All Topics / Value Adding / Concrete or stepping stones/gravel for side access?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Profile photo of alfrescodiningalfrescodining
    Participant
    @alfrescodining

Which option is cheaper?

Which option is better?

Could I install stepping stones/gravel myself?

Profile photo of gus123gus123
    Participant
    @gus123

Concrete is better, but I would say that, Im a concreter.

For comparison concrete is around $50 a square metre, more from a big company and less from a dad and dave team.

Stepping stones and gravel would be very easy to do yourself, depending on access. Just level the area and remove any grass/weeds and put some builders plastic down to stop them coming back, place your stones and backfill with gravel.

Just be careful with drainage, you need to make sure it wont become a big pool of water but also not too steep otherwise the gravel will follow.

Profile photo of alfrescodiningalfrescodining
    Participant
    @alfrescodining

So stepping stones and gravel would be cheaper then?

Is there something I can use to stop the weeds from going through but also let the rainwater go through into the ground?

Profile photo of mick64mick64
    Participant
    @mick64

Weed mat or geotextile fabric/bidum would be the best to use.

I would use a river pebble rather than a gravel due to it being smooth to walk on bare footed

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

What are you trying to achieve?

If the property is a long term holder I would go the concrete option – less maintenance, harder wearing, fewer weeds etc etc.

If you are doing a quick fix up with appeal I would go stone option. IMO less practical in a rental but attractive.

You also need to consider what sort of traffic will use the side access – wheeled tools (wheelbarrows, lawn mowers etc) would suggest concrete is a better option.

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

Good points Derek makes, what is the path to be used for? It will be a PIA if they have to take the mower down that side and it will end up as a bigger maintenance issue compared to concrete but if it is a few steps to the side door only, then not a problem. Also lets you know someone is walking up the side path when they step on the gravel/stones and off the concrete blocks.

Profile photo of alfrescodiningalfrescodining
    Participant
    @alfrescodining

Great advice everyone, thankyou.

Profile photo of TheFinanceShopTheFinanceShop
    Participant
    @thefinanceshop

Gravel and stepping stones will be cheaper but it depends on area and clientiele. Speak to a few real estate agents and see if there is a massive difference between the 2 come resale time. 

Also weed mat doesn't do much. They still grow on top of the mat after a period of time. 

TheFinanceShop | Elite Property Finance
    http://www.elitepropertyfinance.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Residential and Commercial Brokerage

Profile photo of Shiny_Suit_ManShiny_Suit_Man
    Participant
    @shiny_suit_man

I have gravel/stones the size of 10-20cent pieces on my side access that the house i am currently living in.  I really don't like it and is really annoying as it ends up on the lawn and just creates headaches when it comes to mowing lawns and stuff.  Not to mention it looks untidy when it is uneven from pets etc. walking on it all the time.  

Based on that i would recommend concrete.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.