All Topics / Value Adding / Will building an extra bedroom help sell a property?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of kempezykempezy
    @kempezy

Hi All,

My father lives in a shack community on the Yorke Peninsula, South Australia. It has 2 bedrooms, open plan living and dinning, new cupboards, nice big shed and overall for a shack, very tidy.

The property sits right on the beach front with lovely sea views. The tide goes out a fair way during the day but it's still a great place to swim at high tide, with fantastic crabbing and fishing. I love it there.

My father wants to sell and move back to the city for health reasons. He has had the property on the market for nearly 2 years but with no real interest. He has dropped his asking price over $100,000 just to get a sale but still he has had no decent bites.

The feed back is that ,although nice, it is a little bit small and being a shack, only having  2 bedrooms is a negative. The economic downturn has effected real estate so this is a contributing factor as well.

So as you can see, he needs to do something different besides keep dropping the price.

I suggested why doesn't he enclose the front portion of the shed in to a room, with a sliding door at the front, thus creating a 3rd bed room. I work in the building industry and could get this done quite cheaply.

Is this a good idea or could any one suggest some other alternatives?

Bear in mind that it is a shack where the population swells in holiday season.

Thanks in Advance

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

it won’t harm if you have an extra bedroom

Profile photo of alfrescodiningalfrescodining
    Participant
    @alfrescodining

Call it a Christmas/birthday present for the next 10 years and forget about the $900 !

Profile photo of Christian Rene FriborgChristian Rene Friborg
    Participant
    @christian-rene-friborg

I like the idea of having a 3m x 3m extra room that would definetely help the advertising. I will be interested in that house if I would be the buyer. 

Profile photo of M.InvestigatorM.Investigator
    @m.investigator

Yes definitely it will be an added value to the property.  This will increase  the property's saleability.

Just make sure you won't  go over the average ceiling price for that area.  Good luck!

Profile photo of DavidRSPDavidRSP
    @davidrsp

I think from a specification point of view, its going to help quite a lot. But having said that, you need to have good spot to place the extra bedroom.

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

Kempezy, what is a shack community? Is this a recognised group of squatters who have built humpies then been granted title to the land?

Have you built the room?

Does the agent know it is is 3 bedroom house now?

Has the agent updated the adverts?

Has it helped the sale?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.