believe we're no where near the right time to jump into this market. When you learn patience you will have cracked 90% of investing. 

Participant
    @jacm

Ah Brendon now you've meet our Freckle smiley

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of jmsracheljmsrachel
    Participant
    @jmsrachel

Gotta love the freckle! In a couple years he Will be posting told ya so!

Participant
    @dwolfe

Hi all,

Brendon, I'll put it another way.

I know all about investing. So should I buy a renovator around the 200k price and use all my savings or should I buy a renovator and only use most of my deposit money, then save up and buy another one?

I really would like to help you out, but essentially what you have said is "I know all about investing, should I buy property A, or buy property B using less money and buy another property B later?"

You tell us.

No one on here will be able to give you investment advice as such. Just like you knowing nothing about my situation, my risk profile, my ability to finance and hold debt, my personal circumstance etc, etc. You can't tell me what I should buy. No one can say "you should Buy this."

If you have done the homework, and know all about the areas you have researched, and know what you want to buy then before all that you should have a GOAL in place that you want to reach.

Just getting into the market is not really a long term goal.

What about where you see yourself, next year, or in 5 years. What about how this property will fit with the job or family commitments you see eventuating in the next 5-10 years. Or even next year.

I'm getting off topic, because it sounds like you want someone to tell you what to do, we'll help you as much as we can to learn the how to do, but we can't make your mind up for you.

Off topic – Freckle always has excellent points, he's annoying as all get out, but it's better to be challenged and think, than baa like a sheep. Having said that I disagree with having 200k in ur hand in 5 years as inflation will mean that the money you have now will be worth less in 5 years than it is now.

There is always a great return somewhere you just have to find it.

Helping? Off topic? Annoying? Good.

Cheers

D

Email Me

Participant
    @dwolfe

Yeah but it'll be "I tol ya so" about something not related to property :P

D

Email Me

Participant
    @jacm

Agreed DWolfe, $200k in 5 years from now will not buy what it can buy today.  Let's say that today a chocolate bar costs one dollar.  You can buy two hundred thousand of them today.  Five years from now that chocolate bar will cost $1.50.  As such your $200k will only buy 133,333 chocolate bars.  And so on and so forth.  You CANNOT save your way to glory.  Saving is an important discipline to be able to adhere to, but more from the perspective of spending less than you earn, and to use the excess to acquire assets that both grow in value and earn income while they are doing so.

Email Me | Phone Me

Participant
    @jacm

Brendon, you sound like you've given your mind a pretty good workout and are aware of more property investing concepts than the standard newbie.  Spoiled for choice can be a paralysing thing.  What if you don't buy the absolute best investment on the planet?  Wouldn't it be awful if you only managed to nail the second best?

You get the idea.  At some point you have to decide that you are confident with the knowledge that you have, and that you are comfortable with the asset you have set your sights on, and get on with it.  If I had a dollar for all the times people said "oh if only I'd bought into that suburb back when it was cheap…"

Email Me | Phone Me

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.