All Topics / Value Adding / Assessing the financial health of a builder

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of alfrescodiningalfrescodining
    Participant
    @alfrescodining

Is it possible to do this?

I want to avoid picking a builder who goes into administration (i.e. Procorp) as obviously that gets messy.

How can I find out whether the builder I will go with is in a good financial position?

Would they even answer those types of questions? If so, would they answer honestly?

Thanks

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

If it is a commercial project worth over $10 m then its probable if it is your house extension then you might ask for a statement of assets & liability.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

You have no real way of knowing. Ask for personal guarantees – litle help maybe.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Hate to say no builder is going to tell you in advance there is a chance of him / her going into administration half way thru your job so you are stumped there.

You are never going to know going forward but you can search the relevant Builder Services Authority in your particular State to see how many if any previous complaints the Builder has had.

Ask him if his house is in his or his wife's name and see what he says ………

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of oc1oc1
    Participant
    @oc1

In Victoria you can go to the Building Commission website and see who has been prosecuted or fined. It will also tell you why. All states would have this for you to access.

Any smart builder would have the family home in the wife's name. I would be concerned if they didn't.

One thing you can do is determine which trades they use and which suppliers. If there are any issues (late/no payments) these are the guys that may tell you.

Good luck.

Profile photo of alfrescodiningalfrescodining
    Participant
    @alfrescodining

I'm in NSW, and I can't seem to find a place where a list of complaints against builders are stored and made available.

I've tried the Dept of Fair Trading website but they don't have this kind of facility, unless I'm mistaken?

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

Home Building Licence Check

This is the link to the NSW OFT Licence Checking Website – for builders, real estate agents, conveyancers

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.