All Topics / Help Needed! / Questions for my builder – extension

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of boney breamboney bream
    Participant
    @boney-bream

Hi Guys,  We are planning to build an extension to our PPOR (Basically a Granny flat, not free standing).  Is there a guide or checklist available to ask / inform prospective builders when they come to give a quote.  The previous owner of our house had the plans drawn up and the slab has already been laid. 

We just need to re submit the plans to council as they are a few years old and then get building.

Does someone have a building checklist to follow.

Thanks

Profile photo of boney breamboney bream
    Participant
    @boney-bream

Anyone?  I have never interviewed a builder before.

What do I need to ask?  Qualifications?  Insurance? Warranty for work?

How do builders expect to be paid?  Deposit, then routine payments?

Thanks if anyone can help us out

Profile photo of veseliveseli
    @veseli

First you need an Architect, then Engineer and then Approval from Council before you deal with the builder.

As the slab is already laid it is most likely that no engineer will sign off on it, and that you will have to demolish it and start again, or it might not comply with your DCP rules.

Once you have the approval then contact the builder to give you a price to complete, once you are happy with the quote and want to sign the contract then you ask for insurances, references, licence number and so on.

Contract will be prepared by a Builder and should include Schedule of Progress payments.

Good luck.

Participant
    @boney-bream

Thanks for the reply.  Sorry I should have been clearer.  There is proper plans which have been drawn and approved by council.  The previous owner started the job, and the slab has been laid.

This slab was done about 6 years ago.  The previous owners went through divorce, so the extension was stopped and they sold the house.

I assume the plans will need to be re submitted for approval, and there may be new legislation regarding energy efficiency we will have to embrace.

We need to get a fixed quote to borrow the money (our employer is going to subsidise the loan).  I was just after some tips to ensure we chose the best builder.

I live in Karratha, and there are a lot of transient building gangs up here trying to make a quick dollar.  Some appear to be quite dodgy.  I was looking for a list of criteria people use to select their builder.

thanks  :)

Profile photo of BricksandmortarBricksandmortar
    Participant
    @bricksandmortar

Master builders or hia should have a list of builders in your area. Best to go for a builder who will draft the plans for re-submission to council – you may or may not be able to use the slab but will in all likelihood need to have it assessed by an engineer – good reputable building company should organise this for you ( though they will charge you). See if you can find out who laid the original slab and if it was "signed off on" , also check your copyright for the plans…. You may need to have those released to you. 

Read the fine print on the building contracts and exclude as many pc costs as you can . Talk to builders referees yourself. 

Good lucksmiley

Participant
    @boney-bream

Thanks.  Sounds harder all the time…

Profile photo of Mick CMick C
    Participant
    @shape

http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/Tenants_and_home_owners/Home_building_and_renovating/Selecting_a_tradesperson_or_builder/Questions_to_ask.html

^ i normally get all my  construction/renovation clients to fill in the above

Mick C | Shape Home Loans
    http://www.shapehomeloans.com.au/
    Email Me | Phone Me

Same Banks. Better Rates. Served With a Passion.

Participant
    @boney-bream

Thanks, that was great!!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.