All Topics / Finance / RBA lowers cash rate by 0.25%

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Profile photo of PLCPLC
    Participant
    @plc

RBA has just announced at its meeting today it had lowered the cash interest rate by 0.25%, effective 3rd October.

We will see how much lenders pass on.

Cheers

Tom

PLC | Phoenix Loan Consulting
    Email Me | Phone Me

Melbourne based Mortgage Broker | Making Finance Simple

Profile photo of DWolfeDWolfe
    Participant
    @dwolfe

Cheers Tom.

This is the pre-Christmas jump start for retail. Let's see what the banks do, if they don't drop it far enough the I think the RBA will drop it again in Nov.

Interesting times we live in.

Cheers

D

DWolfe | www.homestagers.com.au
    http://www.homestagers.com.au
    Email Me

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Must admit – I didn't see this one coming.

It's amazing how the banks have pre conditioned borrowers to expect less than the full cut these days…..

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of TheBishTheBish
    Participant
    @thebish

Its about time these up starts at the Reserve Bank got out of there ivory tower in Martin Place and realised the economy isn't doing so great and not to mention us property investors are struggling as well.

I'm hoping they keep dropping the interest rates so I can afford a Mercedes for the missus next year and not have to put up with her complaining about the performance of the BMW.

Over

TheBish  yes

Profile photo of jmsracheljmsrachel
    Participant
    @jmsrachel

I’ll put the champagne on hold for the moment…..

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Jamie i think you and most economists alike especially given the news that capital property prices have increased quite significantly.

I personally thought they would wait to see the results of the 3rd quarter GDP figures.

Not convinced they will go again Melbourne Cup day.

Bank of Qld starting the ball rolling with a 20bps cut this afternoon.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of Andrew_AAndrew_A
    Participant
    @andrew_a

The buyer enquiry has been strong the last two weeks, interesting to see how it all translates into market movements over the next 12-18 months with the variable rates dropping and rents on the improve.

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates
    Jamie M wrote:
    Must admit – I didn't see this one coming.

It's amazing how the banks have pre conditioned borrowers to expect less than the full cut these days…..

Cheers

Jamie

Personally, I’m not expecting much from the banks. After all, they don’t borrow from the Reserve their funds come from deposits & borrowing (locally or overseas) so what the Reserve does and the goose say have very little bearing on the outcome.

In saying that, I read some commentary this morning that we are in a 3 year downward cycle for interest rates and we should be expecting more cuts. The 3 year fixed rates are well below the standard mortgage rates on offer.

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

Hi Andrew, are you noticing more buyer enquiries in any particular market sector? (eg First home buyers, or sub $300k buyers, or buyers ramping up there investing plans…) 

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Be interesting to see who this all plays out over the next 6 months or so. Given we are apparently saving more than we have done for a long time I wonder how much of the rate reduction will flow through past the 'save' and 'pay down debt' and 'the banks not passing on full reduction' issues we currently have.

Probably not a good sign for the wider economy – especially with some 'economic experts' suggesting more rate reductions will be in the offing.

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Derek interestingly went to a HSBC economics briefing yesterday morning and their economist predicted "Definitely no rate reduction today" and probably 1 more in this cycle.

Also suggested fixed rates are very close to the bottom and could start to turn upwards shortly.

God these guys are useless yet paid a mottza for getting things wrong.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of DWolfeDWolfe
    Participant
    @dwolfe

Everytime the 'economists' make a prediction I just think of this quote “If all the economists in the world were laid end to end, they would still not reach a conclusion.” (George Bernard Shaw)

I say we get a pool going next month! Maybe get one of the dolphins at sea world to make a prediction next time. cheeky

Cheers

D

DWolfe | www.homestagers.com.au
    http://www.homestagers.com.au
    Email Me

Profile photo of PLCPLC
    Participant
    @plc

Economists predicting the share market are the worst. Never ever take what they say into account, they are hopeless.

Being an economist and meteorologist are the only jobs I know where you get paid a mint, can stuff things up regularly and have no backlash against you.

Cheers

Tom

PLC | Phoenix Loan Consulting
    Email Me | Phone Me

Melbourne based Mortgage Broker | Making Finance Simple

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

@richard.

Have seen another economist suggest we'll get a full 1% drop in rates over the next 12 months. Well we have had 0.25 so it will be interesting to see what transpires.

What is that joke – send two economists into a room with the same set of figures and you'll end up with three different opinions.

Profile photo of PaulliePaullie
    @paullie

And the prime minister office.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.