All Topics / Help Needed! / How much money do i need to begin?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Profile photo of Steven BSteven B
    Participant
    @steven-b

I'm young 20 yr old, how much money do I need to start and work towards 58 positive cashflow properties?

How do i get on the ladder with under 30k? Do i get a loan? do i work to earn more money?

What's the process?

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

The minimum deposit required to purchase an IP is 5%

You then need enough funds to cover purchase costs such as stamp duty and legal fees.

Unless you have enough money to purchase an IP outright (which isn't usually a great idea) then yes, you will need to take out a loan.

A decent broker/banker will be able to assess your situation and provide appropriate advice.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

The minimum deposit required to purchase an IP is 5%

You then need enough funds to cover purchase costs such as stamp duty and legal fees.

Unless you have enough money to purchase an IP outright (which isn't usually a great idea) then yes, you will need to take out a loan.

A decent broker/banker will be able to assess your situation and provide appropriate advice.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of LynFLynF
    Participant
    @lynf

Hi Steven,

I'm not an expert, I don't have any property myself (yet). But I'll offer what I can.

Did you mean you had under $30k as a deposit or is it your wage?

If you meant it as a deposit you are well on the way to making this happen. (I wish I had thought about buying property at your age.)

So all I can suggest is to do research, ask questions of people who know more about it than you, and read books and magazines on the subject. There are many ways to buy property and you need to find the way that suits your needs and ability the best. Being a part of this website is a great place to start.

There are still properties around priced between $100k – $150k that are cashflow positive. You could potentially use a $30k deposit to buy one of those. I know Steve McKnight recommends buying with a 20% deposit to avoid Mortgage Insurance but in the end the banks will probably lend higher than that depending on your ability to service a loan. Talk to a mortgage broker to get an idea of how much you are able to borrow on your wage, etc and that may help you work out your strategy.

Like I said, I'm not an expert and there are plenty of others on this site who can offer better advice than I. So, good luck with your venture.

Cheers, Lyn

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek
    TonyLyn wrote:
    There are still properties around priced between $100k – $150k that are cashflow positive. You could potentially use a $30k deposit to buy one of those. I know Steve McKnight recommends buying with a 20% deposit to avoid Mortgage Insurance but in the end the banks will probably lend higher than that depending on your ability to service a loan.

Hi Lyn,

Some good comments and advice there.

I see LMI as a tool to be used to my advantage and am not averse to using LMI whenever I can. The proviso I put on this is making usre my overall LVR is ar reasonable levels.

Having said all of that LMI providers typically prefer mainstream, larger, safer locations and problems may be experienced trying to get LMI in locations where property is in the price range you suggest. LMI providers are a little more risk averse than they were a few years ago.

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Hi Steven,

I am not sure where the 58 properties came from but the key when starting out is to get to the start line and start the journey. In other words focus all of your efforts on number 1.

When that one is tucked away then look for number 2, then 3 and so on.

Property is all about one step at a time.

Jamie has given you some ball park figures to work with.

At this stage grab yourself a broker and talk to them about your dreams and aspirations, your income and savings level and see what sort of information they can come back to you with. There are a few brokers on this forum who would be good to have in your team. Jamie is a broker so might be worth banging him and email or giving him a call – I hear he doesn't bite. 

I don't know your situation to make reliable comment at this point in time but it is possible the broker may say 'you haven't got enough income or savings now' – If this is the case don't walk away crest fallen and defeated, rather use the information to set yourself some achievable goals.

Then when those targets are met go back to that broker and get going.

Profile photo of LynFLynF
    Participant
    @lynf

Thanks for the comments Derek, I'll keep that in mind.

Cheers, Lyn

Profile photo of jmsracheljmsrachel
    Participant
    @jmsrachel

Hi Steven,

That’s some good advice from Derek, one step at a time. Slow and steady wins the race. I believe 58 properties is achievable. If you work hard enough, and never lose site of your goals you will get there. If it means you need to get a second job so be it.

Profile photo of TheFinanceShopTheFinanceShop
    Participant
    @thefinanceshop

Based on the number of properties you are wanting to purchasing and also your income/cashflow – you need to implement a strategy that will give you access to equity quickly. This may come by way of a renovation but some of the most common strategies have been to purchase a property with the strong possibility of subdividing the land in the back of the property and either building or selling which in turn pays down the mortgage giving access to equity and/or higher yield. Before you rush into buying a property – look at it like a business, have a strategy and crunch the numbers. Also have a good understanding of the local council guidelines.

TheFinanceShop | Elite Property Finance
    http://www.elitepropertyfinance.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Residential and Commercial Brokerage

Profile photo of EmilyMcBEmilyMcB
    @emilymcb

Hi Steven,

I'm 23 and have just bought my first IP.

I needed to have 30k saved and an income of approx 50k to afford an appropriate property.

I don't have any other assets and I moved out of home into a rented apartment at the beginning of the year. Taking the first step and officially assessing your borrowing capacity with a financial advisor will give you the best idea of whether your situation can support an IP but know that it is possible and you don't need much to do it.

Good luck,

Emily

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

Hi Steven

Wow that's a very specific target – 58 cashflow positive properties.  I am intrigued to know why the golden number is 58?

I don't care how many properties I have… so long as by the time I am retired from the workforce, the rents (after paying expenses such as council rates and so on) cover my living costs.  Then once that goal is achieved, step it up a notch and arrange things so I can either retire earlier, or retire at the normal retirement age on a bigger income.

You can indeed make a start on $30k. The key is to try and buy a place that is likely to see some growth pretty quickly, so that you can use the equity (increase in value) as a deposit on the next property, and repeat.  This is how you keep building your portfolio without having to slog it out working longer and longer hours at your day job.  You simply sit back and let your property go up in value, and then leverage that.

It's really up to you to choose WHERE to invest and what type of property to purchase in your target town.  If you make your own decisions based on sensible research you will be confident in what you are doing.  It's up to your mortgage broker to source a loan for the purchase for you.

The stats pages at the rear of the Australian Property Investor magazine can show you figures on rental yields, vacancy rates, and historical capital growth.

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

ps Jamie M, who has already responded to you in this thread, is a well-respected mortgage broker on these forums.  Give him a call and have a chat about your goals, and have him get you started on getting there.

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.