All Topics / Value Adding / Bathtub with shower screen

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Profile photo of jmsracheljmsrachel
    Participant
    @jmsrachel

Hi Everyone,

I'll be renovating the bathroom of one of my IP over Christmas. The house has only one bathroom (No ensuite). The current bathroom has no bathtub, just a standard shower and vanity. I was thinking of having a bathtub with a shower on top. There's no room for a separate shower / bathtub.

Would you have a bathtub with shower setup or just a shower and no bathtub? I'm guessing a bathtub comes in handy with kids but at the same time a proper shower is more ideal.

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

I personally would do a separate shower cubicle, and then one of those small square shaped bathtubs.  That way people with kids can still put them in the bath but adults can have a normal shower.  This all presumes you could still access the bath without reaching over the hand basin to extract said child from bath without doing your back in.

Can you manufacture a bit of extra space for the shower by getting rid of the hallway linen closet or something?

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of Gazza21Gazza21
    Participant
    @gazza21

I have no problem with a bath with a shower over and think it will appeal to more potential tenants now and buyers later.

It's also much less plumbing, tiling and grouting (costs!) than two separates.

If anything, Is there room for a bath that gets slightly larger at the shower end without overcrowding the bathroom?

PS I know in WA they tend to only brick in baths before tiling but it's much cleaner, cheaper and far easier to access later if you build a timber framework and fix plywood to it like the one on this page http://www.carpentry-tips-and-tricks.com/making-a-bath-panel.html (and it can still be tiled)

Profile photo of jmsracheljmsrachel
    Participant
    @jmsrachel
    JacM wrote:
    I personally would do a separate shower cubicle, and then one of those small square shaped bathtubs.  That way people with kids can still put them in the bath but adults can have a normal shower.  This all presumes you could still access the bath without reaching over the hand basin to extract said child from bath without doing your back in.

Can you manufacture a bit of extra space for the shower by getting rid of the hallway linen closet or something?

Totally agree but unfortunately the manufactured room would come at the expense of a bedroom and that’s small as it is. Scrap the tub?

Profile photo of TheFinanceShopTheFinanceShop
    Participant
    @thefinanceshop

I would go with a combined Bath and Shower. It is more appealing for families you have young ones. 

TheFinanceShop | Elite Property Finance
    http://www.elitepropertyfinance.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Residential and Commercial Brokerage

Participant
    @jmsrachel
    Gazza21 wrote:
    I have no problem with a bath with a shower over and think it will appeal to more potential tenants now and buyers later.

It's also much less plumbing, tiling and grouting (costs!) than two separates.

If anything, Is there room for a bath that gets slightly larger at the shower end without overcrowding the bathroom?

PS I know in WA they tend to only brick in baths before tiling but it's much cleaner, cheaper and far easier to access later if you build a timber framework and fix plywood to it like the one on this page http://www.carpentry-tips-and-tricks.com/making-a-bath-panel.html (and it can still be tiled)

I think a timber frame is much better as you said. Easier to access afterwards.

Participant
    @jmsrachel
    TheFinanceShop wrote:
    I would go with a combined Bath and Shower. It is more appealing for families you have young ones. 

That’s what I’m thinking, would make it easier to rent.

Profile photo of TheFinanceShopTheFinanceShop
    Participant
    @thefinanceshop

We have a 7 month old and have no bath tub (its one of those portable ones) and its a nightmare. My wife is now saying we need to build a house because of this. Not a good outcome.

TheFinanceShop | Elite Property Finance
    http://www.elitepropertyfinance.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Residential and Commercial Brokerage

Profile photo of eamonedaneamonedan
    @eamonedan

I agree with JacM separate shower cubicle, and then one of those small square shaped bathtubs. If you have no kids, otherwise do what he says. but i think it needs extra space to set up like this. It was just an opinion by the way, do what you think get more comfortable with you.

Participant
    @jmsrachel
    TheFinanceShop wrote:
    We have a 7 month old and have no bath tub (its one of those portable ones) and its a nightmare. My wife is now saying we need to build a house because of this. Not a good outcome.

You can’t renovate the bathroom?

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

If you decide to do shower over bath, do not do a shower curtain.  Do a shower screen.

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Participant
    @jmsrachel

Defiantly shower screen. Told the tenants today. She liked the idea of having a bathtub but didn’t like the shower over bath idea.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.