All Topics / Help Needed! / Property investment seminars – genuine only!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 32 total)
  • Profile photo of mjm2mjm2
    @mjm2

Hi,

As a newbie investor looking to be very good at it in the future (!) I would think that attending seminars run by successful investors themselves would be a smart thing to do.  BUT I am well aware that a large percentage of them would be run with an agenda of getting people to pay them money/invest with them etc etc which I am not wanting to be a part of.

Could anyone please advise some unbiased genuine seminars that are held purely with the intent to educate on the principals of investing etc?

I am in Melbourne.

cheers,

Mel

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Hi Mel

There's always going to be a motive behind seminars – it's not necessarily a bad thing, but it's a reality.

If you're looking to touch base with other investors in your area, I know there's a regular get together in Melb that's broadcasted on the somersoft forum.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of mjm2mjm2
    @mjm2

Thanks for your reply Jamie.  Somersoft forum???  How do I find that, sorry!

@mjm2

Oh I just googled it and found the details, thanks!

Participant
    @jamie-m

No worries at all – they're a friendly bunch as well.

Cheers

Jamie

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

Ultimately, people running seminars are earning either all or some of their income through doing so.  Whether it be charging tickets to the event, or sourcing new clients that will buy product/services.  Naturally if something is your source of income, you need to earn money from it.  It is rewarding educating others for the love of it but this unfortunately doesn't put food on the table.  Similarly, you wouldn't go to work each day unless they paid you.

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Hi Jamie,

I am not doubting the SS meetings in any way at all.

I just wonder if the SS event is more a networking rather than seminar event. Given the initial enquiry was trying to get some strategy/approach tips and techniques as part of their own learning journey I wonder if they wouldn't be better off tracking down property seminars from banks, brokers etc

Having said that clearly the SS event may create opportunities to link with successful investors in more of a mentoring/ chat over coffee role.

Just my thoughts.

Profile photo of crentschycrentschy
    Participant
    @crentschy

Hey mjm2. I believe Steve is of the small percentage that want to see you succeed in property. Also I would highly recommend Cherie Barber with renovating for profit. These two investors are not afraid to share any bit of knowledge they have with you. I used to think the same as you… They just want my money! Buy since paying a very substantial amount  of my money to  learn about the process Cherie puts into practise, has proved to be a very valuable investment for my future.  I didn't like some of my teachers or lecturers at school and university or the way they talked sometimes. And they may not have been very moral or cared about me at all, but I paid more money to sit under their teaching than  steve or Cherie are asking for their life changing lessons. These people don't need our money. They know how to make their own. But they are willing to share their knowledge and mentor us until we are successful. Us having to pay this money proves that we really believe it ourselves that this is an investment and we will treat it like its precious! 

Take the faith step… Invest in your future!!

@mjm2

Thankyou everyone for commenting!  Please dont get me wrong, I am happy to, and understand why someone would charge a fee to attend a seminar. 

I guess I am just trying to avoid the situation a friend of mine got herself into by going to a seminar where someone told her she would get rich quick.  She bought all these manuals and information and an investment property under their banner which ended her in a lot of debt.  Don't know the details but I am just being wary of the 'get rich quick' schemes!  But for someone like those mentioned above, yes understand they are going to charge a fee for their time!

I'll look into Steve and Cheries schedule, and the mentoring group.

Cheers,

Mel

Profile photo of Gazza21Gazza21
    Participant
    @gazza21

I attend most of the seminars I find out about nearby that aren’t ridiculously priced. I attend knowing there might be an ulterior motive and that I may have been invited along because its an opportunity for someone to express how difficult it is to make it in property investing without having the right team behind you, before offering their expert services for thousands of dollars. Generally I dont mind being offered something.

The worst case of this by far was Michael Yardney. I took my girlfriend with me and I had to apologise big time. It was unbelievable, I felt like I was in a room full of sheep that he was trying to manipulate, almost American cult like. All day he would give an example of a benefit to successful property investing like passive income for eg, and say raise your hand if you want a piece of that? All day everyone was raising their hands. I said to my gf early on he’s trying to get everyone into an ‘agreeable state’ there’s a big sales pitch coming up soon… And sure enough it came, $4k for some millionaire mentorship programme.

It could of been the best mentoring programme in the world for the best value for all I knew, but the way he tried to manipulate the room made me feel sick. I felt embarrassed to be there. People were rushing up to buy it and I’m sure some of those were hired to create the feeling that ‘everyone’s going for it’ (its called social proof) and he sat at the front of the room almost foaming at the mouth while people were signing up. Cringe!

The only reason I didn’t leave after the first hr or so was a good accountant was talking at the end about trust structures and I needed to hear what they had to say, plus there were a couple of other speakers I wanted to hear.

I have a couple of his books but after seeing him that day I will never spend another cent on anything from him again. The last book I read was like a rip off of rich dad poor dad. I hope he reads this, and i’d love to hear from anyone else who has attended one of his seminars or better, been on his mentorship programme?

I still attend lots of seminars on the basis that if I find out one piece of useful information it will probably have been worth the money. Steve is in Perth next month ($20) I’ve no doubt there’ll be a mention of his USA property fund at the end and an offer go get in a little cheaper on the night but as long as he doesn’t try and hypnotize the room I don’t mind hearing it! I’ll report back on this thread and let you know how that one goes..

Profile photo of Nigel KibelNigel Kibel
    Participant
    @nigel-kibel

The Problem is that many of the marketing companies that run the seminars attract people who have no money so they get you all excited and then release the sell speakers. You know the ones, how to be a property developer in just 5 days. The reality is if you pay $5000 for a course then the promoting company gets half. That shows great value to you.Now I am not saying that some of the courses are worth doing. But most people are not going to be property valuers after 5 days. I have been involved for a long times and am involved in both Property Development and the United States however one of my partners is a very experienced Project manager and I have just set up a new company in the States. I see our clients as partners. I am not interested in talking about waving a magic wand to create wealth. There are many strategies that can work.

One final observation is that many people think they know more about property than they do. 

So remember whatever the deal make sure you do plenty due diligence before committing your money

Nigel Kibel | Property Know How
    http://propertyknowhow.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

We have just launched a new website join our membership today

Profile photo of VirtualTVirtualT
    Participant
    @virtualt
    Qlds007 wrote:
    Hi Mjm

I am looking at doing a series of investor information nights in early 2013 (yes i no i said that earlier this year but the volume of business from investors meant i needed to stay in Brissie and process loans) in both Sydney and Melbourne which you are welcome to attend.

Promise i have nothing too sell other than to assist and educate other investors.

If you interested shoot me an email and i will put you on the invitation list.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

hmm, advise from someone that doesn't know the difference between "no" and "know"?

Profile photo of Gazza21Gazza21
    Participant
    @gazza21

I think Richards actually done quite well out of investing in property and as a broker. I’d be more than happy to listen to his advice if he ever ventures over to the west side..

He’s made one or two posts to help people out for free on these forums over the years too

Participant
    @jamie-m
    Derek wrote:
    Hi Jamie,

I am not doubting the SS meetings in any way at all.

I just wonder if the SS event is more a networking rather than seminar event. Given the initial enquiry was trying to get some strategy/approach tips and techniques as part of their own learning journey I wonder if they wouldn't be better off tracking down property seminars from banks, brokers etc

Having said that clearly the SS event may create opportunities to link with successful investors in more of a mentoring/ chat over coffee role.

Just my thoughts.

I assume it's more of an opportunity to chat with like minded people and bounce some ideas of others. I think they have a guest speaker every now and then.

You're right, it's not a seminar per se….but certainly probably worth checking out for someone that lives in the area.

Cheers

Jamie

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of Rob123Rob123
    Participant
    @rob123

Hi VirtualT,

It’s actually “advice”, not “advise”… now what’s that phrase.. something about glass houses and throwing stones?

Cheers

Rob

@derek

Hi Mel,

Commbank are running an investors night in WA in conjunctin with Andrew Winter and the Sunday Times. Not sure if there are plans to do the same in other states – but might be worth a look. 

In terms of seminars. I would try and work out what basic strategy you want to employ before attending any seminar. You can do this through books and chatting online on this forum.

Many seminars do 'encourage' you to follow a certain investment philosophy and you may find yourself being swayed all over the place and become very confused. After all there a seminar presenters who do capital growth, there are those who do cashflow, vendor finance, developments, flipping, options and so on.

If you do end up doing the rounds make sure you leave your credit card at home, promise not to do anything for a week and glean as much as you can from each.

Hope this helps.

@derek

I am sure the good folks at SS would be able to provide some advice for Mel.

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

VirtualIT, wow what is your problem?  Richard has been a member for a loooong time.  Spends his spare time guiding people out of their ever-present spots of bother here on the forums.  The man is very knowledgeable, always delivers beyond expectation and has done extremely well for himself.  Abbreviating words is what many choose to do in the brave new world of forums and lots of typing on iPhones and iPads and such. 

Might be polite to check the street cred of someone before you attack…

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

@mjm2

Thanks everyone!  I appreciate the conversation.  ( :  Will follow up with those suggested above.

Cheers

Profile photo of jmsracheljmsrachel
    Participant
    @jmsrachel

I don’t no why people are so unkind

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.