All Topics / General Property / help with 1st time investing strategy.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Profile photo of gus123gus123
    Participant
    @gus123

Hi all,

I have been a big fan of this forum and Ive been following for some time now but this is my first post. Im sure its been asked many times before but I am interested to see how you guys would read my indivisual circumstances.

Firstly my long term goal is to own income producing assets which will one day replace my regular job and I hope to do this through residential property. I have set up a discretionary trust, my PPOR is worth $260,000 with $180,000 owing and I am 27yo.

I have recently become very interested in inner city units, particularly those with car spaces as they seem to have much more reasonable yields than standard house and land anywhere near the city. I have worked various scenarios and units start returning positively around the 5 year mark, whilst houses seem to take far longer. I realise that the generally accepted view is that land outperforms units in capital gains in the long term, but if I am purely after long term returns then what other benefits are there to houses.

My other area of interest was value adding to houses to increase rental returns but this seems a big step to take for a first time investor. What kind of small time value adding opportunities are available?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

I don't think it's difficult for a first time investor to add value to a property.

You don't need to carry out the work yourself. You just need to be able to know what you want done and coordinate it.

Personally, I don't have a strong preference for units or houses – if the numbers stack up and the deal looks good, I'd buy either.

If a strong rental yield is your primary motivator then maybe broaden your search to outside of major cities.

Without some growth though – it will be difficult to grow the portfolio.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of gus123gus123
    Participant
    @gus123

I guess thats what my question comes down to. Am I better off looking for good growth on my first property in order to expand the portfolio or should i look for good returns. I guess the ideal would be to value add and look for both but I have found it hard to get any info on splitting to dual occupancy or subdividing. Is there a good starting place to get this kind of info re value adding. Ie where do you apply to (certifiers or councils direct) and what kind of costs are involved, and what kind of things to look for in a potential property.

Profile photo of shereebeckershereebecker
    @shereebecker

Perhaps dip your toe in the water with a cheaper property with a small reno budget so you get the idea of things first?

My first reno was a house i got for 93k (over 10 years ago now but still cheap for then…) I spent 5k, got revalued to around the 130k mark at that time from memory. I learnt a lot!!!  By doing this i also increased the rental yield as it was a much nicer property and achieved higher rent after the cheap reno.

So look at what your considering and start with baby steps to get the hang of things and keep the risk level cheap.. just my 2 cents

Cheers

Sheree

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Hi Gus,

IMO – you need to look at the whole picture.

You have some accessible equity in your existing portfolio. Going to 90% LVR will release around $54K (less costs). While $54K is reasonable it is not a huge sum of money in property investing land.

You haven't indicated what sort of income you are on.

These two aspects of your situation are important as lenders will consider both before lending you money.

From my perspective I would suggest meeting with a good broker and working out what your current lending position is and then determining if serviceability or security is the hurdle you will face first.

If the answer is security then you should look at a property with capacity to value add – if it is serviceability then look at an income producing investment.

Profile photo of xdrewxdrew
    Participant
    @xdrew

Gus your first entry is mired in confusion.

And realisticly …. it doesnt need to be.

Can I sacrifice equity in my PPOR to start my property investment? Sure you can .. but it comes at a cost.

Can I look at growth patterns and good returns as my way for moving forward? Of course you should !

There is no point in investing in a dud area if you know that 10 years down the track the property will either be less valuable or the returns will have remained consistant. That in anyones form of investing .. is a losing strategy.

And why let the idea of a low starting base affect your overall strategy for investment? If you are building your castle in the sky (a lovely metaphorical term) why not start with a solid base? Sand doesnt qualify !

Start with what you can deal with. And a working strategy .. that mixes in with both your home life .. your social life and your financial wellbeing. I dont want to spend time pulling out hair in the middle of the night because I am trying to work out where the next $200 for my investment comes from. I have better things to do with both my time and my money.

Do you think you can make money in housing commission conversions? I have, but i had to know what was good and what wasnt. Can you make money on irregular shaped blocks of land that no builder can possibly subdivide nicely? I have. Can you use an architect to make six units comfortably fit on a 670sqm block? I did .. and it took more than one architect to make it happen nicely.

This isnt a boasting session. This is a session to make you realise that if you become an expert at what you know, what your market will accept and how to achieve solutions that are profitable, then your efforts at making money are so much easier to achieve.

And your future wealth and wellbeing is guaranteed.

Profile photo of xdrewxdrew
    Participant
    @xdrew

To answer all the points in your post directly and link it back to my previous post .. i will answer them one at a time.

Firstly my long term goal is to own income producing assets which will one day replace my regular job and I hope to do this through residential property.

Admirable. Thats where we all start. Wanting to achieve a little more.

I have set up a discretionary trust, my PPOR is worth $260,000 with $180,000 owing and I am 27yo.

Nothing wrong with either setting up a discretionary trust, or having a PPOR that you are paying off gradually. In my view you have set up the discretionary trust a little early, as half of the benefits you can get as a tax deduction happen at a personal or owner level. Invoking the discretionary trust should be when you have over a specific level of assets .. or you have no need for the personal taxation discounts offered at a personal level.

Your PPOR despite being of a minimal invest and having now reasonable equity in the property .. is a longer term hindrance to getting the maximum possible for investing. The amounts of any contribution are immediately deducted against what you can possibly borrow .. limiting the size of your maximum potential borrowing. When its fully paid off .. its a wonderful asset to lend against .. and use as a contributor for further wealth strategy. Until then its a debt that holds you back.

I have recently become very interested in inner city units, particularly those with car spaces as they seem to have much more reasonable yields than standard house and land anywhere near the city.

This is where your reason for investing should come into play. Yes, in the inner city .. units with car spaces will be more desirable than units without carspaces. But there is really a market in each category.

Studio Apartments, Studio Apartments with carspace, Studio units with carspace, storage unit and shared facilities.

Do you see how at each level you will attract a different client .. and have different expectations? I am deliberately using Studio as they are the most difficult market in the inner city area .. and yet the most profitable.

You should always investigate whether the market you approach is catered for .. or nearing saturation. At saturation point or above .. there are more units than possible tenants and you start lowering rentals to attract ANY tenancies.

I realise that the generally accepted view is that land outperforms units in capital gains in the long term.

This all depends on picking your market .. and market timing. Land will generally be more sought after than units .. but again we are depending on an understanding of your market conditions. Understand your market conditions to better appreciate what expectations you can have for your properties. Both land and units eventually reach a peak point .. at which point the buyer is not prepared to pay any more for the type of property provided. This is where your market knowledge will come into play. Buying at market or above market is a great way to wait a long time for a result. Buying below market .. or assessed market value is a great way to make money in the shorter term.

Profile photo of gus123gus123
    Participant
    @gus123

Firstly I have to say thank you to you all. I really appreciate the responses and this forum is obviously a great knowledge builder. I have broken down the points to respond and clarify.

You haven't indicated what sort of income you are on.

I am on $70,000 and my partner is on around $20,000

I would suggest meeting with a good broker

Im halfway there, I met a broker, but even with my limited knowledge of structuring I feel like he doesnt grasp the ideas. Hes a disciple of the negative gearing strategy above all else which I think has limited benefit for someone in my income bracket. I think its time to broaden my search.

determining if serviceability or security is the hurdle

This is a great point and I guess thats where I need to look now. When you say security do you mean that banks prefer certain types of security or are you simply referring to the LVR and potential growth? My outlook thus far has been to get something that is minimally negatively geared with the aim of positive returns in the medium term. How would my situation RE financing impact this? I guess my question is how do I determine which is my hurdle?

Gus your first entry is mired in confusion.

I guess its a mix of inexperience and hesitation. I am currently researching all I can and at this point I can only rule out strategies I dont like. Also I think most would agree that the first purchase is one of the biggest, given that its all ahead of me and if thie first purchase is not a good one, it pretty much ruins all future prospects of growth. In fact it is 100% of my  portfolio.

In my view you have set up the discretionary trust a little early, as half of the benefits you can get as a tax deduction happen at a personal or owner level

The reason i set up the trust was to direct any future income to my partners name and avoid stamp duty from transferring it over later. Any purchases I do make I hope to hold on to forever so buying in the trust from the beginning seemed logical. The only tax deduction I was aware of was depreciation and deductible interest which I had assumed were all legitimate deductions within a trust. I am aware that losses cannot be distributed but they can be deferred to a later financial year inside the trust. If there are flaws with this thinking I would be very grateful for your advice.

By doing this i also increased the rental yield

This is exactly the sort of project I would love to sink my teeth into. I guess its a matter of spotting that potential in a property and within budget.

I guess my journey from here will be to continue saving, get some good advice and research value-adding techniques that suit me. Thanks again for you responses.

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek
    gus123 wrote:

I would suggest meeting with a good broker

Im halfway there, I met a broker, but even with my limited knowledge of structuring I feel like he doesnt grasp the ideas. Hes a disciple of the negative gearing strategy above all else which I think has limited benefit for someone in my income bracket. I think its time to broaden my search.

If you are frustrated by your broker at this early stage I would contend this broker is not for you. There are a few brokers who are regulars on this forum and who often give good advice to forumites. They would be a good place to look next – and don't be fearful of their possible distance from you. Modern technology and good customer service overcome the tyranny of distance each and every time.

Your incomes, while not low, do limit, to a certain extent, any negative gearing benefits you may have.

gus123 wrote:

determining if serviceability or security is the hurdle

This is a great point and I guess thats where I need to look now. When you say security do you mean that banks prefer certain types of security or are you simply referring to the LVR and potential growth? My outlook thus far has been to get something that is minimally negatively geared with the aim of positive returns in the medium term. How would my situation RE financing impact this? I guess my question is how do I determine which is my hurdle?

Bit of both in my response – looking at the type of property but more importantly looking at your existing LVR and accessible equity levels.

If you grab another 'cookie cutter' property you'll consume a reasonable amount of your available security at which point in time you'll need to sit on your hands waiting for the market to move. By comparison some value adding strategy may alleviate this matter to some degree.

Have a good chat with a broker and they should be able to provide you with some possible scenarios if you bought something with lower/higher rent returns and/or at market value or above. 

A lot of people focus on property selection and overlook the needs of their finances. Borrowing money is fundamental to property investment and if you keep this in mind as you move along the continuum then you will improve your chances of success.

Hope this helps

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

The highly regarded brokers on here are Jamie M (Jamie Moore) and Qlds007 (Richard Taylor).  Pick one, contact them, and you'll be very pleased with the result.

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of vaughrobinvaughrobin
    @vaughrobin

Investment in Real Estate is some time the task included with Risk. The Real Estate is one of the best fields to earn more amount in less period of time. The necessary measures has to be taken before investing in the field. We should verify some of the details like where to invest and how to invest, the location, amount investment is worthable or not, Is that place have demand to invest the amount on it or not and many more tasks has to be taken into consideration. The proper consultancy of  an experienced person would better serves the purpose of investing.

Profile photo of FlozaelizaFlozaeliza
    @flozaeliza

In the first investment the most important aspect to consider is the location. You should try to invest in an area where renters will want to live. Consider proximity to transportation, shopping, and schools, as well as the area crime rate – the same sorts of considerations you would make if you were buying a home for yourself.

Profile photo of TheFinanceShopTheFinanceShop
    Participant
    @thefinanceshop

I agree with the above however crime rate is a bit debatable. Places like Mount Druitt, Doonside and Harris Park in Sydney are examples. All 3 have very strong and good performing rental and sales markets based on yield and how quickly they rent the places out.

TheFinanceShop | Elite Property Finance
    http://www.elitepropertyfinance.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Residential and Commercial Brokerage

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.