All Topics / Legal & Accounting / Loan tax deductable after loss on sale

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Profile photo of jbelmorejbelmore
    Participant
    @jbelmore

Hi. I understand that if I take out a loan for an investment property but I have a loss on sale and the proceeds are not enough to pay out all of the loan the remaining loan is still tax deductable even though I’ve sold the property.

Does anyone have more info on this or any related tips?

Cheers

Profile photo of jbelmorejbelmore
    Participant
    @jbelmore

I mean the interest is tax deductable as the purpose was to generate income.

Profile photo of N@thanN@than
    Participant
    @n-than

I don't think you could claim the interest as it is no longer producing an income however you would be able to carry the capital loss forward and use it to offset future capital gains.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Yes, this can be possible. There is a precedent case involving a person who borrowed to buy a business and the business went bust – company in liquidation I think. They were able to keep claiming the interest.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Participant
    @terryw

See these

FC of T v. Brown 99 ATC 4600; (1999) 43 ATR 1

FC of T v. Jones 2002 ATC 4135; (2002) 49 ATR 188

Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of N@thanN@than
    Participant
    @n-than

Learn something new everyday! Thanks Terry!

Profile photo of jbelmorejbelmore
    Participant
    @jbelmore

Thanks Terryw that's exactly what I was looking for. Cheers David

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Have a few clients who were convinced to take out a line of credit and then invest by their Financial Adviser in Timber plantations, mango's or similar such wonderful loss making investments.

Course they have now lost everything and still able to claim the interest on the loan until it is repaid.

Thankfully we were not their FA at the time as steered well clear of such investments.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates
    Qlds007 wrote:
    Have a few clients who were convinced to take out a line of credit and then invest by their Financial Adviser in Timber plantations, mango's or similar such wonderful loss making investments.

Course they have now lost everything and still able to claim the interest on the loan until it is repaid.

Probably took out an interest only loan & will crystalise the losses at the end of the loan term as well. Ouch!

Profile photo of PLCPLC
    Participant
    @plc

Pardon my ignorance as I have never come across a sale that is lower than an outstanding loan before, but how is there still a loan to claim interest on after a sale of the security?

If there was still money outstanding, wouldn't it be a default and the LMI pay out the lender, and then the LMI would chase the vendor?

Cheers

Tom

PLC | Phoenix Loan Consulting
    Email Me | Phone Me

Melbourne based Mortgage Broker | Making Finance Simple

Participant
    @terryw

Probably cross collateralised, or used a LOC for the deposit etc

Email Me

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Hi SNM

Yes you are so right.

Funnily enough the Fin Planner concerned used to crow to me that he could make upto 30% commission on the original investment and couldn't understand why i wasn't putting my cllent's into such products.

Tom, another reason why you don't want to cross collateralise your loans when buying property.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of BenjeBenje
    Participant
    @benje
    Profile photo of Kohlhagen GroupKohlhagen Group
    @kohlhagen-group

Generally you can continue to claim the interest on remaining loan funding the loss on an investment provided these points are met;

• All the proceeds of the sale of the investment is used to repay as much of the loan as possible (don't go on holiday with the proceeds)
    • You are unable to repay the loan from other assets, other than the family home (the tax office isn't THAT cruel as to make you sell your home to repay investment loans)
    • Don’t refinance the loan to extend its term or increase the interest rate.  You must appear to be doing all that is possible to eliminate the loan.  So refinancing to reduce the interest rate is ok

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.