All Topics / General Property / Tenants to clean gutters?

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Profile photo of alfrescodiningalfrescodining
    Participant
    @alfrescodining

Good morning.

Who is responsible for cleaning the gutters? Me or the tenant?

My property manager told me this morning that if my tenant gets up on a ladder to clean the gutters and falls off and hurts themselves, then I'm liable.

Is this correct or have I just been given a whole lot of balloney?

Profile photo of DWolfeDWolfe
    Participant
    @dwolfe

Hi Alfresco,

Just pay to get it done. Most managers can set up a yearly clean, add it to the maintenance etc.

We get ours done every year, we have no dramas, it doesn't cost much, and no body gets sued.

It also protects you from having to pay out on a tenants property when a gutter blocks and water floods in through the lounge room window all over their flatscreen tv. (I got my tv fixed under warranty luckily)

Cheers

D

DWolfe | www.homestagers.com.au
    http://www.homestagers.com.au
    Email Me

Profile photo of Jeff123Jeff123
    Participant
    @jeff123

I have just had this conversation.  How uncanny.  I agree pay to get it routinely done, and save any drama.

Profile photo of jmsracheljmsrachel
    Participant
    @jmsrachel

My pm says It’s the landlords job. I rather do it myself, only takes an hour.

Profile photo of DWolfeDWolfe
    Participant
    @dwolfe

Yeah,

It might cost me a bit to fly to WA, then get a ladder and giddy on up there.

I'll just pay someone :D

Cheers

D

DWolfe | www.homestagers.com.au
    http://www.homestagers.com.au
    Email Me

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Who baulks at paying to get their car serviced? As a car owner I know I need to make arrangements to look after my car. I also know the car will require maintenance over the life of ownership.

Just a car needs regular service to to does a property. Owning a property comes with responsibilities and as landlords we should be fulfilling these.

Recommend all investors grab a copy of tenancy act for each of the states they own property and know what their rights and responsibilities are.

Profile photo of PilbarawaynePilbarawayne
    @pilbarawayne

Hi,

Sorry for any format errors but this is my first post on this webpage.  Cleaning of gutters falls under the category of building maintenance, the landlord is responsible for doing so. 

There is no obligation to do so however failure to maintain gutters can cause flooding issues which if it affects the tenants possessions can result in civil action.  A flooded ceiling will also impact on your property value. 

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

Just install gutter guard and in most cases it should stop the accumulation of leaves.

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m
    DWolfe wrote:
    Hi Alfresco,

Just pay to get it done. Most managers can set up a yearly clean, add it to the maintenance etc.

Good advice.

Besides, it's a small price to pay for peace of mind.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of ducksterduckster
    Participant
    @duckster

Sorry I have got gutter guard and so far have had to get the dust and dirt that accumulates cleaned out of the gutters plus the grass growing in the dust. Gutters could also rust if not cleaned out increasing future repair costs. I pay someone via the property manager.

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

Just to throw it into the mix, I've had my plumber ask whether I need the gutters cleaned when I've sent him out on other chores.  I know I could have the gardener do it also.  If the gardener has a ladder and a hose, it's in play. 

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of DubstepDubstep
    Participant
    @dubstep

I have seen new houses with this type of leaf catcher on the downpipe, which I think is a great design.

Profile photo of fadridrockyfadridrocky
    @fadridrocky
    alfrescodining wrote:
    Good morning.

Who is responsible for commercial carpet cleaners gold coast the gutters? Me or the tenant?

My property manager told me this morning that if my tenant gets up on a ladder to clean the gutters and falls off and hurts themselves, then I'm liable.

Is this correct or have I just been given a carpet cleaning goldcoast whole lot of balloney?

Tenants are mostly responsible of gutter cleaning if you have given them cleaned. It is actually based on lease agreement you have signed with tenants.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.