All Topics / Help Needed! / Unforseen Disaster

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Profile photo of PEACHYPEACHY
    @peachy

Haha unfortunately the fishiest  thing in Mackay is turning out to be the plumbers.:(

Today the lovely plumber who has had the cheapest figures, been the most helpful and sounds like he knows the most told me he has had a falling out with his brother…the leak detection guy because he is stressed out having too muCh work on but not enough staff. Plumber still keen to fix but I don't want trial and error finding the leak. The plumbers who said $5-8k for rereouting now have quoted $8-10k with nothing itemized!

Really cross and upset!

This is a good lesson for anyone thinking about buying on a slab in a regional town :(

Profile photo of moxi10moxi10
    Participant
    @moxi10
    bardon wrote:
    the fishing is also deductible if it constitutes tax advice.

Bardon I wish I'd known that sooner. Now I'll have to get an amendment on last year's tax assessment.

Peachy what an ordeal your plumbing has become. One other suggestion which might help is for you to contact the Queensland branch of the Master Builders Association in Brisbane ( I couldn't find a listing for Mackay). If you tell them your story, they should be able to recommend a reputable builder in Mackay who could oversee the rectification of your problem, or even put you in direct contact tradespeople.

417 Wickham Terrace

Brisbane Queensland 4000

Phone: (07) 3225 6444

Fax: (07) 3225 6545

Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of PEACHYPEACHY
    @peachy

Mozilla I will call them this morning as *sigh* I need to get a fourth quote – good idea! 

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

Sounds almost like it'd be cheaper to chopper a plumber in from Brisbane!

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

@peachy

Thanks for the idea about calling the Master Builders. 

We have found a really great, licensed plumber, Dirk at Jayden Enterprises, who was referred by someone from the MBs.

He has been incredibly helpful and polite and was out at the property within three hours of calling. I have been waiting around two to three days for most of the other plumbers we had out there (with the exception of Matt Selby who was also great but couldn't do the rerouting as he works on his own).

Dirk drew up proposed plans and broke down the quote into cost per plumber and cost per apprentice as well as materials. All we received from others was *ballpark* figures and quotes that had a range without anything specified.

So to reroute all hot and cold taps, including moving the hot water system to a more accessible location and retiling/rebricking any damaged walls will now be a max of $6200. Dirk is also looking to reduce these costs where possible and has given this as a capped, worse case scenario. He is also going to look setting up the provisions for the pipe work in the laundry should we want to change this into a second bathroom down the track (when we have some money again and if it  will increase value).

Work starts on Monday and we are hoping everything will be smooth sailing from here on in. Thanks everyone so much for your help! x

Profile photo of N@thanN@than
    Participant
    @n-than

Good to hear it is all coming together for you!

Hope this doesn't turn you off property investing! in the future!

@peachy

Haha not a chance Nathan! I always said if we came across any hurdles, no matter how big, we would still dust ourselves off and try again.

Our original plumber sent us a quote the other night…from $20 000 down to $2,650! Too little, too late as we made our decision to go with the middle of the road quote that provided detailed and quick responses without being prompted.

Our plumber that we are going with (Dirk) also told us that we could apply to council to get a consideration on the water bill…turns out he was right.  Legend!

Profile photo of jmsracheljmsrachel
    Participant
    @jmsrachel
    PEACHY wrote:

Our original plumber sent us a quote the other night…from $20 000 down to $2,650! Too little, too late as we made our decision to go with the middle of the road quote that provided detailed and quick responses without being prompted.

I'd love to know how he was able to reduce the price by over $17000 just like that!

Profile photo of DubstepDubstep
    Participant
    @dubstep

Staff discount !

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.