All Topics / Help Needed! / $250K what to do?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Profile photo of yobbo1yobbo1
    @yobbo1

Hi All,

I am hitting a brick wall. I have $250K cash and want to invest in another property but I just can;t come to a decision on where! That is the biggest question. I feel comfortable with cash flow neutral or positive properties so am looking at larger regional centers with growth potential and at the same time good rental yields.

Any thoughts or ideas on this one…

thanks for any assistance,smiley

Profile photo of Rick staRick sta
    Participant
    @rick-sta

With 250k cash you have a lot of options, I certainly wish I had that sort of money just laying around.

my latest interest has been older duplexes, some minor renos can achieve great rental yields.

Profile photo of ivancivanc
    @ivanc

Do you want to strickily invest in the Australian property market or you have more fixible than that? I have invested in a nice 1 bedroom premium water front condo in Miami for 1/4 of Sydney price about a year ago and it has been doing quite nicely in terms of capital gain. at least 50% above its purchased value.

But getting the tax and everything right is a pain and still trying to work that out, I've call up a few accountants who can do this for me have quoted me $1400 for setting it up and do the 2011 tax return and $1000 every year after. The other one qouted me for $2100 to setup and 1200 for each year! with different tax structure! I will talk more in another thread to seek some experts advise.

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Hi Yobbo,

Just to clarify – is this your first investment or do you have property already?

Might help others to frame their responses.

Profile photo of panno24panno24
    Participant
    @panno24

Hi Yobbo, i would recommend looking at some of the Northers suburbs of Adealide. I have recently purchased a pair of duplexes with around 7.5% yield. My properties are in Elizabeth and i have noticed there are a few good value properties around that are. It is a lower socioeconomic area and it is important that you could feel comfortable investing in such an area. The properties like this are tenant proof as they are mostly double brick and timber floors. The vacancy rate is also low and the Playford council (shire) are very proactive in attracting investors and I see a lot of the older big blocks being developed as a result. Also i like the looks of the Mildura (vic)  market, and they also have some lower entry priced properties which would be close to positive geared. Hope this might have been some help

Profile photo of yobbo1yobbo1
    @yobbo1

Thanks for the input all,

I currently have 2 investment properties already. I have been looking at older duplexes as rick sta also recommends. These I believe give good cash flow and if renovated $ can be added. Also looking at cheaper un renovated houses with "potential".

I used to live in Adelaide so I know about Elizabeth. If i was a little closer I would certainly buy there and I think there are OK areas of Elizabeth so it's not all bad:)

I appreciate the ideas, they are very helpful.

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

HI Yobbo,

Without knowing your full position – why are your looking at using cash for your next purchase?

If you use cash then you have lost any flexibility the cash can provide you with. For what it is worth I would prefer to put  the money into an offset account – (a bit like earning approx 6% tax free) – and, if possible leveraging off you r existing properties and  their equity.

The use of an offset account means you'll be able to use cash towards your PPOR if, and when, the time arrives.

Cash to the value you have can be used to great effect if used wisely – from my perspective I would spend some time strategising the opportunity you have in front of you. 

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m
    Derek wrote:
    HI Yobbo,

Without knowing your full position – why are your looking at using cash for your next purchase?

My thoughts exactly.

Tread carefully here. While buying an IP outright sounds great – it may not be your best option.

If you've decided that property investing is for you, $250k (depending on a heap of other factors) is a nice base to grow your portfolio from and potentially purchase multiple properties.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of Nigel KibelNigel Kibel
    Participant
    @nigel-kibel

I would suggest to be creative, maybe look at a development project, or team up with people who have the experience

Nigel Kibel | Property Know How
    http://propertyknowhow.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

We have just launched a new website join our membership today

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Before you start looking to invest consider some asset protection strategies.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of mattstamattsta
    Participant
    @mattsta

I would also recommend investing in duplexes or 2-3 bedroom middle size houses somewhere in QLD. Would you like to invest in Australian property only or you consider foreign property investment as well?

Profile photo of abcd1abcd1
    Participant
    @abcd1

look at investing across multiple properties, I have made the mistake of tying to much cash up in 1 property

in 5 years from now you don't know where that property value or rent return may be or bank rules…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.