All Topics / General Property / RBA Decision

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Profile photo of SamSavvaSamSavva
    Participant
    @samsavva

Hey guys,

Just wondering what people's prediction are in regards to interest rates and why?

Look forward to hearing your thoughts

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Methinks – no change.

Had a couple of rate reductions in recent months and the RBA may want to see what effect those reductions have had before taking any more action.

Profile photo of xdrewxdrew
    Participant
    @xdrew

Well .. the rates are phenomenally low at the moment, but the Banks are tougher on what they'll let through.

So it might be around the 6% mark at the moment .. but its usually been as low as it will get. Historically it tends to bounce back up.

You'll do damage to yourself if you take on the prospect of lower inflationary numbers and cheaper variable rates with an investment proposition .. heck .. even a home loan. These rates at the moment are ABNORMALLY low. Take advantage of them .. yes .. but fix them for a greater level of years .. because .. like any lifetime opportunity .. it only passes your way the once.

I'm expecting inflation .. i'm seeing it in food prices and services already. That has gotta be reflected in the overall picture. You cant keep lowering rates, and have petrol prices climb to $1.60 and not see that passed on in the supermarket .. and any business that relies on transportation for goods.

If you can do things at the moment .. grab onto something solid .. go for a medium to longer term fixed rate arrangement .. and hold on tight. We will be in for a VERY bumpy economic ride in the coming years.

Oh yes .. the other thing. Make sure you arent pushing yourself with edge gearing (90% or higher). Market drops 10% or more (not unheard of) .. you'll be owing the banks. Sure edge gearing works .. but .. again its all a matter of timing. And now is not that time.

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

No change.

But I've been wrong before – plenty of times.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek
    Jamie M wrote:

But I've been wrong before – plenty of times.

There are some things that just shouldn't be put in the public arena Jamie – think of your career reputation.

Participant
    @jamie-m

lol – I don't mind admitting to not being able to pick RBA rate movements. Sometimes it's obvious – sometimes it isn't. I don't think today's decision is that obvious – it could go either way, I think it will remain unchanged.

Cheers

Jamie

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

Since the banks seem to be making up their own rules on interest rates passed to the mortgage holder, it probably doesn't matter much what the RBA decides! 

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

I don't think there will be a change either.

What time does it come out? 2.30 isn't it??

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of JpcashflowJpcashflow
    Participant
    @jpcashflow

I have to agree with xdrew on all points,

In terms of inflation going down cant see that happening

australia has become a expensive place to do business 

i work in shipping an it's cheaper for me to move one pallet from china to Melbourne then Melbourne to NSW

Jpcashflow | JP Financial Group
    http://www.jpfinancialgroup.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Your first port of call in finance :)

Participant
    @jamie-m

Looks like I got this one right ;-)

On hold for another month http://www.theadviser.com.au/breaking-news/7926-rates-on-hold

Cheers

Jamie

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of PLCPLC
    Participant
    @plc

Interesting to see what the RBA do next month as there is no meeting in January.

If they stay unchanged, it might suggest that we're at or close to the bottom.

Cheers

Tom

PLC | Phoenix Loan Consulting
    Email Me | Phone Me

Melbourne based Mortgage Broker | Making Finance Simple

Profile photo of Rick staRick sta
    Participant
    @rick-sta

I'm using an 'edge gearing' strategy as I am young and don't have a great deal of capital, Also the higher risk strategies excite me.  Hopefully it works out…

Participant
    @jacm
    Terryw wrote:
    What time does it come out? 2.30 isn't it??

Bang on 2.30pm Terry, yes.  Since the value of a currency is affected by movements in interest rates, it is always a very good time to be paying attention not only from a mortgage interest rate perspective, but also a foreign currency exchange rate perspective.

About 4 years ago there was a very splendid window of opportunity of 48 hours between UK interest rate announcement and AUS interest rate announcement.  It was around the time people had started quivering over something called a GFC that was apparently on its way.  Anyway, at that time, the exchange rate charts looked like a rollercoaster for 48hrs, and then the golden window of opportunity closed and returned to boring small incremental changes.

Email Me | Phone Me

Participant
    @jacm
    PLC wrote:
    Interesting to see what the RBA do next month as there is no meeting in January.

If they stay unchanged, it might suggest that we're at or close to the bottom.

Cheers

Tom

Good points.  One cannot ignore however that the UK has been sitting on interest rates below 1% or something stupid like that for quite some time now.  Anyone in the know have any clue what circumstances would need to be present for that to occur here?

Email Me | Phone Me

Participant
    @jacm
    Rick sta wrote:
    I'm using an 'edge gearing' strategy as I am young and don't have a great deal of capital, Also the higher risk strategies excite me.  Hopefully it works out…

I have decided to have a crack at the "really low offers" strategy.  Make your money when you buy and all that.  I just put in an offer of 20% below asking price and the selling agent neither laughed nor complained.  Now let us see if I can get it across the line.

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of Gazza21Gazza21
    Participant
    @gazza21

JacM:

I fixed my mortgage at around 5% in the UK not long before the rate plummeted to that record low and spent three years regretting it! Back on the std variable now, cashflow improved ;-)

Trust me, you do not want the kind of conditions that caused that to happen here.

Thousands of job losses, wages frozen/falling, businesses closing everywhere, high street shops closing/going bust, new car sales plummeting, nobody spending any more because they were scared they'd lose their jobs etc. Grim!

Weirdly I had more work and was earning more money in that period than I ever have but the majority weren't so lucky. The company my brother worked for laid off 150 bricklayers one Friday afternoon. Imagine trying to find another job knowing 149 others were probably competing with you for it as well.

Profile photo of Rick staRick sta
    Participant
    @rick-sta

I phoned an agent today to discuss a property I'm keen on, he revealed he was in Melbourne (the property and the agents office are in Qld) and judging by the rowdy behaviour I could hear in the background I'm guessing he was having a coldie at the Melbourne cup. He without hesitation told me about a previous offer on the property and also the vendors counter offer which was about 10% below asking price price ( and I believe market value). What a great position to start negotiations from. Can't wait to give him a call once he's sobered up and get started.

Profile photo of PLCPLC
    Participant
    @plc

Even intoxicated, he had his script ready!

Cheers

Tom

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of PLCPLC
    Participant
    @plc

No doubting that, but considering how poorly things actually are out there at the moment, and the RBA isn't pulling the trigger knowing they still do have a lot of room to move, one must wonder what it actually will take for them to cut further?

A total meltdown? Financial Armageddon? That would definitely do it. What else?

Cheers

Tom

Email Me | Phone Me

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.