All Topics / Legal & Accounting / A Landlords Responsibility

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

The recent tragic accident in a rental property Yeppoon (here) is a timely reminder to all landlords of our responsibility to effect repairs in a professional manner. 

Having said that it would be interesting to see if the agency has any responsibility in this accident given, according to this report, the fault was reported to the agent on at least four different occasions,

Like the later paragraphs which imply landlords may have to certify their property is safe or at least get a professional building inspection done on a regular basis. 

Profile photo of ygue6072ygue6072
    Participant
    @ygue6072

I also wonder who is responsible in circumstances like this. I wonder if the PM didn't arrange proper repairs or if the landlord didn't authorise the repairs to be done properly?

Profile photo of jmsracheljmsrachel
    Participant
    @jmsrachel

You would think the carpenter would have some if not most of the blame. Should have fixed it properly. If the job seemed to difficult for what its worth he shouldn’t have touched it at all.

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Hi Joe,

You could be right. For me there are so many questions that arise from the article.

1. Did PM tell owner?

2. Was the rotten piece previously repaired?

3. Was this a new piece of rotten deck?

4. Was tradie qualified?

5. Was there a tradie?

6. Did owner want a cheap patch job knowing the deck was unsound?

And so on.

It will be interesting to see if there is further action on this. Based on the article it would appear as if 'someone' was negligent.

Profile photo of jmsracheljmsrachel
    Participant
    @jmsrachel

As a tradie, if someone wants a quick cheap fix i don’t bother. 6 months time someone gets hurt and they end up blaming you. Do it properly from the start or dont bother. At the end of the day someone lost there life to save a couple hundred

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

Wow.  I wonder if the tenants were aware of the issue with the rotten wood when they moved in…

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Seems as if the Qld Govt has indicated they will legislate to make sure events like this are prevented.

See the article here

Profile photo of insanoinsano
    Participant
    @insano

Tragic!!

I attended a property gathering last week and apparently there are a lot of changes coming soon to the tenancy act so we'll have to wait and see what the changes are.

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

Perhaps it will say "The tenant has the right to decide whether they feel like paying the rent or not, and that is their right.  The mortgage holder, aka the landlord, will simply have to find some other way of paying the mortgage"

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of N@thanN@than
    Participant
    @n-than

And Christmas presents are Mandatory…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.