All Topics / Help Needed! / Harder working money

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Profile photo of wakebrownbwakebrownb
    @wakebrownb

Hi all,

I am new to this investing caper, and constantly see people earning a lot less money doing so much more with their investing dollar and I want to capitilise on the very good wage I make while I can. Who/what is the best type of person to talk to too help me get my money working the best for me and to use it too the maximum benefit?

Thanks in advance

Profile photo of CatalystCatalyst
    Participant
    @catalyst

You are on a property forum so I'm guessing you want to invest in property. Yes?

There are many different areas to property investing. Do you know what you are interested in? Do you have goals?

Maybe read a few property books to see what some of the strategies are and what interests you.

I found financial advisers to be useless. They just push managed funds.

Start with how much capital you have, borrowing power, your risk profile. Where do you live and if buying property do you prefer to buy close to home? There are many investment groups and meetups where you can chat to people without paying high mentoring fees. Maybe go to a few free courses. eg Think and Grow Rich in Property.

Profile photo of wakebrownbwakebrownb
    @wakebrownb

Hi Catalyst,

Yes I do want to invest in property and I have IP. My strategy to this point has been to rennovate to hold in my local area and would like to mix this up with buying new interstate. I primarily stick to houses and look for the 'ones with a difference'.I have a clear goal and know how I am going to get to the end result, I just believe that I can do more with the money I earn to increase my portfolio quicker. I have a healthy appetite for risk and am not too worried. It might be a case of selling an IP and redistributing those funds into other properties. I was just trying to find out who the best type of people to asj about this kind of thing would be.

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

Hi wakebrown,

You mentioned that your strategy to this point has been renovate and hold.

When you renovate, one would presume you have added some value to the property.  A couple of years of "holding" ought to have added some capital growth too.  Have you looked into how much the renovated property is now worth compared to what you owe on it?  If the difference is already large, you could consider "refinancing".  Basically, let's say Bank A currenly has the mortgage on your property.  You say to Bank B hey, I would like for you to pay the loan out with Bank A and rid me of their services, and I would like for you to start the loan all over again with Bank B.  I would like an LVR of 80%.  So you can keep 20% of whatever you deem the property's current value to be, and please give me the remaining 80% in an offset account, and I shall scurry along and use it to fund the deposit on my next IP.

Apologies if I stated the bleeding obvious, but I thought I would mention it in case you were not aware you could do it in this way.  It is called leveraging equity but it must be financed very carefully.  You do not want to get into a position where you are cross-colateralized (which essentially means that for one particular mortgage, the bank has noted down that TWO of your properties are security for the one mortgage.  So if you mess up with your payments, they take two houses off you rather than one.  Nasty. 

You need a good mortgage broker to help you get it right.  Then it is so easy it you'll find yourself rubbing your eyes thinking "where did all this imaginary money come from?  i didn't even sell my house, and yet the bank gave me a big pile of cash!"  In other words, you do not have to sell to realize your capital gain as you mentioned in your post above.

Jamie M (Jamie Moore) and Qlds007 (Richard Taylor) are two very well respected brokers on these forums.  Get in touch with one of them if it is relevant to your situation.

Apart from that, make sure you keep the rent on your current IP at market value.  The more rent you get, the more "serviceability" you will have to fund your next IP.

Keep us posted on how you go.  Good to see your mind churning away trying to squeeze more value out of your position!

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of TheFinanceShopTheFinanceShop
    Participant
    @thefinanceshop

There is a range of different strategies you can implement – it comes down to your risk profile and how much time you have to invest in the property. It is really difficult to give you definitive answer without looking at all the facts and what you want to do with the property down the track.

I would suggest looking at something with land content and something that has good cashflow with decent potential to increase capital growth down the track whether that be sub-dividing, developing or building. 

Which state are you in?

TheFinanceShop | Elite Property Finance
    http://www.elitepropertyfinance.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Residential and Commercial Brokerage

@wakebrownb

Hi JacM,

I have used Richard before and he has helped me out imensley, he is a pleasure to deal with and very insightful. It could just be a case of me being impatient too, thanks for your reply

@wakebrownb

Hi Finance Shop,

I am in Emerald in sunny QLD. I consider myself to have a healthy appetite for risk, my wife on the other hand may need some convincing but she is starting to come around….As far S time goes I am only 35 so I figure I have some time on my side….

Profile photo of TheFinanceShopTheFinanceShop
    Participant
    @thefinanceshop

Arguably I would get myself a local crew who know the areas, zonings, property markets, etc. If you are wanting to develop property as a long term strategy, I would invest to speaking to the local councils about zonings, minimum requirements depending on what you want to do, download the local council's DA guide. You can also get some good and free advice from town planner. A good town and local town planner will be one of your biggest assets.

Having said all that, firstly determine how much time you have to dedicate to the game and what type of investor you are (sounds like you are quite aggressive which makes sense since time is on your side).

TheFinanceShop | Elite Property Finance
    http://www.elitepropertyfinance.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Residential and Commercial Brokerage

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

Hi again wakebrown

Referring to your original question: "Who/what is the best type of person to talk to too help me get my money working the best for me and to use it too the maximum benefit?"

If you opt to put your faith in someone else's hands… even if they have a business card saying they are this or they are that, they you better hope they are right.

Personally I have found the best thing is to read a lot of material (eg on this forum, in real estate mags), talk to lots of people, and pick and choose ideas that suit your life.  If you understand what you are doing and why, you will have sufficient knowledge to decide what is best for you.  You will have no reason to worry if you will need to be annoyed at someone for giving you bad advice a few years from now.

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

@wakebrownb

JacM,

whilst I have improved out of sight with my money management skills from a few years ago, I am no expert and just want to be sure I am getting the most bang for my buck. I guess the best lessons are learnt by doing so I will continue with what I am doing as so far it is working nicely for us and we will just adapt the process as we move forward.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.