All Topics / General Property / tenant had a break-in

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of dazed321dazed321
    @dazed321

hi Guys,

I have house in WA that is tenanted, and they were broken into. The only loss was the damage to two fly screens and the siding door.

My questions is, how is responsible for this me or the tenant?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanking you in advance

Profile photo of DWolfeDWolfe
    Participant
    @dwolfe

Hi Dazed,

We had the same thing. As the landlord you are responsible for the property being kept in a secure condition.

You'll need to replace the screens and door, obviously, and the tenants may want you to put more security in place such as security screens or security door, this is at your discretion. If they are good tenants it may be worth making them feel safe again in the property, even if they move out, the property may appeal to the next people as there is more security.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

D

DWolfe | www.homestagers.com.au
    http://www.homestagers.com.au
    Email Me

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Hi Dazed,

As an extension to DWolfe's response – tenants need to take out their own contents insurance.

Might be an opportune time to remind them of this. Sounds like they got off lightly this time.

Profile photo of mattstamattsta
    Participant
    @mattsta

It is your responsibility to replace the doors and screens. On the other hand, tenants should have their own insurance to cover loss of their belongings. 

Profile photo of dazed321dazed321
    @dazed321

Thanks Guys,

Greatly appreciated, 

Profile photo of MemphisPropertyInvestorsMemphisPropertyInvestors
    @memphispropertyinvestors

Agreed. The tenant should have renters insurance. The landlord is responsible for ensuring a safe structure. If you do NOT replace the screen doors, the tenant could have a right to sue your company for un-liveable rental conditions.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.