All Topics / Help Needed! / What protection do I have if tenants trash my IP?

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of SamSavvaSamSavva
    Participant
    @samsavva

Hello everyone,

I've found a property which has an impressive yield and other growth drivers.. However the suburb has a poor reputation for having a lower social demographic. I keep getting negative smart ass comments from mates saying ill have keep repairing holes in the walls or the place will get burnt down or shot up ect ect.

Im curious as to what cover I can get if any to cover me against unfortunate events like damage, non rent payers ect? If insurance more expensive depending on the property's location? What tHe company void or not renew my insurance after multiple claims?

Cheers,

Sam

Profile photo of MysteryMystery
    Participant
    @mystery

Sam, …… It doesn't matter what Landlord Insurance costs it is an essential part of property investing for piece of mind. One of my properties in a similar type of area you are describing had $18,000 malicious damage done plus 4 months of lost rent.  I only lost the policy excess amounts, the rest was paid.

You can do your best to ensure you get a good tenant, but in the end it really does come down to luck and the quality of your property manager. In regards to the mates …. you should be able to give it back to them in a few years when some capital growth kicks in.

In regards to your landlord insurance multiple claims questions, ….. Speak to several insurance companies to compare their policy coverage and policy claim criteria.

Mystery

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

Other than getting LL insurance, everything else is pretty much beyond your control. Getting a good property manager on board is a good start even if you have to pay a little more than the others, you have the higher yields to cover it.

Profile photo of SamSavvaSamSavva
    Participant
    @samsavva

Great thanks for the responses guys. I will def look into Landlords insurance. Pardon my ignorance but I gather LL insurance protects against damage and loss of rent. Would anyone recommend certain insurance companies and policies?

thanks appreciate it

Profile photo of TheFinanceShopTheFinanceShop
    Participant
    @thefinanceshop

Landlord insurance is a must. Also don't forget to get the quarterly agent reports on the condition of the property. Don't expect that the agent is doing their job properly.

TheFinanceShop | Elite Property Finance
    http://www.elitepropertyfinance.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Residential and Commercial Brokerage

Profile photo of MysteryMystery
    Participant
    @mystery
    SamSavva wrote:
    Great thanks for the responses guys. I will def look into Landlords insurance. Pardon my ignorance but I gather LL insurance protects against damage and loss of rent. Would anyone recommend certain insurance companies and policies?

thanks appreciate it

Landlord insurance generally only covers you for proven malicious damage not general wear and tear.

We use NRMA because we get a good discount and they have always been fair with our claims. Others will have their preference.

All the best

Mystery

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

There are a few providers our there eg aami, territory sheer, nrma, westpac etc. Shop around for the best cover not the best price.

Profile photo of mattstamattsta
    Participant
    @mattsta

Of, course get the landlord insurance to protect you from damages. You can also require your tenants to purchase the rental insurance before moving in. 

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.