All Topics / Legal & Accounting / Accounting & Tax Structures – A Guide for Property Investors (DRAFT)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of Kohlhagen GroupKohlhagen Group
    @kohlhagen-group

Hi Everyone,

Quite a few "which entity structure should I use" questions on the forums lately.

Thought I would share a basic guide (in draft) that I use with some of my clients and a prompt for my own thought processes.

I am thinking about making this more public and would appreciate any feedback. Is it too complex? Is it missing something?

Would love a mortgage broker's opinion on what the lenders generally think about different entities.

Hopefully it is a useful starting point in deciding which entity to use to purchase an investment property.

A traffic light principle is used, so if a particular category is vital to your investment strategy (i.e. negative gearing or low setup costs) you would select an entity with a 'green light' in that category. There are some broad generalisations, however it is a starting point.

Let me know what you think

http://kohlhagengroup.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Structures-101-Property-Investors.pdf

Cheers

Richard

Profile photo of TheFinanceShopTheFinanceShop
    Participant
    @thefinanceshop

G'Day Richard,

Excellent doco. The setup costs of SMSF's are certainly costly but I wouldn't say that the ongoing costs are expensive.

When it comes to the entities – the 2 big ones are probably Hybrid Trusts and SMSF's. CBA have a terrible SMSF product whereas other lenders have quite good products. Re Hybrid Trusts – there are a lot of lenders that simply don't lend to Hybrid Trusts whereas again NAB will lend up to 95%.

What was the reasoning for having a 'Professional Image' row?

Regards

Shahin

TheFinanceShop | Elite Property Finance
    http://www.elitepropertyfinance.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Residential and Commercial Brokerage

Profile photo of Kohlhagen GroupKohlhagen Group
    @kohlhagen-group

Thanks for the feedback Shahin,

I've labeled SMSF has expensive, more so relative to the other entities. SMSF accounting and tax returns are often more complex and require an independent auditor by an approved auditor which all adds to year end accounting fees. Also I believe SMSF trustees are more likely to need ongoing advice to stay compliant with the SIS Act.

Thanks for the info re CBA & NAB, I'll likely try and add a "Bank Headache" category I think.

Professional image is often not a priority for investors. Professional image is more for business investors, who might be developing regularly or seeking a brand image down the track. Professional image can also factor in a tax office view of what operations are being carried on.

Thanks again

Richard

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Richard,

Maybe add something about the land tax as this varies from state to state. In NSW for example there is no tax free threshold for trusts at all – only some relieft if fixed unit trusts.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

@kohlhagen-group

Good point Terry.  Land tax line is currently for SA, think I will have to overhaul that line state by state.

Much appreciated.

Profile photo of ritchiemathesonritchiematheson
    Participant
    @ritchiematheson

Hi Richard,

I am very interested in your information;

unfortunately I get an error the document I am looking for does not exist.

has it been removed?

cheers

Ritchie

@kohlhagen-group

Hi Ritchie,

Thanks for your interest. I have taken the document down for now.

If you would like a copy please send me an email and I will forward you a copy.

Cheers

Richard

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.