All Topics / Overseas Deals / Spanish Property

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)
  • Profile photo of bmhbmh
    Participant
    @bmh

Hi all,

I am about to take a holiday in South West France/North Spain, and while I'm there, I am very interested in seeing if its viable to purchase an investment property in Spain (as prices have substantially dropped there).

Has anyone had any experience investing there, and if so, could you recommend any websites for the initial research process ie house sales/economic data/price guides/etc for Spain?? Or any contacts that they would care to share?

I know its a long shot, but perhaps someone is out there that has already been through this.

Brodie

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Brodie

Try http://www.rightmove.co.uk and go to their overseas property section.

I use it for all my UK Purchases.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of FreckleFreckle
    Blocked
    @freckle

Personally think it's suicidal to take $AU and invest them in €EU denominated investments. Spain has a ways to travel before it sorts itself out. In the meantime I see the potential for civil war there again as Catalonia pushes for autonomy and the Basque separatist movement has for the time being quietened down but is by no means over. 

Europe's a slow moving train wreck and Spain is one of the lead carriages. 

Profile photo of DWolfeDWolfe
    Participant
    @dwolfe

Hi Brodie,

Firstly I'd say, if you are going to invest in property, don't do it when you are on holiday. The rose coloured glasses are on, the time frame is too short to really come to grips with the area, the systems etc. You'll want to be on holiday!

Also a price drop, doesn't always mean there are 'bargains'.

I almost hate to say this, but I did see a show (yeah I know tv not always best area for information) where British were buying up new builds in Spain and not being able to inhabit them as plans were not legally approved, buildings had not been built to code and bribery was rife.

Just a few things to take into consideration, check your reasons for why you want to buy in that particular area, and remember it's all about the numbers.

Cheers

D

DWolfe | www.homestagers.com.au
    http://www.homestagers.com.au
    Email Me

Profile photo of whathousewhathouse
    @whathouse

If you are just looking for a holiday home and a place you will personally use and enjoy then there are some great bargains in Europe. If you are investing for rental return or capital gains, think very carefully and do ALOT of research. 

Profile photo of Ziv Nakajima-MagenZiv Nakajima-Magen
    Participant
    @zmagen

Have a friend who's looking at Italy, Spain and France atm (shut up, freckle). Would be interesting to hear some feedback from someone who's purchased in any of those countries. From first glance, it seems France is the most regulated but also most heavily taxed and most complicated financially, Italy has a lot of red tape but generally the easiest to accomplish profitably of the three, and Spain comes with great big "buyer beware" signs, not only because of its current economic situation, but mainly because fraud and mishaps are rife.

can anyone confirm/contest/shed some light on these assumptions?

Ziv Nakajima-Magen | Nippon Tradings International (NTI)
    http://www.nippontradings.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Ziv Nakajima-Magen - Partner & Executive Manager, Asia-Pacific @ NTI - Japan Real-Estate Investment Property

Profile photo of FreckleFreckle
    Blocked
    @freckle
    zmagen wrote:
    . can anyone confirm/contest/shed some light on these assumptions?

I reckon you're bang on the money. I hear there's cheap property in Libya, Egypt and Syria at the moment.

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek
    DWolfe wrote:

Firstly I'd say, if you are going to invest in property, don't do it when you are on holiday. The rose coloured glasses are on, the time frame is too short to really come to grips with the area, the systems etc. You'll want to be on holiday!

Heed this comment on so many levels.

Not worth it.

Participant
    @zmagen

I know you meant this as a joke, but Lybia is actually very high on alot of radars at the moment. So are Spain and Italy. I know, they don't come with guarantees for regulated environments like Japan or Australia, they're scary foreigners, and they aren't deemed as safe as a term deposit in a big league bank or a bar of gold or platinum in the safe, but hey, it takes all sorts of crazy hipsters, don't it? ;)

Email Me | Phone Me

Ziv Nakajima-Magen - Partner & Executive Manager, Asia-Pacific @ NTI - Japan Real-Estate Investment Property

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

Always a daunting task investing in a country where you have no familiarity with the local customs – rental laws in every country differ and the rights of tenants are often almost superior to the rights of owners. Get familiar with the tenancy laws, learn the language, get top notch solicitors (and not just the recommendation from the agent – who is biased). All I can add is research, research, research. Then cross your fingers, throw some salt over your left shoulder, spin around clockwise twice……and pray.

Participant
    @zmagen

Daunting at first and requiring extensive research or connections, yes, but a gamble? I beg to differ- or at least not more of a gamble than your own back yard. There are many countries where the correct infrastructure setup will enable anyone to invest much more safely than in their countries of origin.

In Australia's case for instance, almost every property purchase, as regulated and "safe" as it seems, is a gamble, trying to beat neutral or close to neutral cashflow with appreciation speculation. There are far more reliable income generating, positively geared property investments available in other countries at the moment.

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

Yes but local investors have the advantage of the crown guaranteeing the land title, the advantage of one of the most stable political systems, safest banking systems, no risk of currency fluctuations, ability to research purchases online (through land titles office, RP Data, legal services providers…….

Not a gamble in my books – the risk that you expose yourself to are based on your own research and the level of risk that you are prepared to accept (cf+ or cf- is only part of the equation).

Profile photo of DWolfeDWolfe
    Participant
    @dwolfe

Scott, you are very right.

Sorry Ziv, an expert you are on other countries, not on Australia.

The risk in purchasing Australian property is very much lower. There is pretty much no chance of there ever being a civil war, currency as mentioned above is stable and the mentality behind the majority of property owners is one of stability.

While the cash flow returns are probably not as good as other countries, there are still excellent opportunities here. Grass isn' t always greener on the other side of the world. For someone to go to a country they may never have been to, try to negotiate and learn about property in what may be a 3 week holiday, have finance/cash at the ready and to purchase?! May not be the best option.

I also got the email on Libya, it was titled worst areas to buy property.

Once again, just my opinion. Emotion out, reason and rationality in. Holidays tend to be emotional times.

Cheers

D

DWolfe | www.homestagers.com.au
    http://www.homestagers.com.au
    Email Me

Profile photo of jbelmorejbelmore
    Participant
    @jbelmore

I have a cousin in Spain who is a real estate agent so when I visited them in 2010 I asked if there was any property worth investing in. I was told not worth the risk. You’d need to be very careful about risk to your rental income and do all the due diligence.

Participant
    @zmagen

No argument regarding Spain, definitely never advocated buying or even researching seriously on a 3-week holiday either. All I'm saying is that moderation in views and a balanced perspective is required. Australia is safe (legislation and social profile are at least), and probably reasonably well placed appreciation and asset protection wise as well.

However, reasonable long term cashflow, while being only one of many factors (albeit a crucial one, particularly in today's climate), is not the norm here, and requires extensive deal mining/creative renovations and builds to achieve.  Affordability is another major issue. And as far as regulated environments go, while Spain certainly isn't it, it isn't the only country in the world. Singapore, Hong Kong, Japan, the UK, Germany, France etc are only a few of the global property investment Meccas that have the same characteristics of safety and stability, with many other equal or often better factors to consider as well. Not many likely civil wars breaking out there either, and some of them offer far better deals than Australia has been in recent years. 

Italy as well, while I could be wildly wrong, is far too significant to too many lobbying international powers (the Catholic Church would be one that comes to mind almost immediately) to go completely underwater over the long term. Far more speculative than all of the mentioned above though, I do realize that. Lybia is the perfect frontier market for today's high risk venturists, and while I don't play or recommend anyone do that field, there are a great many who do so profitably. As long as you know what you're getting into and mitigate risk the best you can. It'll be much higher, but so will the yields. The USA isn't very far from that category atm, incidentally. It's certainly as easy to get stung there as it is in Italy, maybe easier, or so it would seem from what people have been posting on here in increasing frequency.

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of rentwithpetsrentwithpets
    @rentwithpets

I saw some advertisments recently soliciting foreigners to buy investment property in Spain.  It is very tempting as it seems like the government is offering EU residency/passport if you buy a property over 190,000 Euros, whether you plan to occupy the property yourself or for investment.  I am quite tempted as I love the laid back lifestyle and culture in Spain, especially near the Pyrenees. Also my partner lives in France, which is on the other side of the Pyrenees.  I'm aware of the high unemployment and the high crime, especially in the big cities like Madrid.  I'm considering going back there next summer to research more and get a feel for the property market, the agents, regulations, etc.  I speak enough Spanish to go shopping, buy a train ticket, etc but I get lost in most conversations.  Is anybody here familiar with this residency offer for foreign property investors?  Would it be good value for money, or is it a rip off?  Has anyone bought property there recently?  Any tips or caveats from somebody that owns property in Spain?  Or have contacts of trustworthy agents and lawyers that speak both English and Spanish?  Thank you!

Profile photo of findersnsellersfindersnsellers
    @findersnsellers

As someone who lived in Spain for 6 years until earlier this year (2012) and who is the Marketing director for an online property advertising company which seems to be attracting a lot of listings from foreign run real estate agents in Spain. My advice would be this.

Think very very carefully, there appears to be a lot of bargains on the market and it is true the prices have dropped considerably, however the price you see isn't the one you pay.  You must add 10% purchase tax to the price and be warned that 10% is calculated on what the banks valued the property at 6 years ago so you may get a bargain at 10,000 euros only to find you are required to pay 25,000 euros purchase tax.  Depending where the property is you may be required to pay a monthly community charge whether you are living in it or not, you will be required to pay tax on the property every year and at present Spanish IVA (vat) stands at 21% with tax at 26%.

If you wish to buy a development project be warned the red tape and license fees can be a nightmare and expensive, for example forget structural work, even if you want to change your kitchen you will be required to obtain permission from your local town hall and will need to pay for the privilege.

Many foreign buyers have found it impossible to cope with the red tape and meet repayments and many properties have been on the market for up to 4 years with some people just locking up and handing back the keys.

I personally have heard so many horror sorties over the last 5 years that I am glad I stuck to renting and kept my property in the UK.  That said yes the life style is a good one, so I would suggest before taking the plunge you take an extended break and rent in Spain for a minimum of a year before even considering buying.

Hope this doesn't put you off but does open your eyes a bit.

Cheers

Profile photo of BChislettBChislett
    Participant
    @bchislett

Hi Brodie,

When it comes to investment properties, it's always best to know exactly what you want to achieve out of the property first. Most people say they want to invest in property because they want to earn extra. That's the obvious answer, of course. But most people haven't thought over how to use the property to earn that extra income. Are you looking into a long term investment for capital gains? Or are you looking for positive cash flow from tenants, etc?

Know your intentions first – write them down and try to be as specific as possible. Also, what is your exit strategy in case the investment property doesn't work out?

Based on experience, you always need to plan ahead for an exit strategy so that if things don't work out as you'd hope, you won't be stuck with the property you bought and end up being paying for holding and maintenance costs.

I agree with DWolfe in the sense that you never invest on anything while having fun on a holiday. It's easy to lose your focus.

Just food for thought

Cheers!

Ben

Participant
    @zmagen

Ah, finally, the voice of localized experience and reason. Thanks for chiming in, Scott, it's a refreshing change from the "beware the evil European property market" voices so common here! Of course there are risks and particular issues to look out for, but which country doesn't have those? That's what DD is all about – making informed choices, as opposed to knee jerk reactions.

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of rentwithpetsrentwithpets
    @rentwithpets

Hi Scott,

Thank you very much for sharing your  experience and cautions about investing in Espana.  It is great to hear from someone semi "local" that has  first hand experience in the property market. 

Purchase tax is quite common in many countries including Australia,  interesting that it is calculated on a valuation 6 years ago rather than current valuations.  Do you have any idea how a Spanish bank would  value the property if we wanted to get a mortgage for the property?  Would that affect the purchase tax if the bank's current valuation is lower?

Are community charges for condominiums or free standing properties as well? 

Is VAT charged based on annual rent received, or total value of the property?  Very interesting if annual VAT is 21%…if you hold a property for 5 years that money would have bought you a second property!  How does the government plan to convince investors to come over and buy properties if the VAT is so high?  Could that be why the marketing campaign is aimed at Russia and China where people are unable to do due diligence due to language barriers?

Excellent suggestion to live in Spain for a long time first before committing to property :)

Merry Christmas!

Yen

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.