All Topics / Help Needed! / Action required – What are my rights?!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Profile photo of julieanne_wjulieanne_w
    Participant
    @julieanne_w

Hi Guys

I manage my own property and rent each bedroom out separately. So there are 3 people living in my house each on their own rental agreement, each paying their own rent etc

I recently took on a new tenant and he's about 6 weeks into a 6 month contract. His house habits are causing problems with the other tenants and I have recently been informed that he's growing some "herbs" out in the back shed…

On these grounds, Can i kick him out?

What happens if I break the contract?

He has been late a few times with his rent, is that possibly also grounds for kicking him out?

Has anyone had a situation like this before?

Ideally I would love for him to get along with the others so that I don't have to go through the process of evicting him and finding another new tenant – Does anyone have any suggestions on how to achieve this?

Thanks for your help,

Julieanne

Profile photo of Rick staRick sta
    Participant
    @rick-sta

If he's growing "herbs" at your house, there's a fair chance he's also smoking them there.

This is more than enough grounds for eviction in my books, however you would have to give him 30 days notice in writing I believe.  

Profile photo of kong71286kong71286
    Participant
    @kong71286

What does the rental agreement state?

Have you issued a breach notice yet?

Profile photo of N@thanN@than
    Participant
    @n-than

I would take action straight away. I am no lawyer but if you are aware that he is growing drugs and let him to continue then if things turn bad you could be just as guilty as him?

Personally I think it is worth the extra hassle of having to find a new tenant. All part of it if you choose to manage the property privately.

Profile photo of AlasdairAlasdair
    Participant
    @alasdair

Your tenant is breaking the law, call the police – problem solved.

Profile photo of Don NicolussiDon Nicolussi
    Participant
    @don

Julieanne – maybe just talk to him. It sounds crazy but if it is not a good fit he may move on if you discuss your feelings about the issue. You have to consider the safety and well being of the other occupants and the effect that his behaviour may have on them. 

If you are going to go down the formal path consider how time consuming and expensive this may be. Record keeping is really important. As stated it is a matter for the cops. Someone may receive a very large power bill as a result of the indoor garden so try and make sure you are not stuck with it.

Don Nicolussi | Mortgage Broker - Home Loan Warehouse
    http://homeloanwarehouse.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

"I think of finance as a technology, a way of getting things done." Robert Shiller

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Is your situation covered by a residential tenancy act? It may pay to check into this first. See also the tenants union in your state.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of thecrestthecrest
    Participant
    @thecrest

Growing illegal dope in your property shows a complete disregard for everyone. Not much point discussing your feelings with someone who doesn't care. Take photos, get witnesses to inspect, call the police and send him on his way immediately.

Time to take out the trash.

Cheers

thecrest

thecrest | Tony Neale - Statewide Motel Brokers
    http://www.statewidemotelbrokers.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

selling motels in NSW

Profile photo of julieanne_wjulieanne_w
    Participant
    @julieanne_w

Thanks so much everyone for your comments. You've expanded my awareness around this issue. I'm going down to inspect the house on Thursday so will definitely take a camera with me. Depending on what I find I will then look into Breach notices/residential tenancy acts and possibly discussing the situation with him/calling the police. Thanks again

Profile photo of AlasdairAlasdair
    Participant
    @alasdair

Considering the type of tenant that you are dealing with, as a safety precaution don't inspect the house on your own and consider bringing someone else along with you.

I do know of a landlord that confronted (diplomatically) his tenant over a breach in the rental agreement. However he was then physically threatened by his dodgy tenant and … tenant then put a restraining order on the landlord. Ended up in court costing $. The law really is an ass.

After that incident he now uses a property manager.

Profile photo of PropertyGutsPropertyGuts
    Participant
    @propertyguts

sample some his herbs and chill out?  Perhaps not!

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

Premises being used to grow marijuana?  That's "using premises for illegal purposes".  That's a 14 day notice to vacate in VIC.  Refer to page 2 of this doc:

http://www.consumer.vic.gov.au/library/forms/housing-and-accommodation/renting/notice-to-vacate-to-tenants-of-rented-premises.pdf

Just issue a notice to vacate and that's that.

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of jmsracheljmsrachel
    Participant
    @jmsrachel

Probably best to check the “herbs” first before mentioning anything. Someone could have mistaken them for “herbs” but could be something totally different.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.