All Topics / Help Needed! / CGT advice on property

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of Christos76Christos76
    Participant
    @christos76

Hi,

I have a house that i purchased late in 2010 and lived in for the best part of a year while I updated it. Then I rented it out and it is still rented out. During the time I was living there I had I left my mail being delivered to a family members place that I had been living at for a couple of years prior to buying the house and moving in. After some time I decided to move back to the place I was in previously (with the family member).

So all up I lived in my house approx 10 months after buying it and moving in.

Now i'm looking at selling and I'm wondering what evidence I need to provide the ATO that I lived there. Since I never bothered changing my mailing address (it was close by and no problem collecting the mail) it stayed as my previous (and now current address) I have bills etc. that were for utilities, rates etc. at my own property and in my name but were sent to my mailing address at the other property e.g:

My property that I own, lived in, and now rent out is in Kensington, and I know live at a family members place at Baxter.

Bills for my Kensington property while I lived there were labeled as (example):

AGL Electricity

Christos Jones

Service Address: Kensington

BUT they were mailed to me at Baxter.

So my question is, do these bills still stand as evidence that I lived at Kensington as far as the ATO is concerned? What I want to do is get the CGT benefit of this property having been a residence at some point in the previous 6 years. Had I known about the possible implications at the time I would have changed my mailing address to my Kensington property but I was oblivious about this issue at the time.

What evidence does the ATO require as proof that someone lived at a property at a given time?

Hope someone can clarify.

Thanks

<edited adresses>

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

Take your address details out

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

If you had any works done to the house the invoice possibly puts it as the mailing address.

Profile photo of IP FreelyIP Freely
    @ip-freely

no one needs your address unless you want unwelcome visitors .

Profile photo of Christos76Christos76
    Participant
    @christos76

Thanks but the addresses are fictional….

Participant
    @christos76
    Scott No Mates wrote:
    If you had any works done to the house the invoice possibly puts it as the mailing address.

Thanks. Would that be useable as evidence as far as proving to the ATO that I was living there?

Participant
    @christos76
    Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

YOu only need proof if you are asked to substantiate.

Also consider, electricity usage and connection in your name, photos, statutory declaration from you and others. phone records, emails, water usuage and connections, electoral roll,

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.