All Topics / Heads Up! / Carbon Monoxide

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Profile photo of DWolfeDWolfe
    Participant
    @dwolfe

Hi Guys,

We all know the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning etc.

I had a phone call today from my rental manager who informed me that a gas heater in my property was emitting dangerously high levels and had to be capped off. (I did have this heater checked last year).

I now will be replacing the heater (boo $2200), but I just wanted to put it out there that it is a timely reminder for property investors to make sure any gas heaters are in good working condition. It probably wont be long before regulations come into place to ensure that heaters are regularly checked.

Seems like our tenant wanted the heater left working! No chance!

Cheers

D

DWolfe | www.homestagers.com.au
    http://www.homestagers.com.au
    Email Me

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

I was going to comment that it is now spring and they won't need it until next year but after today's weather with snow in the Blue Mountains, Northern Tablelands, Southern Highlands and around Goulburn they might be within their rights to expect it to be working.

Profile photo of DWolfeDWolfe
    Participant
    @dwolfe

Brrrr, snow! I lived in Goulburn as a kid and brrrrrrrrrrr!

It's in Colac, Vic, they grow spuds and cows there, and it is very cold and wet. When I did the reno there last winter, I pretty much thought I would leave with less toes and fingers! I'm getting the heating done asap, I'd rather they didn't freeze!

D

Email Me

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

They'll be down to ten fingers and toes in next to no time wink

Profile photo of DubstepDubstep
    Participant
    @dubstep

They might not be as good on the Banjo with less fingers !

Profile photo of Gazza21Gazza21
    Participant
    @gazza21

Don’t know if they sell them here yet but in the UK you can get carbon monoxide alarms that look identical to smoke alarms. Well worth the money..

Profile photo of kat13kat13
    Participant
    @kat13

There will be a crack down in rental properties over the next decade or so, I am studying to become an environmental health officer and we are researching this currently.

If you take a look at food premises regulations, guarantee some of those items will be similar to future implementations, ie  leaking gas appliances, ventilation of property, stoves having to be attached to wall etc…if you have an older property might also be worth installing a tempering valve for water as this is currently regulated in new buildings.

Profile photo of DWolfeDWolfe
    Participant
    @dwolfe

Thanks everyone,

(and yes I did have a laugh at some of the comments!)

Kat13 this was pretty much why I posted this, I can't imagine that governing bodies will allow something to continue that may cost lives. Better to get it checked every year as a landlord and to be in control.

Cheers

D

Email Me

Profile photo of davemorisdavemoris
    @davemoris

I have heard of that one like a month ago but I'm not sure if it trusted or worth it as I do not know how it works actually.

Profile photo of jasonbentlyjasonbently
    @jasonbently

That's a great reminder. Gas heaters should be checked regularly.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.