All Topics / Help Needed! / Reference checks

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of renelrenel
    @renel

What questions can do / do you ask when phoning a potential tennant's references?

Would you ask for work ref, personal ref and landlord ref? Or is landlord enough?

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

Focus on the landlord and the employer to confirm income (friends – what are they going to say?).

You should get a copy of their tenant ledger ie payments to the landlord – confirms frequency, regularity, amount paid and length of tenure. Questions to ask – how did they present the property at inspections, were they reliable, were there any issues during the tenure, how was the property left when they vacated, was the entire bond released?

Work reference confirms how much they get and whether they can afford the rent, how long in the job, reliability, personal presentation and the like.

Profile photo of renelrenel
    @renel

Brilliant, just want I was after!

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Great advice from Scott.

I put a lot more weight on a professional PM's reference rather than a private PM's reference. I've had a few where it's quite obvious that the private PM is a friend of the applicant.

If it's a private landlord, think about throwing in a question or two that a landlord should know – ask them about the type of lease they were signed up to or something similar.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.