All Topics / Value Adding / Renovating to rent

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of BigCubezBigCubez
    Participant
    @bigcubez

Hey guys,

My mother is considering renovating the family home and then renting it out as she no longer lives in it. I have given her the following 'to do' list.

1. Get 3 local real estate agents to give a current value and estimate what the value will be after the renovations.

2. Do up a list of works of everything that you can think of that needs to be done.

3. Get 3 quotes from different builders on doing the works.

4. Look at possibly hiring a project manager.

5. Get 3 local property managers to estimate current rental and expected rent after the renovations are completed.

6. Seek finance.

Is there anything else she should be doing? I don't have any experience yet in renovations so any advice would be appreciated.

A bit of further information, the house was last valued in 2009 at $300 000 and she currently owes $90 000 on it to her parents (no interest). After completing the renovations she wants to get the property revalued and seek to purchase a 2nd and possibly 3rd investment property. Any advice guys?

Regards,

Cubez

Profile photo of Rick staRick sta
    Participant
    @rick-sta

Minimise costs and go for it! 

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

Also speak to your accountant with regards to specific advice regards being able to claim costs (depreciation, outgoings, management etc) as well as how any additional borrowing will be treated.

Profile photo of EricEric
    @eric

I haven't done personal renovations before since not being in the property game as of yet but being in the building trade id save my money, not hire a project manager and go too the nearest new estate and get quotes of the tradesmen you need. Most will do it a lot cheaper for cash if your not worried about receipts but get quotes because there are sharks out there

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Hi Cubez

Wow sounds from the description you have laid out we are talking major structural changes to the house as you wouldn't normally engage a Project Manager on a simple home renovation with a standard licensed builder.

Now in regards to financing there are a couple of potential issues which probably need to be considered.

I am unsure as to how old your mother is but i assume she is 45 +.

Under NCCP consideration would be given to her serviceability and the ability to support any loan post the standard retirement age. Whilst i am not aware of any of her personal details you need to ensure that finance is a possibility before going much further.

As she no longer lives in the property i assume she has her PPOR elsewhere so at least that issue will be a plus point when it comes to financing as lender will not like the fact that she might have to sell her PPOR in order to repay back any outstanding loan.

Finally make sure that the increased rent / value warrants the capital expenditure.

Might just be easier to rent out as is and start investing.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of TheFinanceShopTheFinanceShop
    Participant
    @thefinanceshop

There is at least one lender that has a no age policy specific to investment properties (instead of PPORs). If the age and asset position is an issue then that lender may be appropriate. 

Seek finance first to ensure that you can do the renovations that you want to do. I would also consider giving the PM a flick. Not sure how much value they can add. Your first point is fantastic though – always talk the guys selling houses in the area to find out the do and dont's of the area.

TheFinanceShop | Elite Property Finance
    http://www.elitepropertyfinance.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Residential and Commercial Brokerage

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Hi Cubez

I don't think you need to speak with three agents to have the property valued if you don't intend on selling it – its' a waste of time on their behalf and their "appraisal" of the property won't be considered by a lender when extracting equity. They will want to carry out their own valuation.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.