All Topics / Finance / Use of equity in PPOR to place a deposit for IP

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 17 posts - 21 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Profile photo of DEVILZDEVILZ
    Participant
    @devilz

what if you redraw money from your PPOR to offset account and realise you made mistake and put them back in couple of weeks ??

still 100% tax deductible?

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw
    DEVILZ wrote:
    what if you redraw money from your PPOR to offset account and realise you made mistake and put them back in couple of weeks ??

No.

It is similar to urinating into a bottle of milk and realising your mistake and withdrawing the urine.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m
    Terryw wrote:
    DEVILZ wrote:

No.

It is similar to urinating into a bottle of milk and realising your mistake and withdrawing the urine.

lol – that deserves a click on the little thumbs up icon.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Participant
    @terryw
    Jamie M wrote:
    Terryw wrote:
    DEVILZ wrote:

No.

lol – that deserves a click on the little thumbs up icon.

Cheers

Jamie

Some people don't get the concept. They think it only a small mistake – which it is. But it has far reaching consequences.

So using the urine example usually gets the concept across. If they still think it is ok, I ask them if they would drink the milk after the urine has been removed.

Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of kat13kat13
    Participant
    @kat13

Too funny, but so gross thinking about it

Profile photo of DEVILZDEVILZ
    Participant
    @devilz

thanks Terry I got concept now :)

Unfortunately so many people do this mistake – it;s not funny! Even accountants can't get it right !

I asked my accountant can I put money back and this is her reply : "Yes, that will be okay. No problem with apportionment if it was only a couple of weeks."

Any comments?

Participant
    @terryw

Accountants often get it wrong.

But will the ATO be that strict? Maybe they will accept it was a mistake and consider it never happened.

Email Me

Profile photo of DaveSDaveS
    @daves

Hey Guys

Have just done a quick search and came across this thread and as I am just about to use some of my equity in my PPOR to buy an IP I thought I'd better ask to make sure I get it right first time.  Here's a little information about my situation – I owe 340k on my PPOR which is worth about 520k.  This mortgage has a 100% offset account and a redraw facility too.  I am looking to spend about 310k on the IP and I would like to put 20% deposit down to avoid LMI so I need to borrow about 62k plus expenses.  I have found a couple of properties I am looking at putting offers on.  After reading this thread I now know not to put the new funds in the offset so my question is should I borrow the 62k plus expenses and "park" it in my existing loan on top of the 340k and then use the redraw facility to get access to it when I need it or is there somewhere else the 62k plus expenses should be "parked". 

Thanks

David

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Hi David

I am sure you have your reasons for wanting to keep the lvr under 80% (must admit most of my client's try and maximise their available equity by taking the lvr to say 89.9% on the IP and reduce the exposure on their PPOR).

Anyway my suggestion would be to set up a sub loan against your PPOR and on drawdown have the funds paid back into the sub loan available for redraw when you require them.

Then obtain pre-approval from a separate lender for the IP.

When the time comes that you need to draw out the deposit draw it from the investment sub loan and have it paid directly to the Solicitors Trust A/c / Selling agent.

Interest will be charged only on the funds drawn.

On Settlement of the IP you will then be charged interest on the IP loan secured against the IP as well. 

Reason we always try and set up a subloan for 80% of the PPOR valuation is that you can use the funds for multiple properties.

When the IP's increase in value we look to drawn back upto 90% of the increased value and use the additional funds to pay down the sub loan secured against the PPOR.

These funds can then be reused for the next property.

We use a couple of strategies used to pay down your PPOR debt as quickly as possible in order to create maximum equity for further investment but this is for a separate post.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of TheFinanceShopTheFinanceShop
    Participant
    @thefinanceshop

It really depends on your future strategy – i.e. how long before you want to again purchase another property? Do you have an aggressive IP purchase strategy? The answer to this question will dictate how much equity you should use.

If your property is worth $520k (btw its worthwhile doing an upfront valuation to determine the value so that your numbers are correct) then at 80% LVR you will have $76k in equity. @ 90% LVR you will have $120k (I have already deducted the approx LMI premium from this) in equity.

If you are purchasing an IP for $310k (depending on the State of course) – you will require $73k (plus another $2k for building and pest inspection and legal fees) in deposit if you want to stay under 80%. However you will only require $41k if you go up to a 90% LVR. The benefit of going to 90% is that you have available equity to purchase further properties if that in fact is the plan. Also the LMI premium that you pay will be tax deductible for the first 5 years.

The above situation is extremely common whereby a separate account is set up against the PPOR for the newly borrowing funds and it has its own offset so you will be charged interest when you begin to use the funds (ie. when you have purchased and settled on the new IP). 

Just make sure your lender doesn't have any restrictions when it comes to offsets, e.g. ING allows a max of 2 offset per client which is quite inflexible when you have multiple properties and multiple splits. 

TheFinanceShop | Elite Property Finance
    http://www.elitepropertyfinance.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Residential and Commercial Brokerage

Participant
    @terryw
    DaveS wrote:
    Hey Guys

Have just done a quick search and came across this thread and as I am just about to use some of my equity in my PPOR to buy an IP I thought I'd better ask to make sure I get it right first time.  Here's a little information about my situation – I owe 340k on my PPOR which is worth about 520k.  This mortgage has a 100% offset account and a redraw facility too.  I am looking to spend about 310k on the IP and I would like to put 20% deposit down to avoid LMI so I need to borrow about 62k plus expenses.  I have found a couple of properties I am looking at putting offers on.  After reading this thread I now know not to put the new funds in the offset so my question is should I borrow the 62k plus expenses and "park" it in my existing loan on top of the 340k and then use the redraw facility to get access to it when I need it or is there somewhere else the 62k plus expenses should be "parked". 

Thanks

David

if u do as described your loan wont be deductible and furthermore you will end up with a mixed purposes loan which will affect future deductibility of your other loans possibly.

Email Me

Profile photo of DaveSDaveS
    @daves

Hey Guys

Thanks for all the responses, I think I understand a bit better now.  I need a completely separate account from my current loan and offset?  Richard – my main reason for using a 20% deposit was to avoid LMI as I thought this is what I should be trying to achieve.  However your suggestion to use 89.9 % LVR to minimise exposure on my PPOR does make allot of sense.  I guess it would also increase the amount of deductible interest as interest on my PPOR is not deductible but it is on an IP? TheFinanceShop – I ideally would like to buy this property, then another in the next six months.  I would like to at least neutrally if not positively gear them to try and avoid using any of my savings to hold these properties.  Then as they increase in value use the new equity to buy more properties.

Thanks again

David

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Hi Dave

Maximising the interest deductible on your IP and minimising the interest deduction on your PPOR is exactly what you want to achieve. You also want to try and use equity rather than your own savings and look to revalue in order to access further equity.

There are a few other strategies i recommend in order to accelerate your equity position.

Why don't you join the Property Know How Club and subscribe to our free newsletters as i am sure you will find many other areas of interest.

Also see if you can come along to one of the Club meetings.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of s0805s0805
    Participant
    @s0805
    Terryw wrote:
    jmsrachel wrote:
    kat13 wrote:
    We pulled out the equity on our house – 90K which got paid into cash into our offset account until we were ready to get something…but we are also using 30K for personal improvements which is maybe why it was done that way????

We are currently waiting on preapproval for the rest (not sure how much we can get – but broker indicated up to 400K all up).  

What should we be doing?  What sort of account do I need to stash it in?

Can I be a pain and ask where should Kat put the money once the equity is pulled out as cash. Now that I have learnt not to put it in the offset, where do you park it? Or do you wait till you've signed contracts then organise to pull it out?

You have to be careful to pay the money straight from the loan to the investment without passing through any savings account. So best method is to use a LOC or increase the loan without taking the money and then use a bank cheque to pay the deposit etc.

Hi Terry,

I had identical situation and had just settled on my first IP. I need your opinion to understand if I've done this right or not. Bank allowed me to borrow $90K as equity of my PPOR as separate loan, when I was settling on $90K loan I advised bank to open new offset account and link it to $90K and put all money into the newly created offset (which they did), same day I wrote a cheque for 10% deposit of IP and given to RE agency's trust account.  Have I done the right thing here?

Later on, I used rest of the money from this newly created offset on final settlement. Even after the final settlement this account still has 8K. I do not want to keep newly created offset as it is costing me admin fee. I had chat to my Account and he advised that i can park this 8K in to Offset linked to PPOR and when it come TAX time, he can proportionate the 8K amount (which has not used for investment purposes). Do you think it is right thing to do? Is there any better way this situation can be handled

thanks

S0805

Participant
    @terryw
    s0805 wrote:
    Terryw wrote:
    jmsrachel wrote:
    kat13 wrote:
    We pulled out the equity on our house – 90K which got paid into cash into our offset account until we were ready to get something…but we are also using 30K for personal improvements which is maybe why it was done that way????

We are currently waiting on preapproval for the rest (not sure how much we can get – but broker indicated up to 400K all up).  

What should we be doing?  What sort of account do I need to stash it in?

Can I be a pain and ask where should Kat put the money once the equity is pulled out as cash. Now that I have learnt not to put it in the offset, where do you park it? Or do you wait till you've signed contracts then organise to pull it out?

You have to be careful to pay the money straight from the loan to the investment without passing through any savings account. So best method is to use a LOC or increase the loan without taking the money and then use a bank cheque to pay the deposit etc.

Hi Terry,

I had identical situation and had just settled on my first IP. I need your opinion to understand if I've done this right or not. Bank allowed me to borrow $90K as equity of my PPOR as separate loan, when I was settling on $90K loan I advised bank to open new offset account and link it to $90K and put all money into the newly created offset (which they did), same day I wrote a cheque for 10% deposit of IP and given to RE agency's trust account.  Have I done the right thing here?

Later on, I used rest of the money from this newly created offset on final settlement. Even after the final settlement this account still has 8K. I do not want to keep newly created offset as it is costing me admin fee. I had chat to my Account and he advised that i can park this 8K in to Offset linked to PPOR and when it come TAX time, he can proportionate the 8K amount (which has not used for investment purposes). Do you think it is right thing to do? Is there any better way this situation can be handled

thanks

S0805

Strictly speaking what you have done has created a mess. Interest wouldn’t be deductible because
    you borrowed money and placed in a savings account.

However ato may not be so strict and may allow the dectiin if you can clearly trace the funds.

Mixing borrowed money with not borrowed will result in even more mess. It will cause the original loan to be a mixed purpose loan and any subsequent repayments must come off each portion.

Bit of a mess. But interest on $8k will be minimal.

Email Me

Profile photo of s0805s0805
    Participant
    @s0805
    Terryw wrote:
    s0805 wrote:

Hi Terry,

I had identical situation and had just settled on my first IP. I need your opinion to understand if I've done this right or not. Bank allowed me to borrow $90K as equity of my PPOR as separate loan, when I was settling on $90K loan I advised bank to open new offset account and link it to $90K and put all money into the newly created offset (which they did), same day I wrote a cheque for 10% deposit of IP and given to RE agency's trust account.  Have I done the right thing here?

Later on, I used rest of the money from this newly created offset on final settlement. Even after the final settlement this account still has 8K. I do not want to keep newly created offset as it is costing me admin fee. I had chat to my Account and he advised that i can park this 8K in to Offset linked to PPOR and when it come TAX time, he can proportionate the 8K amount (which has not used for investment purposes). Do you think it is right thing to do? Is there any better way this situation can be handled

thanks

S0805

Strictly speaking what you have done has created a mess. Interest wouldn't be deductible because you borrowed money and placed in a savings account. However ato may not be so strict and may allow the dectiin if you can clearly trace the funds. Mixing borrowed money with not borrowed will result in even more mess. It will cause the original loan to be a mixed purpose loan and any subsequent repayments must come off each portion. Bit of a mess. But interest on $8k will be minimal.

Hi Terry,

Thanks for your reply. Just to be clear, I haven't yet mixed my 8K with my home loan offset.

You've said

Strictly speaking what you have done has created a mess. Interest wouldn't be deductible because you borrowed money and placed in a savings account. However ato may not be so strict and may allow the dectiin if you can clearly trace the funds.

I quite don't understand this, I understand that I borrowed money and place it savings account(offset), but this was brand new offset account created on the same day when 90K was drawn and only linked to this 90K loan, ,on the same day 32K was given to agent and it had 90K-32K sitting in it for 40 days. On 41st day I used the rest of the money from this offset for my final settlement and at the end of that till now it has 8K sitting in it offsetting my 90K initially drawn. These are the only transactions (both transaction for investment purposes) happened on these offset account.  is this still incorrect method?

Mixing borrowed money with not borrowed will result in even more mess. It will cause the original loan to be a mixed purpose loan and any subsequent repayments must come off each portion.

I Agree on this 100%. The 8K left on my newly created offset account which is offsetting my 90K loan is my problem now, not really sure where to park this money (as i want to close my offset account) . My Accountant has suggested that we take this 8K and put in my Home Offset and in tax time we'll proportionate (deducting) interest on 8K before filing return.  The only way i see out of this is to leave the offset with 8K open unless you think proportionating 8K interest every year should not be an issue from ATO point of view. I am going to use this 8K in future only & only for investment purposes if the need arises otherwise it will be sitting there for good.

Apologies if my questions are repetitive, i need to advise my account which way i should progress and i want to get my head around this.

thanks

S0805

Participant
    @terryw
    s0805 wrote:
    Terryw wrote:
    s0805 wrote:

Hi Terry,

I had identical situation and had just settled on my first IP. I need your opinion to understand if I've done this right or not. Bank allowed me to borrow $90K as equity of my PPOR as separate loan, when I was settling on $90K loan I advised bank to open new offset account and link it to $90K and put all money into the newly created offset (which they did), same day I wrote a cheque for 10% deposit of IP and given to RE agency's trust account.  Have I done the right thing here?

Later on, I used rest of the money from this newly created offset on final settlement. Even after the final settlement this account still has 8K. I do not want to keep newly created offset as it is costing me admin fee. I had chat to my Account and he advised that i can park this 8K in to Offset linked to PPOR and when it come TAX time, he can proportionate the 8K amount (which has not used for investment purposes). Do you think it is right thing to do? Is there any better way this situation can be handled

thanks

S0805

Strictly speaking what you have done has created a mess. Interest wouldn't be deductible because you borrowed money and placed in a savings account. However ato may not be so strict and may allow the dectiin if you can clearly trace the funds. Mixing borrowed money with not borrowed will result in even more mess. It will cause the original loan to be a mixed purpose loan and any subsequent repayments must come off each portion. Bit of a mess. But interest on $8k will be minimal.

Hi Terry,

Thanks for your reply. Just to be clear, I haven't yet mixed my 8K with my home loan offset.

You've said

Strictly speaking what you have done has created a mess. Interest wouldn't be deductible because you borrowed money and placed in a savings account. However ato may not be so strict and may allow the dectiin if you can clearly trace the funds.

I quite don't understand this, I understand that I borrowed money and place it savings account(offset), but this was brand new offset account created on the same day when 90K was drawn and only linked to this 90K loan, ,on the same day 32K was given to agent and it had 90K-32K sitting in it for 40 days. On 41st day I used the rest of the money from this offset for my final settlement and at the end of that till now it has 8K sitting in it offsetting my 90K initially drawn. These are the only transactions (both transaction for investment purposes) happened on these offset account.  is this still incorrect method?

I Agree on this 100%. The 8K left on my newly created offset account which is offsetting my 90K loan is my problem now, not really sure where to park this money (as i want to close my offset account) . My Accountant has suggested that we take this 8K and put in my Home Offset and in tax time we'll proportionate (deducting) interest on 8K before filing return.  The only way i see out of this is to leave the offset with 8K open unless you think proportionating 8K interest every year should not be an issue from ATO point of view. I am going to use this 8K in future only & only for investment purposes if the need arises otherwise it will be sitting there for good.

Apologies if my questions are repetitive, i need to advise my account which way i should progress and i want to get my head around this.

thanks

S0805

Hi s

This is what you pay your accountant for-advice.

Whar you did was borrowe money and place it in savings account. Once there it is no longer borriwings.

The $8k could be redeposited into the loan.

Email Me

Viewing 17 posts - 21 through 37 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.