All Topics / Help Needed! / Should I start investing now? or wait?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Profile photo of lukeleelukelee
    @lukelee

Here is my situation. I am not an Australian Residency, I have a house in Moorebank, Sydney, worth $430,000, still carry $200,000 mortage. I have $70,000 cash.

Should I get 2nd house for investing? or is it too risky? or should I wait untill get my PR?

Another question is: Most of my money is in overseas, can I get the loan first, then quite my job to keep my income really low, let's say lower than $18,200 annually, which is tax free. whenever I need money, I transfer from overseas. will I get any tax problem on this.

Thanks in advance

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

Probably not tax problems but serviceability problems for your loan – you may have to declare any change in circumstances to your bank/financier.

Profile photo of lukeleelukelee
    @lukelee

Thank you, Scott:

So, After I got the loan, and bought the house, then I told my bank I quit the job, but I still pay every money, what will they do?

Profile photo of rachelrodriguesrachelrodrigues
    Participant
    @rachelrodrigues

Another issue you need to consider as a temporary resident, is that you can be forced to sell the property in the event that you are unsuccessful in obtaining permanent residence, or a visa extension, and are thereby forced to leave the country. I went through all this about a year ago with my partner, who has a temporary visa, and this is the advise we received from the Foreign Investment Review Board (FIRB).

Profile photo of mattstamattsta
    Participant
    @mattsta

I recommend you to get a permanent residency first and then consider investing in property. Immigration services can deny you a permanent residency card and then you will be forced to leave.

@lukelee

OK, thank you guys.

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Hi Lukelee

Taking it back a step.

What are you aiming to achieve from property investing?

When taking out a loan, you'll be asked if you anticipate any changes to your future financial situation – which quitting your job would fall under.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of Gazza21Gazza21
    Participant
    @gazza21

Why the hell do you want to quit your job, can you survive on 18k a year? Your home loan repayments must be around 14k a year, before bills? Do you have a car?

How will you quit your job but still earn 18k, just work part time?

Are you refinancing ppor to buy investment property or using the 70k cash? Is that the money you talk about overseas or is there more stashed abroad?

I don’t think buying an investment property is too risky as long as you research first but I wouldn’t quit my job so I could keep my income below the minimum tax threshold unless you’ve got so much money stashed abroad you can survive on it. Pretty sure there are no tax implications for living off savings, you’d just get taxed on interest you earn from it.

If that is the case, might be worth paying off your ppor first before you quit working?

@lukelee

Thank you, gazza: just talked with my accountant, that's not a good idea.  

Profile photo of Gazza21Gazza21
    Participant
    @gazza21

Thinking about it do you have an offset facility on your home loan should probably put the 70k in there to reduce the interest, will still be accessible when you need it?

Profile photo of TheFinanceShopTheFinanceShop
    Participant
    @thefinanceshop

Is your house in Moorebank a PPOR or IP? Also what areas are you looking at purchasing?

TheFinanceShop | Elite Property Finance
    http://www.elitepropertyfinance.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Residential and Commercial Brokerage

@lukelee

Hi, Sorry, I am a newb, what is PPOR or IP?

IP = Investment Property? My one is not.

Profile photo of TheFinanceShopTheFinanceShop
    Participant
    @thefinanceshop

Primary Place of Residence (home you live in) and yes IP is investment property.

TheFinanceShop | Elite Property Finance
    http://www.elitepropertyfinance.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Residential and Commercial Brokerage

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.