All Topics / Help Needed! / Difference between Investing to renovate in Houses or Apartments?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of bigdellbigdell
    Participant
    @bigdell

I was just wondering if anyone can point out pros and cons for houses and apartments?

I really like the idea of buying to renovate to increase the capital of a property, to then further invest in more properties. But I have not had anything to do with renovating a unit. Do you tend to get problems with body corporate etc? 

Basically I want to know is it better or same same to purchase a house to renovate or apartment/unit?

My reason for asking this is the potential to purchase numerous apartments/units instead of only one house for the same price.

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Generally speaking, you can do more with a house (in my opinion) than a unit.

With a house, there's more scope for structural change. You can add an extra room, extend, build a granny flat, render, landscape, etc.

You can still make huge improvements to units – just make the work that any work requiring body corp approval is actually approved.

Having said that, I wouldn't restrict yourself to either type – I'd just go where the numbers look good and what fits with your strategy.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of TheFinanceShopTheFinanceShop
    Participant
    @thefinanceshop

I would go houses over units any day of the week (mind you I actually hold 2 units in my personal portfolio). Not only can you renovate more extensively with a house but you can develop it and this is where the potential for capital growth increases. 

Developing may not be a strategy for you today but it may certainly be one down the track when you are a more active and aggressive investor.

Regards

Shahin

TheFinanceShop | Elite Property Finance
    http://www.elitepropertyfinance.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Residential and Commercial Brokerage

Profile photo of bigdellbigdell
    Participant
    @bigdell

Basically what I want to do is go where I can build some capital quite quickly so that I am able to invest further.

I think houses will be the way as you said with having more options in what can be done to achieve capital.

Thanks for the input guys :D

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

As the entry point for units is much lower than houses, you may benefit from stamp duty exemptions, lower holding costs etc. So a buy, renovate & sell approach or buy & hold can both work.

Profile photo of bigdellbigdell
    Participant
    @bigdell

what about a buy, renovate (to gain capital) and hold approach?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.