All Topics / Forum Frolic / * When did you last move house ? *

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • Profile photo of DubstepDubstep
    Participant
    @dubstep

Hi Forum Friends,

Mrs Dubs and I have been in Mackay for the last 2 years and the work we moved up for is coming to a close.

We are now mid stream with packing up before we go on holiday to the States, and will move back to Brisbane on our return.

This will be our fourth move in the 9 years together, and we seem to cull more stuff each time.

When did you last move house and how much stuff do you have ?

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Last move was to our latest PPOR four months ago. 

We had less "stuff" to move with this time around because I hate clutter! There was a massive culling exercise that took place before the move :-)

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

I think we managed to get almost everything into a 4 or 5 tonne truck.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of DWolfeDWolfe
    Participant
    @dwolfe

Hey Dubs and Jamie,

This made me grin!

We moved just over a year ago to a PPOR (finally!). We have moved pretty much every year for the last 10 years. I've lived in about 17ish (lost count) houses over my life in 3 different states. The move from WA back to VIC was the most interesting as everything got loaded into a shipping container and it the car went on a train over.

Now with the kids, its gotten harder, but I'm sure we'll move again….gypsies maybe?

The packing is such a pain, but I love chucking stuff out! We've had a couple skips at this house (reno stuff) and have had sort of a mini cull like with moving. You just get 'stuff' don't ya?!

Good luck with the packing, the move, the holiday!! Send us some Epostcards!

Cheers

d

DWolfe | www.homestagers.com.au
    http://www.homestagers.com.au
    Email Me

Participant
    @dwolfe

Hey Dubs and Jamie,

This made me grin!

We moved just over a year ago to a PPOR (finally!). We have moved pretty much every year for the last 10 years. I've lived in about 17ish (lost count) houses over my life in 3 different states. The move from WA back to VIC was the most interesting as everything got loaded into a shipping container and it the car went on a train over.

Now with the kids, its gotten harder, but I'm sure we'll move again….gypsies maybe?

The packing is such a pain, but I love chucking stuff out! We've had a couple skips at this house (reno stuff) and have had sort of a mini cull like with moving. You just get 'stuff' don't ya?! We had 2 truck loads last time

Good luck with the packing, the move, the holiday!! Send us some Epostcards!

Cheers

D

Email Me

Profile photo of kong71286kong71286
    Participant
    @kong71286

surprise Why did you move around so much?

Isn't it very time consuming and costly to move homes so many times?

Profile photo of Dan42Dan42
    @dan42

We last moved 15 months ago, to the 'forever' house. Or maybe the 'forever until we retire and move to the beach' house.

I'm ashamed to say we still have books and other bits and pieces in boxes!

Profile photo of CatalystCatalyst
    Participant
    @catalyst

19 years ago!!!  Just had a MASSIVE garage sale and clean up (that was after making the kids take their stuff). Another council cleanup organised for next week. It just goes on and ion and on. 

It feels great though to get rid of useless stuff. I just looked at things and asked "do i want to pack this in a box to take with me then unpack at the other end?" That made it easier. I found stuff in the back of cupboards that I forgot I owned. Found some nice gifts I had purchased to give to people for previous Christmases so some of my Christmas shopping is done at least. LOL

When my mother in law dies we didn't have to buy soap, cleaning products, shampoo or conditioner for over a year. She had 65 cakes of soap in a globite suitcase in her linen press.

Profile photo of jmsracheljmsrachel
    Participant
    @jmsrachel

I moved last year to my new house which is next door to my old house. Hard move that was, just walked every thing over!

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

This morning, the +1 didn't like where the house sat on the block so I moved it 3" to the left ;)

Profile photo of DubstepDubstep
    Participant
    @dubstep

Thanks for the interesting responses, its good to know others like to chuck out stuff  !

http://somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82475

Profile photo of lbluedentolbluedento
    Participant
    @lbluedento

We moved 8 times in 10 years due to my husband's job and the best part was culling unnecessary things from our life. Two moves involved only taking what we could fit into 2 suitcases and starting from scratch again. I found it fairly freeing because you realise all the 'things' in life. Aren't really that important. Our last move was 2.5 years ago, we did that one with 2 children and so it was harder than the preceding moves.  Hope to move into a PPOR this year although don't likemy luck as I did too good a job of convincing my husband that we didn't want non deductible debt!

Ruth

Profile photo of N@thanN@than
    Participant
    @n-than

Just remind him although non deductible debt any profit made is CGT free!! Would be nice if you made a nice profit on your house from reno's, extensions or just market growth and got to keep every cent of it!

Participant
    @dwolfe

Yup,

and we are moving again in Jan. Sigh.

D

Email Me

Profile photo of JpcashflowJpcashflow
    Participant
    @jpcashflow

I oonly moved out into my first home three years ago , where very comfortable we love where we live , it's a 60 year old home with allot of character, we have almost ppaint off so no rush in moving 

Jpcashflow | JP Financial Group
    http://www.jpfinancialgroup.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Your first port of call in finance :)

Profile photo of CatalystCatalyst
    Participant
    @catalyst

We moved a few weeks ago. Thank goodness we had the massive garage sale and clean up.

We had to have another council cleanup before we left AND hubby was still taking stuff to the tip the day of settlement.

Now as I unpack boxes I still find I have too much stuff. So I have 2 big boxes and as I unpack I put stuff I don't really need in them. Off to Vinnies.

Profile photo of StormyStormy
    @stormy

I have moved way to many times to remember exactly. I lost count at about 22 or 23. I think the longest I have stayed in one place was 4 years. I must be fairly nomadic by nature. I was paying off a PPOR (hence a stay of 4 years) on the Central Coast of New South Wales but sold that because the commute to Sydney for work was taking its toll.

After renting a room in a number of different houses through the years in Sydney, Townsville and Cairns I have decided to bite the bullet again on a PPOR. I will start moving stuff into the property tomorrow, start doing renos, and in a couple of years will turn the property into an IP and relocate to Cairns. This will be a final move for me. <moderator: delete language>

The biggest thing I am looking forward to doing is culling a lot of my stuff which has been like a noose around my neck. Every time I have moved the stuff goes into storage and i seemed to gather more stuff. Its been a heck of a waste of time and money and I have finally woken up to myself.

Profile photo of BennyteeBennytee
    Participant
    @ten_burner

I moved a few months ago I am a minimalist, I can't stand clutter if it hasn't been used recently it goes in the bin lol.

Profile photo of callmelescallmeles
    Participant
    @callmeles

Moved six years ago.

Chucked nothing out.

Maybe that's why I have never been able to park my car in my spot of the double garage.

Half my stuff is also distributed in the garages and garden sheds of my brother & parents.

In addition, I have a heap of stuff in a garage at a renovation I'm working on which I move from reno to reno.

You just never know when you are gonna need that that stuff.

Trouble is, I'm having trouble remembering where certain item's are stored given I currently have four depots.

I keep on telling Nicky (wife) that one day we'll have a mega garage sale that'll dwarf anything going.

But one day isn't here yet.

LES

Profile photo of olivia18olivia18
    @olivia18

hi

I'm also agree with kong words.thinking what that make you movearound so much?

Isn't it very time consuming and costly to move homes so many times?blush

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.