All Topics / General Property / Need assistance with box (concealed) gutters

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of JomattyJomatty
    Participant
    @jomatty

I have an IP in Melton Vic and half of the fascia and gutters require replacing. I'm planning on replacing the entire gutters/facia.

While I have the guttering solved, its the fascia's where I have my question.  I have struggled to get carpenters to quote. One quote I have been given is $14,000 to replace 58 meters of fascia and eaves on a single story property.  This I feel is excessive but I do not know if this is a fair price or not given lack of enthusiasm to get quotes.

This is why I am posting the question here to identify those who have had experiences in replacing box gutters and can give me some context and if anyone knows a carpenter around the Melton area that would quote/replace this for me.

Cheers.

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

I have not replaced box gutters, but I know that regular colourbond gutters would cost around $1500 to replace all the gutters and downpipes on a 3br house.  $14k seems beyond ridiculous to me.  I would absolutely getting at least 3 quotes for something with that kind of pricetag.

If it is a genuine price, I wonder if it is because scaffolding is needed due to the weight of the wood??

Either way… 3 quotes!!!!  I would have thought the quote would look more like this:

Eaves $1500

Fascia $1500

Painting of fascia $1500

Total $4500

Have you asked your quotesperson to provide a breakdown to help you understand where the $14k goes?

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of JomattyJomatty
    Participant
    @jomatty

for gutter replacement i have 2 quotes at $2500 and one at $2800 this is due to extra work with moving up the first row of tiles to enable gutter replacement and capping removal and re-fit on the fascia's etc which i acknowledge and do not dispute.

With the chippie quote i am still waiting on the break down to be sent. Was told verbally materials are expensive and the job will take a week to complete. At bunnings i quoted $1000 for buying fascia and eaves with fascia pre-primed. This leaves me wondering that it will cost $13000 for a weeks labour, Once again, seems very pricey to me.

Profile photo of jmsracheljmsrachel
    Participant
    @jmsrachel

Hi coach, shouldn’t cost you more then $5k. Get quotes from handymen not carpenters. Carpenters don’t like mucking around with fiddly jobs. I can pm you a recommendation if you like.

Profile photo of jmsracheljmsrachel
    Participant
    @jmsrachel

Ooopps! Sorry I just read there concealed gutters. More expensive again. Very fiddly and no one wants to touch them as there too time consuming. Still, 14k might be a little steep.

Profile photo of ZanshibuiZanshibui
    Participant
    @zanshibui

Hi Coach,

Sounds like you're going to have trouble getting the job done cheaply. The indicator is how many people are willing to quote. Usually when there's plenty of work on, tradies won't quote jobs they don't want to do and will just focus on the easy jobs. For those that can be bothered quoting even though they don't want to do it, the quote will always have a "crappy job buffer" built in to make it worthwhile…it's common practice.

Search around for a tradie that needs the work and you'll get a quote at a much better price. I just did a search online and there are a couple of tradie registers that might be helpful or if you can find a larger company that needs to constantly chase work to keep the boys paid…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.