All Topics / Help Needed! / Tenant wants to install fans

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of AlexiaAlexia
    Participant
    @alexia

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone could help with my below enquiry:

I have a tenant which will move into my rental property next month. They have put in a request to the rental agent for ceiling fans to be installed at there own cost. 

Now what happens when the tenant decides to move out – can they take the ceiling fans with them? Or does it become apart of the fixture and fittings?

Not sure whether or not to give the go ahead to the tenant or to have something in writing? Just confused about the outcome for when a tenant pays at there own cost to have things installed on your property.

Your advice would be much appreciated

Thanks

Alexia

Profile photo of DWolfeDWolfe
    Participant
    @dwolfe

Hi Alexia,

I'm sure one of the legal eagles here can give you their thoughts.

My suggestion would be to get everything in writing, including copies of the invoices for the actual fan and the installation. It must be installed by a licensed electrician so get the invoice so you are covered. IF you get a copy of the docket for the fan as well if there warranty issues you can get it repaired/replaced etc.

Get the tenant/s to agree in writing to payment for the fan, installation of the fan, and the fact that the fan will from that point (after installation) become your property. You could always offer to pay for the fan, in exchange for a rent increase………

Let us know how you go.

Cheers

D

DWolfe | www.homestagers.com.au
    http://www.homestagers.com.au
    Email Me

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

As Wolfie mentioned just get the offer in writing and have it state that you want to inspect what they are installing, confirm that you are happy with the electrician installing it and also that when they leave the fans remain the property of the landlord.

Now whether you can claim Depreciation on them is another question !!!!

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

Personally, I would instead propose that the landlord pays for the fan, and the rent goes up.  That way you can claim depreciation, and the extra income the rental increase shows gives you more serviceability for putting towards your next I.P. loan smiley

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of AlexiaAlexia
    Participant
    @alexia

Thanks guys for all your advice.

I will take all on board and let you know the outcome.

Thanks again

Alexia

Profile photo of mattstamattsta
    Participant
    @mattsta

I see two options here: to get everything in writing and notarized for the best protection or just install fans yourself and increase rent. I would probably go with the second option, though. 

Profile photo of astroboy71astroboy71
    Participant
    @astroboy71

I would go with JacM's advice about doing it yourself and bumping up the rent & claiming depreciation.

I was considering it the other day in fact. An electrician told me to go with the dual light/fan combo with a remote control…the remote control means they would not need to install an extra earth wire, therefore install costs are substantially cheaper, and the fans don't really cost that much more for this option.

The tenant gets the added advantage of being able to turn the fan on/off from bed. Just ensure the remote holding bracket is fixed to the wall so there's a place for it rather than just getting lost.

For this he quoted $60 for the install plus $20 if a wood beam had to be installed for support. So at most $80 per fan (Western Sydney)

astroboy71
    Email Me

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

Be sure that the remote is itemized in the inventory list, and is still there when the tenant leaves. For some reason, replacement remotes are quite pricey.

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.