All Topics / Legal & Accounting / Subleasing requirements?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Profile photo of kong71286kong71286
    Participant
    @kong71286

Hey guys,

I am currently leasing a 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom, 2 garage home in Ballarat and would like to rent out a spare bedroom I have at the property, but am unsure about what the requirements are and what I am allowed to do and not to do.

so far I have transferred lease and bond of the property solely under my name, and have asked the rental manager about the right to sublease in exchange for signing a longer term lease and possibly paying extra rent.

assuming permission is granted from the owner, how would I proceed with subleasing, and what are the requirements?

Am I allowed to charge an all inclusive fee of  $135-150 per week, which includes rent, gas, electricity, Internet, and use of all appliances, utensils, and furniture, management, cleaning, gardening etc? Or do these need separated into different agreements? 

Would the above arrangement of subleasing a spare bedroom constitute as rooming house, and mean I have to meet the obligations under the consumer affairs document 'rooming houses – a guide for residents and operators'? I.e. would I need to ask permission from council, have someone inspect the property, and install locks for each room etc?

Any light shredded on the above would greatly be appreciated…

Profile photo of DWolfeDWolfe
    Participant
    @dwolfe

Hi Kong,

I think as to the agreement, it can be what you and the tenant are happy with.

Make sure you get everything in writing from your landlord, and get everything in writing from your tenant. (Obviously)

As far as the rooming house part is concerned I thought this was only for 4 or more people sharing one house on separate leases. Have a check on the local council website and see if there is any documentation, failing that ring the council and ask them to post/email  you out any written material they have. Always in writing.

You can also ring consumer affairs and see what info they have.

You may want to arrange a lock for the door more for the tenants privacy than anything, but I'd tread carefully with that as you want to make the door can be easily opened if there is a fire or other emergency.

Hope this helps, Just keep asking questions until you think you have covered all the bases.

Cheers

D

DWolfe | www.homestagers.com.au
    http://www.homestagers.com.au
    Email Me

Profile photo of kong71286kong71286
    Participant
    @kong71286

Thanks for the reply DWolfe

I dropped by the council today on my way from Target and I was told that I did not need council permission unless the room had more than 4 people (not sure if I heard this correctly or whether they meant house) but either this shouldn't be an issue since there will only be 3 people living at the property – maybe I should try to get this in writing like you mentioned

What do you think about my amateur attempt to stage the kitchen? cheeky

Participant
    @dwolfe

Hey Kong,

It's great, the only fault I can pick is the chair under the microwave, but then in my dream house I'd probably have a chair in front of the fridge :p lol!

Good on you Kong, hope you make some good money and you can get this too work without too much hassle!

Cheers

D

Email Me

Participant
    @kong71286

Lounge Room:

Couches were bought from colleague's garage sale, but I'm still undecided about whether to replace them with black leather couch, or whether reupholstering them might a more cost effective solution or to just leave alone

Participant
    @kong71286

Haha…  thanks for the encouragement DWolfe laugh

This is my first time doing this, and its a good learning experience for me.

My neighbour came in to help me setup some bedroom furniture today and she was quite impressed, and thought charging $135 per week and including all utility bills, internet, appliances, utensils and furniture seemed a bit cheap and when I delve on it I think she might have a good point.

Weekly rent is $320, bills are about $60 per week, and spending for shared items in the house such as fridge, washing machine, microwave, furniture etc is roughly $4,000 – What would you recommend charging?

Participant
    @dwolfe

Depends on the market,

Looks good, nice and clean, no clutter, colours match.

I try to put something 'live' in the rooms too, so a plant, or flowers or even dry coloured twigs if I can't put a plant in. It's a hassle coz they need water or changing. Succulents are good in a coloured pot.

I think you've done really well, considering this is a house to be shared by yourself and others, still needs to function as a home too!

Good luck!

D

Email Me

Participant
    @dwolfe

Yeah, it's great for a first time!

What's the right answer for you Kong? How much is it worth to you? What will the market pay?

I'd love to give you a figure but not knowing the area, I can't. It's really going to be what you think the extra work, etc with worth every week. You can always start low and work on increases later. You have to also weigh up the risks with asking too much and having people put off by the price.

Cheers

D

Email Me

Participant
    @kong71286

Good point

Probably don't want to charge too low, but also don't want to charge too high .

Need to find some middle ground yes

Ballarat Share Accommodation are charging $190-$250 per week for each room, and it looks like they are in fairly high demand, so I'm thinking maybe $150 per week.

Just have a few questions:

Would it be OK for me to use the 'House Rules' listed on their website and modify them to my needs, or would I be violating copyright laws?

Also, what are your thoughts on the following 'Tenant Application Form'?

Greatly appreciate the help! smiley

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.